British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   457 NSW - House Buying Stamp Duty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/457-nsw-house-buying-stamp-duty-595151/)

Red_V_Roger Mar 3rd 2009 8:58 am

457 NSW - House Buying Stamp Duty

I'm just checking that I'm reading the NSW first home buyers info correctly.

I know we don't get first time buyers grant until we have PR, but do I read it correctly that PR is not required to claim the stamp duty free/reduced for houses up to $600K under the 'First Home Plus' scheme?

Their written terms in the guide suggest PR is not required, but their online 'test' suggests it is

ABCDiamond Mar 3rd 2009 9:13 am

Re: 457 NSW - House Buying Stamp Duty

Not sure about NSW, but QLD is:

To be eligible, you must:
  • never have held an interest in other residential land anywhere in the world
  • be at least 18 years of age
  • occupy the home as your principal place of residence within one year
There are no questions on the application form regarding citizenship, or residency, therefore it does appear that a person on a Temporary visa can get the First Home Buyers Stamp Duty Concession

They do say that the eligibility rules are NOT the same as for the First Home Owner Grant.

Red_V_Roger Mar 3rd 2009 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7340307)
Not sure about NSW, but QLD is:

To be eligible, you must:
  • never have held an interest in other residential land anywhere in the world
  • be at least 18 years of age
  • occupy the home as your principal place of residence within one year
There are no questions on the application form regarding citizenship, or residency, therefore it does appear that a person on a Temporary visa can get the First Home Buyers Stamp Duty Concession

They do say that the eligibility rules are NOT the same as for the First Home Owner Grant.

Thanks, in NSW in the First Home Owner Benefits Online Fact Sheet it states specifically that for the First Time Buyers Grant, you need to have one applicant with permanent residency - which I know.

Yet for the First Home Plus Scheme (stamp duty reduction) this is not a requirement of an 'eligible person'. However, the OSRAssist online questionnaire is stating that permanent residency is a requirement and in the documents required to make teh application, it also states to provide copy of PR visa.

ABCDiamond Mar 3rd 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 7340266)
Their written terms in the guide suggest PR is not required, but their online 'test' suggests it is

NSW is changing its Proof of Identity (POI) requirements on 19th April 2009

It may be something to do with that:

Until 19 April 2009, OSR will accept for processing either the current FHP application form (without POI requirements) or the new FHP application form (with POI requirements met). From 20 April 2009 only the new FHP application form, with POI requirements met, will be accepted.
If you get your application before the 19th April, you may be OK

However, I did look up the relevant Duties Act (Duties Act 1997 No 123), and I found the new rules are dated 1st March 2009.

Red_V_Roger Mar 3rd 2009 7:33 pm

I've e-mailed OSR to see if they can give me a certain answer...but posts I've found on other forums suggest its PR for both 1st time grant and stamp duty reduction :frown:

Red_V_Roger Mar 4th 2009 3:01 am

Here is my reply from NSW Office of State Rev. this is what I expected for the First Home Plus Scheme (stamp duty reduction), but I did think that the First Time Buyers Grant could be claimed retrospectively providing that house bought & PR granted within the same twelve months.

Dear Roger

Thank you for your email.

For both the First Home Owner Grant and the First Home Plus Schemes, at least one of the applicant must be a permanent resident at the date of the contract.

Regards

XXXXXX

Client Service Officer
First Home Benefits
Office of State Revenue
Ph: 1300 130 624

Looks like I'll have to find a few more dollars :sneaky:

ABCDiamond Mar 4th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 7343422)
Looks like I'll have to find a few more dollars :sneaky:

Are you able to apply before the 19th April, using the old form, with no POI requirement ?
http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/benefits/f...hplus/proofid/

Until 19 April 2009, OSR will accept for processing the current First Home Plus application form (without POI requirements)

Red_V_Roger Mar 4th 2009 6:17 pm

May be, just got to find a house first!