457 question

Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

foster1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 question

hi im currently just bee aproved for a 457 visa im wondering what sort if any credit can you obtain on this visa? credit card? loan? ect ect

many regards,
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 question

Hi Foster

Not really an immigration forum question, it might be worth asking a mod to move your thread to the main Australia forum to get a better selection of answers, many people in this part of the forum have never set foot in Australia.

Anyway, I have just arrived on a permanent visa and they did ask to see proof of our PR visa for our car loan. We haven't managed to get an Australian credit card yet, although we have not tried particularly hard. Being on a temporary visa will present some challenges but I am sure they can be overcome, as I say, you will get a better range of answers outside immigration forum.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Foster

Not really an immigration forum question, it might be worth asking a mod to move your thread to the main Australia forum to get a better selection of answers, many people in this part of the forum have never set foot in Australia.
Done
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by foster1989
hi im currently just bee aproved for a 457 visa im wondering what sort if any credit can you obtain on this visa? credit card? loan? ect ect

many regards,
I had a mortgage and credit card from Comm Bank. Nevr applied for any other type of loan so can't comment.

Mortgage is probably easiest to get as you can't skip the country with a house in your back pocket.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

As we have to transfer money back to uk for mortgage - we got uk loans as some v good deals out there... Just applied for credit card so will let you know...
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

many regards,
I am on 457, with Commbank, have credit card x 2 (work and personal) plus a car lease. Both expire one month before my original Visa expiry date. Just had to provide proof of expected salary and all sorted!
Bizarrely I can'y have an overdraft though!!!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
As we have to transfer money back to uk for mortgage - we got uk loans as some v good deals out there... Just applied for credit card so will let you know...
We transfer money back to UK every month for our mortgage, we use Tranzfers and its easy peasy, never had any problems with them/.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hi im currently just bee aproved for a 457 visa im wondering what sort if any credit can you obtain on this visa? credit card? loan?
All up to the bank, although considering the ease with with a 457 visa can leave Australia (or be thrown out) it is surprising that any credit is available.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JAJ
All up to the bank, although considering the ease with with a 457 visa can leave Australia (or be thrown out) it is surprising that any credit is available.
So therefore ALL persons who have credit in Australia should not be able to move freely in and out the country, just in case they do a runner then?? A silly statement and more to do with your negatives towards 457 Visa's rather than the point of the OP question.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
So therefore ALL persons who have credit in Australia should not be able to move freely in and out the country, just in case they do a runner then?? A silly statement and more to do with your negatives towards 457 Visa's rather than the point of the OP question.
Those with permanent residence or Australian citizenship: a. can't be forced to leave in 28 days, and b. have a lot more to lose by abandoning Australia. From a lender's point of view - completely different risk involved.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

many regards,
Hi, we are on a 457 visa. We bank with Westpac and were offered a credit card when we produced id at the branch on arrival in Melbourne. We just had to provide my OH contract of employment. We also have a car loan, again just had to prove income and outgoings.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I had 2 credit cards, a car loan secured to be paid off 1 month before expiry of visa, and we were going through the process of applying for a mortgage, which we ended up putting off, but the only thing the bank were asking for was proof of the deposit. Overall I don't think there's a lot you can't obtain on a 457 as long as you can prove willing to repay
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

foster1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, all these answers are perfect thank you all for answering my question. my next question lol ....i have only been in Australia for 8 weeks how soon have you guy applied for credit cards ect ...? just dont know if u have to build some sort of credit profile up first before credit

many regards

dale
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:11 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

hi all, all these answers are perfect thank you all for answering my question. my next question lol ....i have only been in Australia for 8 weeks how soon have you guy applied for credit cards ect ...? just dont know if u have to build some sort of credit profile up first before credit

many regards

dale
You need a full time job and confirmed salary, I assume you have a bank account so therefore just go ahead and ask the bank. BUT, some banks are not so accomodating as others, look at your options and then go for it. WE got our credit card 6 weeks after arriving.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have two credit cards american express and visa and a car on finance. Only issue was that the car loan could only be for the duration of the visa. Bit bizzare as the value of the loan is far less than the limit on my cards - but who said banks were bright. I know plenty of people with mortgages though the criteria is tighter and usually want a decent deposit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.