British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   457 Visa - General info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/457-visa-general-info-375994/)

Riproarer May 27th 2006 10:36 am

457 Visa - General info

Recently moved out to Sydney via a transfer with work, and am on a Temp business 457 visa.

Was at the Sydney meet today, and someone mentioned that people on a 457 get their rental costs tax free.

If anyone else is on a 457 visa and knows more, please let us know. We have also been told that we can claim for numerous things, like tax back on flights back to Old Blighty, playgroups etc. I have yet to stumble across anything official on this, so if anyone could help that would be appreciated.

Luma May 27th 2006 11:25 am

Re: 457 Visa - General info

Read point 15 & 16
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

Originally Posted by Riproarer
Recently moved out to Sydney via a transfer with work, and am on a Temp business 457 visa.

Was at the Sydney meet today, and someone mentioned that people on a 457 get their rental costs tax free.

If anyone else is on a 457 visa and knows more, please let us know. We have also been told that we can claim for numerous things, like tax back on flights back to Old Blighty, playgroups etc. I have yet to stumble across anything official on this, so if anyone could help that would be appreciated.

Riproarer May 27th 2006 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Luma

So in essence a 457 is a load of tosh, and it's best to try and get the pr as soon as poss.
I know of a few that have got/getting the firm to sponsor pr, looks like something i need to do

Thanks

Mrs Jackaroo May 27th 2006 11:36 am

So in essence a 457 is a load of tosh, and it's best to try and get the pr as soon as poss.
I know of a few that have got/getting the firm to sponsor pr, looks like something i need to do

Thanks

We're getting out rent tax free and get emergency medicare but cant claim child care assistance etc. This varies wildly with people on 457 depending on whether or not they've secured a LAFHA package.

HTH

Rach xxxx

Sandra May 28th 2006 11:54 pm

Thanks

The 457 is a definte way of coming and spending a few years in a country which for some may be the only way in - it defintely helped us :)

Yes you need to talk to your company about LAFHA (which can amount to a fairly decent tax break - your payroll/HR department should know about it). Each company supporting a LAFHA arrangement can cover different named costs for different employees, eg for some child care is included but for others flights to and from original country might be included. The total package is an arrangement with your company but will be within the tax guidelines. Also talk soon with your company about sponsoring you for PR on the Employer nominated route.

Good luck

Sandra...also at the Sydney meet ;)

Sattman May 29th 2006 1:36 am

We are also on a 457 in Sydney.

The LAFHA has to be negotiated and accepted as part of your contract I believe.

There are two components, an ATO prescribed food allowance, which I think is about $900 tax free, and a rental component which for us means that the amount that we pay on rent is also tax free in my salary.

For us, it works out to just over $3000 of my monthly pay which is tax free. Thats a big wedge in my pocket rather than the ATO.

However, the company HR department have also made it clear that if / when I apply for PR or sell my house back at home, I will no longer be entitled to the LAFHA.

Edit : Didn't make the meet as the weather was so bad, and had to be in work at 4. Look forward to the next one.

TillyG May 29th 2006 4:33 am

We get the LAFHA. Don't get a food allowance. We get most of our rental as tax free - not all of it as we have a 3bed place but only need 2bed.

BUT, because DH's work didn't get around to doing it until last pay-check, it messed our tax up and DH's pay was seriously under last fortnight. Hopefully it will right itself when he gets paid this week. Then we'll have to claim a rebate from the tax office.

Great :rolleyes:

The 457 visa sucks... I didn't realise how restrictive it was. I didn't realise that we would be taxed as non-residents. We honestly thought we would be quids-in by coming here. Hoping, now, that we can break even :(

JAJ May 29th 2006 4:50 am

Originally Posted by TillyG
The 457 visa sucks... I didn't realise how restrictive it was. I didn't realise that we would be taxed as non-residents.

That doesn't sound right. You should normally be taxed as residents if you are living in Australia, tax residency and permanent residence are not the same thing.

You should also be aware of the exemptions coming in from 1 July 2006 on foreign-source income for temporary residents.

TillyG May 29th 2006 5:02 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
That doesn't sound right. You should normally be taxed as residents if you are living in Australia, tax residency and permanent residence are not the same thing.

You should also be aware of the exemptions coming in from 1 July 2006 on foreign-source income for temporary residents.

Well, DH has been taxed at non-resident rates and we are told that's what will continue next tax year. I'll get DH to ask his payroll people again.

ianandhelena May 29th 2006 5:03 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

hi Jeremy
what exemptions are those?
where can i find out more?
thanks
ian

DianneH68 May 29th 2006 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
hi Jeremy
what exemptions are those?
where can i find out more?
thanks
ian

Yes I'd like to know about that too please. Thanks!

Bix May 29th 2006 10:13 am

I think it's this........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=temporary+tax

DianneH68 May 29th 2006 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bix

Aha. thanks for that. Am even more confused now though...don't you just love government speak :rolleyes:
Will look into it a bit more I guess