Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457-->rsms-->citizenship

457-->rsms-->citizenship

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:37 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default 457-->rsms-->citizenship

Its a long and winding road!

We are pretty young without too many obligations in life so I thought this would be the cheapest/easiest route!

Anyone got any ideas on the restrictions of rsms once in rural oz?

I have an ND in Engineering - HND in Agriculture and other related certificates.

I know there is a shortage of staff in regional WA - does anyone know how willing employers are to use the rsms??

Cheers

John
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457-->rsms-->citizenship

Originally Posted by Widdi
Its a long and winding road!

We are pretty young without too many obligations in life so I thought this would be the cheapest/easiest route!

Anyone got any ideas on the restrictions of rsms once in rural oz?

I have an ND in Engineering - HND in Agriculture and other related certificates.

I know there is a shortage of staff in regional WA - does anyone know how willing employers are to use the rsms??

Cheers

John
Not every employer is up to speed on the RSMS, but it's your job to convince them.

Under current law, time on a 457 visa does *not* count for Australian citizenship. Time on an RSMS visa does.

And while with RSMS you are obliged to stay with your employer for 2 years, if you get made redundant you keep your visa and can work anywhere else in Australia. With a 457 visa there's a serious risk of a one way trip home if you lose your job.

A total mess awaits those 457 holders where the employer refuses to sponsor for PR.

Having a child in Australia with an RSMS visa means the child is a citizen and you claim the full range of benefits. On a 457 - no benefits, no citizenship for the child.

As for restrictions, you're not being clear what you mean. Have you read the Employer-sponsored migration booklet?

No matter what age you are you ought to focus on the *best* way to get to Australia. Not the easiest or cheapest way.

And processing of RSMS visas does not normally take long, anyhow, provided the requirements are met.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

I already have a 457 through a rural agency.

This means the agency is my employer - This was a desision of "best" over cost because although they take 2% of my income - at least I can move employers if it doesnt work out and we are less likley to be sent packing.

I have told the agency that I only want employers ready to sponsor and have been told there are many -

Do you think this is a better idea than trying to work on a rsms from the UK ??(which I think would be hard work)

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Widdi
I already have a 457 through a rural agency.

This means the agency is my employer - This was a desision of "best" over cost because although they take 2% of my income - at least I can move employers if it doesnt work out and we are less likley to be sent packing.

I have told the agency that I only want employers ready to sponsor and have been told there are many -

Do you think this is a better idea than trying to work on a rsms from the UK ??(which I think would be hard work)

Thanks for your help
How can I tell?

If an employer is desperate to sponsor then they should be able to do an RSMS visa directly and forget the agency.

Bear in mind you might find employers reluctant to sponsor you directly if you are sent to them by an agency as they may be contractually obliged to give the agency a fat commission.

You may find yourself with a problem in terms of the 457 visa if the agency can't fin you enough work.

If you must go on a 457 visa, do it with your eyes wide open and understand the risks and issues. Read the thread '457 visa restrictions' at the top of this forum.

Jeremy