British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   457 Termination (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/457-termination-569919/)

s1mon321 Oct 28th 2008 11:40 pm

457 Termination

I have a colleague who was over here on a 457 and has had their post terminated (due to current financial climate).

Having left the firm they tried to find another sponsor, but have been unable to do this. They are meant to leave the country in ten days.

Our employer has had no contact with my colleague since they left, and have not attempted to book or pay for their flight home.

How 'responsible' are the employer for the current situation? Should the booking of the flight be part of the termination process?

Would love to know what you think?

Ta

Simon

stevemich Oct 28th 2008 11:59 pm

Re: 457 Termination

I would suggest your friend take advice from a migration agent ASAP.
My understanding though is that the employer is responsible for repatriation to the origin country of all people associated with the visa (i.e. whole family). I do nto believe they have a responsibility to pay for shipment of belongings, although this is sometimes negotiated into the contract.
I hope it works out for your friend - this would have been my nightmare scenario when I was on a 457.

sparkley23 Oct 29th 2008 2:42 am

Company are responsible for flights. They will often only cough up when you remind them of their obligations as quite often visa holders aren't aware and when staff leave of their own accord they will just pay for their own flights home even though if they asked, the company would have to pay

Aberboy Oct 29th 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by s1mon321 (Post 6919887)
I have a colleague who was over here on a 457 and has had their post terminated (due to current financial climate).

Having left the firm they tried to find another sponsor, but have been unable to do this. They are meant to leave the country in ten days.

Our employer has had no contact with my colleague since they left, and have not attempted to book or pay for their flight home.

How 'responsible' are the employer for the current situation? Should the booking of the flight be part of the termination process?

Would love to know what you think?

Ta

Simon

oooooh,, that's a nightmare!!
Could I ask what's his/her job? It seesm your friend has been affected by the economic slowdown very early.

s1mon321 Oct 29th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Aberboy (Post 6921077)
oooooh,, that's a nightmare!!
Could I ask what's his/her job? It seesm your friend has been affected by the economic slowdown very early.

She's an Architect. Construction industry slow-down takes effect quite quickly!!

Defo a nightmare!