Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa cancelled - in limbo, can we use flights?

457 visa cancelled - in limbo, can we use flights?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Jessica-Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 visa cancelled - in limbo, can we use flights?

Hello,

My partner has been let go from his company and he held the 457 visa. His company has offered to fly us home however, we are going to try and stay here and get a new 457 visa through me. We had planned on travelling to the UK anyway to visit relatives. Can we use the flights that his company have offered, and then pay for our own return flight. (assuming that we manage to sort a new 457 visa in the meantime and can return to auz). Or can the flights only be used if we're planning on moving back permanently?

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa cancelled - in limbo, can we use flights?

Originally Posted by Jessica-Jane
Hello,

My partner has been let go from his company and he held the 457 visa. His company has offered to fly us home however, we are going to try and stay here and get a new 457 visa through me. We had planned on travelling to the UK anyway to visit relatives. Can we use the flights that his company have offered, and then pay for our own return flight. (assuming that we manage to sort a new 457 visa in the meantime and can return to auz). Or can the flights only be used if we're planning on moving back permanently?

Thanks
Simple, don't tell them
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see why you can't use the return flights offered.

But you may have issues using your existing 457 visa to re-enter Australia, and has the visa really been cancelled already?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Jessica-Jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I cannot see why you can't use the return flights offered.

But you may have issues using your existing 457 visa to re-enter Australia, and has the visa really been cancelled already?
Yep, my partners visa cancellation has gone to immigration. Hopefully I should sort a new 457 for the both of us in the meantime (it's being processed) and we could re-enter on the new one.

The 'don't tell them' approach has also been suggested to me. I'm hoping we can ask for a flexible ticket and then postpone it a little as well.

Obviously I don't want to get into trouble, but a lot about visa's is very grey!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessica-Jane
Yep, my partners visa cancellation has gone to immigration. Hopefully I should sort a new 457 for the both of us in the meantime (it's being processed) and we could re-enter on the new one.

The 'don't tell them' approach has also been suggested to me. I'm hoping we can ask for a flexible ticket and then postpone it a little as well.

Obviously I don't want to get into trouble, but a lot about visa's is very grey!
The issue with the flights isn't really connected to the visa. The flights issue is whether the company are happy for you to use the flights when you aren't going home after all. As has been suggested, if you don't tell them you are coming back, how will they know? DIAC won't care who paid for the flight.

The visa issue is a different one - if your 457 is cancelled you can't re-enter on it. So before you can return to Aus you need to ensure that the new one has been granted. If it hasn't they won't let you on the plane. As a last resort you could get e-visitors and come on those while you wait for the grant - if you do so you need to tell DIAC thats what you're doing.