457 or PR!!!!

Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default 457 or PR!!!!

We have been in OZ since Oct 05 and came out on a 457 visa, we can now apply for PR but the big question is that i love OZ but i know one day i will return home, and that may be in 4 years time when our 457 visa runs out, but i have heard that if we don't go for PR we are entitled to all our tax back after the 4 years if we leave and stay on the 457, anybody know??
Cheers for any advice
Suzanne
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:23 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 or PR!!!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but why not work the four years, leave and then apply for PR if it worries you?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

That was another thought that was an option but i don't know how long you would have to stay out of oz for if you get all the tax back when you leave , i am presumming there must be a clause in it, whether you have to stay out of the country for so many months or years.
Suzanne
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by svinnes
We have been in OZ since Oct 05 and came out on a 457 visa, we can now apply for PR but the big question is that i love OZ but i know one day i will return home, and that may be in 4 years time when our 457 visa runs out, but i have heard that if we don't go for PR we are entitled to all our tax back after the 4 years if we leave and stay on the 457, anybody know??
Cheers for any advice

Suzanne
Not sure about getting your tax back... Superannuation yes, but tax is unlikely.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:37 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
Cheers for any advice
Suzanne
I think someone has got their wires crossed. You would not be entitled to all of your tax back.

Your residency status (not PR but tax residency) defines in which country you will be paying tax. In the year you leave and in which part of the year would possibly afford you a tax refund.

Certain visa status allows your overseas income to be non taxable (non assessable) in Oz where as PR or residents under other visas to have their worldwide income assessed.

I think you may also be entitled to withdrawal some or all of your super if you are departing Oz on a permanent basis - perhaps this is what you have heard of?

4 years is not along time but gaining PR in any country gives you "options" better to have options than not.

Take proper taxation advise not just heresay (no matter how well intentioned).