Reload this Page >

457 visa -HELP!!!

457 visa -HELP!!!

Old Dec 31st 2002, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Tom O'hara is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 457 visa -HELP!!!

Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of applying to move to Oz under this type of visa as it is the only suitable visa for me and my family.

My problem is that they are changing the rules as of 1/3/03 which may exclude me from applying uner this visa.

I need help from anyone who has successfully applied under this visa on what format the BUSINESS PROPOSAL should take as there is very little info within the high commission website.

If anyone can help that would be superb.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 10:28 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa -HELP!!!

Originally posted by Tom O'hara
Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of applying to move to Oz under this type of visa as it is the only suitable visa for me and my family.

My problem is that they are changing the rules as of 1/3/03 which may exclude me from applying uner this visa.

I need help from anyone who has successfully applied under this visa on what format the BUSINESS PROPOSAL should take as there is very little info within the high commission website.

Hi Tom,
Not sure of the "proper format", but from my experience put EVERYTHING you can think of in, make it as long as possible. Include proposals for numbers of employees and in what time frame you plan to employ people. You will also need as much "proof' as possible about your previous business, accounts, references, business cards, everything helps. Are you going to apply for your PR through this catagory aswell?, if so you need to know qualifying turnover, number of employees etc.
Good luck
AL
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:17 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa -HELP!!!

Tom,

Have a look at the details in this link:
http://www.immi.gov.au/business/tr457.htm

The key issues as we see them when submitting your Business Plan are to ensure you address the time of application issues, and the following Regulations in particular:

457.111(2)(a)
The activity must contribute to one of four benefits:

- the creation or maintenance of employment for Australians; or
- expansion of Australian trade in goods or services; or
- improvement of Australian business links with international markets; or
- competitiveness within sectors of the Australian economy;

Only one job would need to be created or maintained to satisfy this test, but remember, it cannot be the applicant’s job. It must be the job of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

and, under 457.233(7)(b), to have a genuine and realistic commitment:

(i) to maintain or obtain an ownership interest in a business in Australia; and
(ii) to maintain a direct and continuous involvement in the management of the business; and
(iii) to make decisions that affect the overall direction and performance of the business from day to day;

This is expanded on further in respect of the background of applicant :

"Generally, the applicant would be expected to have a background of business management or employment in business. Regulation 457.223(7)(e) requires that their background be relevant to, and consistent with, the proposed business activities in Australia.

- Research or knowledge of Australian business environment Things to consider include whether the applicant has made any business-related exploratory visits to Australia; is aware of Australian business practices and requirements and has undertaken market research and/or market testing of proposed products, services or business concepts.

- Degree of planning by the applicant for the proposed business
Applicants need to indicate their business intentions in Australia. While they are not required to have a formal business plan, if they do not have one they will need to demonstrate in other ways that they have carefully thought out their business proposal.

Other factors that may indicate a degree of planning include whether the applicant has business contacts such as partners, joint venture partners, advisers, accountants, and suppliers in Australia; and whether the applicant has made financial projections for the business.

- The applicant's existing business activities

At the time of decision, the applicant may have already undertaken some activities in the business in Australia. You could consider whether the applicant has already been present in Australia as the holder of an Independent Executive visa, has incorporated a business, bought a business property and equipment, employed staff or commenced trading.

- Business, investment or other links with Australia
Factors you could consider include whether the applicant has pre-existing links with Australia such as links between their overseas business and suppliers or purchasers in Australia; whether the applicant belongs to any Australian professional associations; and whether the applicant has studied or worked in Australia."

Hope this helps. Happy to help if you want to mail me directly and explore costs, etc. but you need to move quickly in view of the abolition of the 457-IE subclass for applications received after 28/02/2003.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Tom O'hara
Hi Everyone,

Old Feb 11th 2003, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa

We are mid way thro putting in our application for a 457 Business visa.
As I understand it the rules are very simple:
- you must employ at least 3 people full time
- you must have at least A$250,000 turnover
- you must invest at least A$100,000
Oz Govt does not care about your profitability as long as you keep going - at least 18 months before meeting the above rules before you can apply for PR and you have 4 years total to get the business up and running including the last 2 months in which you put in the application.
You then have to continue to run the business at least 2 years after you get your PR.
If you do not get it all submitted before end Feb the rules get a lot worse
Best of luck
Art