Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 the saga goes on

457 the saga goes on

Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy 457 the saga goes on

Ok so about 4 months ago a company offered me 457 sponsorship in Perth.

We agreed and they started the visa process. At this point we still had not spoken about money etc but I figured that time will come. So a month passed and I had not had any contact from the company. I dropped them a mail to see what was happing and was informed they are waiting to here back about the 457. Another month and no contact so I sent another mail. Same story. At this point I have still not filled any forms or sent any info away for the via app.

I waited another month and emailed the guy. In fact I sent 3 emails with no response. So I assumed that they had changed there minds and we made alternative plans. No out of the blue I get an e-mail saying they are still keen to get me over and have hired a new migration agent as the last one was no good.

All very confused about what to do. Do I wait for this company to maybe get things sorted or cut my loses and say they are too late. I have another job lined up that I need to decide about in the next few weeks. Don't really want to let that one go without anything set in stone.

Not a gripe about the visa process as I know some people wait years and we are pretty lucky to have this offer. Just the complete lack of communication and the expectation that I am sitting here ready to go when they finally get their act together.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 the saga goes on

So are you saying that this company is applying for a 457 for you and you still haven't talked financial terms?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:28 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I speak from experience, and I would tend to trust the company that is up front about salary/package/relocation costs etc etc.

If the original company cant come up with those kinds of details, then you will probably find that you will be milked so long as they have you on a temp visa with the risk of having to leave the country if you get laid off or want to leave.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

When I ask them about contracts etc they keep saying that once the visa process is underway they will talk numbers. Seems daft to me as they are going to pay out money for the process and if we can't agree terms then it is a waste of time.

I am inclined to think the same. Why are they not up front about salary etc. Are they laid back/confident we can sort it out or just planning to back me into a corner. One of the two.

Think I am just going to say unless I get something in writing asap then they can look elsewhere. Don't really want to tell them to get lost and lose a good opportunity but at the same time no point dragging it out if it is going nowhere
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:54 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
When I ask them about contracts etc they keep saying that once the visa process is underway they will talk numbers. Seems daft to me as they are going to pay out money for the process and if we can't agree terms then it is a waste of time.

I am inclined to think the same. Why are they not up front about salary etc. Are they laid back/confident we can sort it out or just planning to back me into a corner. One of the two.

Think I am just going to say unless I get something in writing asap then they can look elsewhere. Don't really want to tell them to get lost and lose a good opportunity but at the same time no point dragging it out if it is going nowhere
I told my employers to stick it up their arse because it was taking so long, and that I wasnt interested in the job anymore, and hey presto, all of a sudden they woke up and the application got sorted pretty quickly after that.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by furkew
I told my employers to stick it up their arse because it was taking so long, and that I wasnt interested in the job anymore, and hey presto, all of a sudden they woke up and the application got sorted pretty quickly after that.
Yeah I think that is what is going to have to happen. Cheers for the info
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
Ok so about 4 months ago a company offered me 457 sponsorship in Perth.

We agreed and they started the visa process. At this point we still had not spoken about money etc but I figured that time will come. So a month passed and I had not had any contact from the company. I dropped them a mail to see what was happing and was informed they are waiting to here back about the 457. Another month and no contact so I sent another mail. Same story. At this point I have still not filled any forms or sent any info away for the via app.

I waited another month and emailed the guy. In fact I sent 3 emails with no response. So I assumed that they had changed there minds and we made alternative plans. No out of the blue I get an e-mail saying they are still keen to get me over and have hired a new migration agent as the last one was no good.

All very confused about what to do. Do I wait for this company to maybe get things sorted or cut my loses and say they are too late. I have another job lined up that I need to decide about in the next few weeks. Don't really want to let that one go without anything set in stone.

Not a gripe about the visa process as I know some people wait years and we are pretty lucky to have this offer. Just the complete lack of communication and the expectation that I am sitting here ready to go when they finally get their act together.
Sounds like small company, no real understanding of sponsorship process, no confirmed position agreed by DIAC, no salary structure.
Bin it....it will only get painful!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Is this a construction company by any chance ? If so, can you let me know who it is by PM.

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

No it's an IT company I am afraid. Are you having similar troubles?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

brodge is an unknown quantity at this point

My situation at present is that the company I would be working for are waiting for a 3rd party to sign off the deal. They have talked salary etc with me and also had a draft contract through. I have filled in the relevant forms for the 457 and sent them through to the visa broker. Only waiting for the official contract through once the 3rd party have signed...

If I was you defo give them an ultimatum with regards at least sending you a draft contract offer... otherwise sack em off...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:26 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brodge
My situation at present is that the company I would be working for are waiting for a 3rd party to sign off the deal. They have talked salary etc with me and also had a draft contract through. I have filled in the relevant forms for the 457 and sent them through to the visa broker. Only waiting for the official contract through once the 3rd party have signed...

If I was you defo give them an ultimatum with regards at least sending you a draft contract offer... otherwise sack em off...
So they are waiting to win the work/contract, before they confrim your employment? Sounds a strange process, waiting for a 3rd party to sign off on the deal.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
So they are waiting to win the work/contract, before they confrim your employment? Sounds a strange process, waiting for a 3rd party to sign off on the deal.
Basically the systems integrator is in contract negotations with their client, I would be working for a consultancy firm and subcontracted to work for the systems integrator.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:09 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by brodge
Basically the systems integrator is in contract negotations with their client, I would be working for a consultancy firm and subcontracted to work for the systems integrator.
Hmmmmm, is it a Transport project per chance? Intelligent Transport System or Rapid Transit??
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
Hmmmmm, is it a Transport project per chance? Intelligent Transport System or Rapid Transit??
No nothing to do with transport at all..
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

It's normal in EPCM work for the client to approve all expenditure, including hires. I had the same issue when I was offered my job. My company made the offer, client approval pending, then the client took two months as he wanted to hold off commencing the project as funding was an issue.

The big difference is that I was made an offer in principle with all the details and numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.