Reload this Page >

On 457 visa can I get medicare

On 457 visa can I get medicare

Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:17 am
Just Joined

mandy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On 457 visa can I get medicare

Hi All.
Can anyone help, on a 457 visa, do you know if we can get medicare or do we need full private health insurance.
Regard
mandy
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: On 457 visa can I get medicare

If you are a UK citizen then you are entitled to reciprocal medicare. It's not full medicare but supposedly limited to essential treatment only. We've used it lots since we've been here (8 months on a 457) and have not had to pay for anything. It's even better if you find a bulk billing surgery as you don't have to pay and then claim back afterwards.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:40 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandy99
Hi All.
Can anyone help, on a 457 visa, do you know if we can get medicare or do we need full private health insurance.
Regard
mandy
Hi Mandy

Yes, you are entiltled to Medicare. We'er on a 457 also and use it as required.

Basically.... some doctors will charge the full fee for a consultation (I went on saturday and it cost $60). I will go the the Medicare office this week and get most of that back.
Other doctors will 'Bulk Bill' where they charge the Medicare system.

Just watch it if your going to NSW on a 457.. I understand you have to pay for schooling!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

sorry to hijack the post a bit but I thought you had to pay for schooling anywhere on a 457?

Hoping to go to Perth later this year
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

mandy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Thank you thats a great help. One more quesion on a 457 do i have to pay for state schooling. Or is it free. regards mandy
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife2be
sorry to hijack the post a bit but I thought you had to pay for schooling anywhere on a 457?

Hoping to go to Perth later this year
State schooling (apart from books, uniform etc) is free for 457 holders in all states apart from NSW where it will cost you roughly $5k per child per year.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Thats great news, thanks from me too
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:29 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are going to canberra on a 457 sponsored visa and need to pay for school fees. Thinks it's $9500. From what we can make out school fees where we are going would be free if OH was skilled (and sponsored).

We are looking at private schools which seem to be less expensive than the state schools. Have spoken to a lady in the education department who has confirmed the above for us that we will have to pay. So I suppose it depends on where you go, and if like us you are on a sponsored visa but aren't skilled then the company may pay for you? That's if you are heading to a state where you have to pay!

Carmel
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
If you are a UK citizen then you are entitled to reciprocal medicare.
Not necessarily if you were not previously resident in the UK.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
Hi,

We are going to canberra on a 457 sponsored visa and need to pay for school fees. Thinks it's $9500. From what we can make out school fees where we are going would be free if OH was skilled (and sponsored).
How did he get a 457 visa if he is not "skilled" in the first place?

Education would be free if you were a permanent resident. However,if you read the ACT policy on school fees for temporary resident students you should notice:
http://www.det.act.gov.au/policies/p...gingpolicy.pdf

4.3 In situations where temporary resident visa holders have a sponsor in Australia it is expected that the sponsor will meet the costs for the education of dependants.

Canberra is eligible for RSMS so why on earth is your employer not sponsoring you for permanent residence this way? What's his occupation?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

It mentions on the '457 visa restrictions' on this site, that going on the 457 make it harder for the OH to get a job, has anyone experienced this? It just we're currently have the choic3e to go on the 136 or 457.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:42 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JAJ,
Thanks for that, pm'd you.
Carmel
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by lastone
It mentions on the '457 visa restrictions' on this site, that going on the 457 make it harder for the OH to get a job, has anyone experienced this? It just we're currently have the choic3e to go on the 136 or 457.
If you have a choice, why on earth would you want to be a temporary resident rather than a permanent resident?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by carmele
Hi JAJ,
Thanks for that, pm'd you.
Carmel
You asked about RSMS. Recommended to download and read booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm

ENS may also be an option.

All depends on what formal qualifications your OH has.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have a choice, why on earth would you want to be a temporary resident rather than a permanent resident?
I've tried explaining this to the wife, but patience isn't one of her strong points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.