Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 very quick but..............

457 very quick but..............

Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default 457 very quick but..............

...................not sure I really understand the drawbacks.

We are applying on a 457 - 4 year employer sponsored visa which has the advantage of being very quick (applied at the end of May and current estimate is approval by the end of July) and less medical requirement (no full medical for me and my wife - xray only - but a full medical for the kids). We intent to apply for PR once we are there.

I have heard that there are some tax benefits to being on a 457 but what are the main drawbacks?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Default Re: 457 very quick but..............

Originally Posted by MartinH
...................not sure I really understand the drawbacks.

We are applying on a 457 - 4 year employer sponsored visa which has the advantage of being very quick (applied at the end of May and current estimate is approval by the end of July) and less medical requirement (no full medical for me and my wife - xray only - but a full medical for the kids). We intent to apply for PR once we are there.

I have heard that there are some tax benefits to being on a 457 but what are the main drawbacks?

The main disadvantage I found was that you're stuck with that employer until you get your PR and believe me a few months can seem a long time if you are going in a job that makes you physically sick!!!!
Won't they sponsor you for PR instead?

Mandy
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the position that I got a job via a 457 visa where I am unhappy - it was not where I asked for, nor told where I would be sent, which was discussed during the interview...

You are tied to that employer for the length of your visa, and have no choice but to work full-time. This might be fine if you are happy, but if not it can be an awful time.

I am now in the process of applying for 136 SI, which I wish I had done in the first place...

Cas
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:36 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Everything explained here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447