Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Visa Granted

457 Visa Granted

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

che2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really nice
Default 457 Visa Granted

Received an email today letting me know that my Visa has been granted.

Just trying to sort out the OH's visa and hopefully get to Oz in November. Thats if the OH can get over the fear of being away from friends and family while pregnant.

Tough times ahead.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa Granted

Originally Posted by che2318

Just trying to sort out the OH's visa and hopefully get to Oz in November. Thats if the OH can get over the fear of being away from friends and family while pregnant.

Tough times ahead.
Congratulations on the visa grant.

The other part is not so easy.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

che2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really nice

Thanks.

Indeed, maybe the hormone levels will be at a safe level to negiotiate with tonight.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tough times ahead.
Congrats on the visa!! Why isn't your partner coming on your 457?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, your poor partner - it takes a great deal of strength to be on your own in a foreign country and pregnant/new mum. Are you sure you are being fair to ask her to do it? Unless she is highly self sufficient and independent she is going to struggle.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:31 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
Hmm, your poor partner - it takes a great deal of strength to be on your own in a foreign country and pregnant/new mum. Are you sure you are being fair to ask her to do it? Unless she is highly self sufficient and independent she is going to struggle.
I agree it might be to much with the move, job and new country and not to forget no friends around.
Cant you wait a while as if you make her come to oz and she gets a down felling then it could drive a big wedge between you both and thats not the way to start a new life
moving is very stressfull just by its self
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, but why wasnt your OH included on your 457 application? I was automatically included on my husband's.

I am finding moving to be very stressful - trying to find a house, job etc all with no family support around and i am 100% commited to this move, so for your OH to be doing that and being pregnant especially if she isnt 100% about the move as well is really going to try your relationship. Also what health cover is she going to have for the pregnancy once she arrives here? I understand it isnt cheap for healthcare
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the visa

Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:02 am
Just Joined

oh well.....plans change...

Discussed it last night and told her to be honest about how she feels, she said she wanted to have the baby in the UK because it is our first and she is worried that she won't know what to do with everything. She was worried to tell me earlier in case I was upset or angry with her. She seemed alot more happier about travelling to Oz 6-7 months after our baby is born.

So I will have to change a few things. Like speaking to the company and seeing if I can wait till after or maybe go out in November and do the 3 month probationary period then travel back to the UK for a while then come back to Oz with the 3 of us.

She is being added to my 457 visa, just have to prove De-facto relationship.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:06 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Please check out things here first before you make the move with a new born, as because you are on a temporary visa 457 you are not classified as a australia person so when you think that you will get family help from centre link you dont, on a 457 visa you will get very little help from state goverment.
Its only when you get on a pr visa you get family help, rent help, child care payments health care etc, you will need to pay for your own health care just incase any one gets ill and needs to see doctor or hospital etc
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Trevski
Please check out things here first before you make the move with a new born, as because you are on a temporary visa 457 you are not classified as a australia person so when you think that you will get family help from centre link you dont, on a 457 visa you will get very little help from state goverment.
Its only when you get on a pr visa you get family help, rent help, child care payments health care etc, you will need to pay for your own health care just incase any one gets ill and needs to see doctor or hospital etc
I have already looked at the Medibank cover and will be getting the full family cover. Hopefully the company will be paying LAFHA but have not discussed it with them yet.

Hopefully will not need child care for a few years after the baby is born as the other half will not be working.

Of course, all this is subject to change and I will have to cross each hurdle as it comes my way.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hormone levels brought us home

Since the baby was born all she talks about is going back, I never wanted to come home but I just cant finance another move to the otherside of the world again.

Hope it all works out for you and those pesky Hormones dont create the biggest mind**** you'll ever experience !!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

She is being added to my 457 visa, just have to prove De-facto relationship.
This isn't the way to do it, she should have been on the visa application in the first place, now you will have to explain why she wasn't as well as have to go through another application process. It is definitely not easier doing it this way.

Don't know what work you are in but the company might not really go for you doing three months now and then going back to UK for a year or so. Perhaps it will turn out that this is not the right time for you.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 24th 2011 at 8:29 pm. Reason: fixing the quote :)
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
This isn't the way to do it, she should have been on the visa application in the first place, now you will have to explain why she wasn't as well as have to go through another application process. It is definitely not easier doing it this way.

Don't know what work you are in but the company might not really go for you doing three months now and then going back to UK for a year or so. Perhaps it will turn out that this is not the right time for you.
My colleague added his partner after they arrived, it wasn't really any hassle. Hindsight is a great thing and unless you really understand the Visa system (does anybody REALLY understand it???) you tend to just go with what you are told by your , in this case, prospective employer.
However, this one is going to be tricky. To be blunt she has let you down, she should of told you BEFORE you started this process. Irrespective of whether or not you would of been upset or angry with her, you are now going to show your potential employer that you have a disruptive private life and that does not bode well. This should of been discussed openly and honestly from the start, this is not hindsight remarks this is commonsense. I had this issue when we had the opportunity of coming over, my wife is a village lass and very close to her family and I did not accept the offer until she was completely happy and making her own decision to come.
Migrating to another country on your own as a couple with no family back up can be extremely difficult, especially for stay at home mums as it can be lonely and bewildering. Is she mature enough to cope once you have had the child and she comes over? That actually sounds harsh and sexist but its not meant to be, ANY member of the family can find it difficult but being alone with a new child has its own nuances.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

I have already looked at the Medibank cover and will be getting the full family cover. Hopefully the company will be paying LAFHA but have not discussed it with them yet.

Hopefully will not need child care for a few years after the baby is born as the other half will not be working.

Of course, all this is subject to change and I will have to cross each hurdle as it comes my way.

Hey mate, congrats first off!

Having lived here on 457 for almost three years now, I definitely recommend you sort out the LAFHA now.

We lived without it for the first 18 months, as the sponsoring company refused to do it, and oh boy, was it tough to survive specially here in Sydney!

Sydney is extremely expensive, I think a recent poll puts it ahead of London, New York and Paris in terms of how expensive it is...

A LAFHA would mean that your rent and some food component will be covered from the tax offset, which makes huge difference as rent is exorbitant here!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.