Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa, health insurance, surcharge.

457 visa, health insurance, surcharge.

Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 visa, health insurance, surcharge.

Hello,
I will be entering Australia on a 457 visa in November. Although there is reciprocal health care (I am from Holland) I would be entitled to, my employer insists of me getting appropriate insurance myself. I am busy to arrange health insurance via iselect (thanks to recommendations on this forum). As I will be earning more than 73k I will face the medicare surcharge, which I’d like to avoid by taking private insurance.

So the question I asked iselect is to provide me a decent health insurance cover that would meet 457visa requirements as well as would waive my surcharge.

Apparently there is not 1 such package, so they suggested me to have two covers:
• 1 premium cover (OVC) of Australian Unity (for 457 visa, the premium cover is required since this month)
• 1 basic cover of AHM (to waive surcharge)

This really sounds unlogical to me, but this was their reaction:

Hello Wim,

We have just been informed by Australian Unity, that if clients are on a 457 VISA they must purchase the Premium Cover - as that is now a requirement. Im sorry for the late notice.

Also, if you are earning over 73k, then you also need to purchase a basic hospital cover, which i sent out to you also. The AHM basic hospital cover.

If you travel outside Australia, you will need Travel insurance, as your health insurance will not cover you.

So i have attached another copy of the brochure.

Please let me know how you go, if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards

Once again, this sounds unlogical to me. There must be a provider out there who could meet my need?
Undoubtedly some of the people on this forum must have faced a similar situation? I would happy to hear from you!
Many thanks.

Wim
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa, health insurance, surcharge.

I don't believe that there is. I have done a reasonable amount of research and haven't yet found an Insurance Company whose primary policy covers this issue - you have to work out how much over the threshhold you earn and whether it is cost effective to take out the additional policy to cover it.

It goes without saying that this is not the issue with PR holders and whose primary policy is about half the cost!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:19 pm
ABCDiamond

You may find this of interest... from 14th September 2009...

Do subclass 457 visa holders need to have health insurance and if so who pays?

It is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members.
In addition, Condition 8501 requires all visa holders, including accompanying family members, maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.
Failure to comply with a visa condition may result in your visa being cancelled.

Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be considered as having met this requirement.
Therefore any 'excess' insurance could be lapsed once you have arrived and registered for Medicare.

Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You may find this of interest... from 14th September 2009...

Therefore any 'excess' insurance could be lapsed once you have arrived and registered for Medicare.

Where did you find that info?

Please!!

Found it - thanks

still doesn't sort out the issue regarding surcharge though - unfortunately

Last edited by Hebe; Sep 21st 2009 at 12:38 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ABCDiamond!
I'll check with Medicare just to be sure. If this is really the case half of the issue would be solved.

Still i would need a good cover to waive surcharge. Anybody out there with a 457 who could tell how they have coped with this?