Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa. Can my wife work ?

457 visa. Can my wife work ?

Old Dec 13th 2003, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 457 visa. Can my wife work ?

I know that I can't work for anyone but myself as I have the 457 visa. But we have heard that my wife can get a job.

Can anyone confirm this, if so, is there another visa involved.
Old Dec 13th 2003, 6:55 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa. Can my wife work ?

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
I know that I can't work for anyone but myself as I have the 457 visa. But we have heard that my wife can get a job.

Can anyone confirm this, if so, is there another visa involved.
Whether or not your wife can get a job depends on several factors But if she manages to get a job offer, her 457 visa would allow her to work legally.

See also: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...57+spouse+work

Peter
Old Dec 13th 2003, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

ianmwilliams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The easy answer is..YES SHE CAN!! and she can work unrestricted!

I am on a 457 waiting for PR to come through and I am restricted to work within my 'skills in demand' (I.T).
You can work for anyone as long as they are prepared to sponsor you, and as long as the DIMIA approve their sponsorship.

As for the wife, she can work in whatever job she wants and for whoever she wants! (although she has chosen at present to look after our daughter until she is old enough to go to some form of school)

Hope this helps, by the way its frickin hot here today (its only 7.30 am and Its hotter than any U.K summer!!!)and we are off to buy some food before we meet up with the other people from this forum in Brisbane.. great day for a BBQ!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally posted by ianmwilliams
Hi,

I am on a 457 waiting for PR to come through and I am restricted to work within my 'skills in demand' (I.T).
You can work for anyone as long as they are prepared to sponsor you, and as long as the DIMIA approve their sponsorship.

As for the wife, she can work in whatever job she wants and for whoever she wants! (although she has chosen at present to look after our daughter until she is old enough to go to some form of school)

Hope this helps, by the way its frickin hot here today (its only 7.30 am and Its hotter than any U.K summer!!!)and we are off to buy some food before we meet up with the other people from this forum in Brisbane.. great day for a BBQ!
Thanks for your reply's.
All the best
Andrew
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ianmwilliams
Hi,

Yep this is correct. I am also in Oz on an Employer Sponsored 457 Visa and while I have to keep working for my sponsor until I get my PR visa, my husband can and does work for anyone of his choice.

(and earns more money and gets treated better than me because he is not an indentured slave like I am and can leave whenever he likes.)

Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:00 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunlover
(and earns more money and gets treated better than me because he is not an indentured slave like I am and can leave whenever he likes.)
Have you considered applying for a permanent visa then, if you and/or your husband qualify.

Peter
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ptlabs
Have you considered applying for a permanent visa then, if you and/or your husband qualify.

Peter
We have applied. We went for the medicals last week. We are hoping it will be any month now.......

Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:11 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

We have applied. We went for the medicals last week. We are hoping it will be any month now.......

Well, excuse me for my ignorance. I don't read this forum as often as I really should.

If you don't already know, you need to leave Australia in order to be granted an offshore skilled visa (e.g. subclass 136 skilled independent). The popular places to go for an enforced holiday seems to be Singapore and NZ.

Peter
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ptlabs
Well, excuse me for my ignorance. I don't read this forum as often as I really should.

If you don't already know, you need to leave Australia in order to be granted an offshore skilled visa (e.g. subclass 136 skilled independent). The popular places to go for an enforced holiday seems to be Singapore and NZ.

Peter
Thanks I do - am planning a blissful idyll in Vanuata which has a visa issuing office.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:32 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I do - am planning a blissful idyll in Vanuata which has a visa issuing office.

Do BOTH you and hubby have to leave Oz, or just the principal applicant?

(We're part way down this track, too.)
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:55 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Do BOTH you and hubby have to leave Oz, or just the principal applicant?

(We're part way down this track, too.)
All of the people involved in the visa - eg in Husband case as principle applicant, I had to leave and two children to validate PR, even though we were already here on my 457 temp.

Bloody nuisance rule! IMOP

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:01 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Sandra
All of the people involved in the visa - eg in Husband case as principle applicant, I had to leave and two children to validate PR, even though we were already here on my 457 temp.

Bloody nuisance rule! IMOP

Cheers
Looks like a holiday in NZ..... Goody! I can get to meet FRODO!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:04 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to the Uk - got PeopleSoft! to let me work over there for a couple of weeks and then holidayed!

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:07 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Sandra
I went back to the Uk - got PeopleSoft! to let me work over there for a couple of weeks and then holidayed!

Cheers
You're joking - you work for PeopleSoft? Where? Chatswood?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:23 am
Gone Senile Member

Chatswood 8th Floor GP Development!

Nice Company to work for - even if we only get four weeks holiday!

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.