Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 long stay business visa HELP !!

457 long stay business visa HELP !!

Old May 30th 2004, 8:26 am
Just Joined

shellie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 long stay business visa HELP !!

Hi

Has anyone applied for this visa and where did you do it? My prospective employer has said I should go on a tourist visa and apply when we arrive. Really don't want to do this, we are selling everything and I want to know I have the visa in my pasport when we arrive.

Any help, reassurance would be appreciated

Thanks

Shellie
Old May 30th 2004, 9:05 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 long stay business visa HELP !!

Originally posted by shellie
Hi

Has anyone applied for this visa and where did you do it? My prospective employer has said I should go on a tourist visa and apply when we arrive. Really don't want to do this, we are selling everything and I want to know I have the visa in my pasport when we arrive.

Any help, reassurance would be appreciated

Thanks

Shellie
Can't really offer any advice on the 457 but would just say that you can't work if you're on a tourist visa. Have a look at DIMIA for starters.
Old May 30th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Shellie

You need to get your employer to agree to sponser you for a 457 visa. They have to nominate you to the DIMIA giving reasons why they are recruiting from abroad. If the nomination goes through, you would then send an application off to the DIMIA with the nomination approval. With this application, you would send certified copies of pasports, birth certs, marriage certs etc. Also copies of qualifications, references and experience for the job that you are being sponsered for. (ie if you are a bricklayer, you won't be able to get a company to sponser you as a electrician, if you get my drift). Takes about 2 months in total for the DIMIA to come to a decision.

Be warned. There are a lot of restrictions/limitations to being a temporary resident, against applying for permanent residency and then being a PR. However if you are one of those people that can't get enough points, then it may be your only way in to Australia. Most people use the temporary sponser visa to get in, then get their companies to sponser them for permament after a period of time.

As mentioned before, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK ON A TOURIST VISA!!!!

Get in contact if you need more info as I have been this route myself.

regards
Nick
Old May 30th 2004, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Nick

Thanks for the response. its all a big headache. I am a nurse and my employers have the agreement with DIMA that speeds the whole process up. They have also agreed to sponsor me for PR.

My big concern is not getting it sorted before we arrive, I know I can't work on a visitor visa and we also have to waste money on return flights. Surely immigration are going to question why I came in on a tourist visa and then a couple of days later put in and application for a 457. Did you get your visa before you arrived ?

Shellie
Old May 30th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Shellie

Yes I did, from the UK.
However, I believe you can be in Australia to apply. Email George Lombard to clarify.

This is from http://www.dimia.gov.au/allforms/vis...iness_long.htm

"If you apply on, or after, 1 January 2004 for a visa where you are seeking to work for a company operating in Australia, or under a Labour Agreement, or under a Regional Headquarters agreement, or under an Invest Australia Supported Skills agreement:

you do not need to be in Australia to submit your application;
you must submit the application via the Internet or in written (hard-copy) form to a departmental office in Australia;

you cannot submit your application at an Australian overseas mission;

long-stay business visitors unable to use the Internet application service will need to submit a written (hard-copy) application.

Forms are available from this website (see below).
if an application is sent in hard-copy, you must send the application to the Business Centre in Australia which processed (or is processing) the sponsorship and nomination applications from your employer. "

One thing I will point out. If you are going to be in Australia on a tourist visa, waiting for a temp visa that may take up to 2 months to get, then that is what you will be whilst waiting. A tourist. Great if you want a long holiday and have vast savings to blow, but if you are like the majority, you won't want to be spending your savings needlessly on living costs.
Must be better to stay employed in the UK whilst waiting for Visa, then leave the UK job once the visa is issued?

Just my opinion

regards
Nick
Old May 30th 2004, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Hi Nick

Thanks for that, for some reason my employer is saying that it can only be issued on shore, noticed the clip you sent mentioned 1st Jan so maybe the rules changed then.

No way, as much as I would like to, can I spend 2 months doing nothing. My husband is also getting work on the strength of my visa so we need it sorting as soon as possible.

Have a buyer for our house and just want to get out to Brisbane ASAP but want to make sure we do it properly.

Shellie
Old May 30th 2004, 12:16 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Whilst i agree with everything that has been said here i similarly waited until arriving before applying for my 457 visa and it took just one week to approve onshore including nomination approval. Whilst i can understand you being nervy you really shouldn't have any problems as a nurse. The country is crying out for them!

Just make sure you have al relevant documents with you. You can check out what is needed by reading a copy of the relevant application forms.

There is no reason why the company who wish to employ you cannot be getting on with the nomination side of things though.....

Jonathan
Old May 30th 2004, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jonathan

Thats good, do like to stress about things. A week would be no problem but I suppose there is no guarantee it would be that quick.

What did you say to imigration on arrival ? bit difficult to say holiday when you have half your worldly goods with you !

Also want to avoid buying a return ticket any ideas how we can do this?

Would be so much easier if I could just get the visa before ...

Shellie
Old May 30th 2004, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Lostinreading is an unknown quantity at this point

Shellie,

i have just gone through the same process, very straight forward.
i have a 4 yr 457 visa applied for from the UK, took less than 2 months to get it and will now apply for PR once we arrive in Australia.
If you need any help give me a shout.
Old May 30th 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

we are due to arrive in bayside on a 457 in the next few weeks. does anyone know how long we have to wait before we can get our employers to sponsor us for our pr.

Stef
Old May 31st 2004, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Lostinreading
Shellie,

i have just gone through the same process, very straight forward.
i have a 4 yr 457 visa applied for from the UK, took less than 2 months to get it and will now apply for PR once we arrive in Australia.
If you need any help give me a shout.

Hi

Thanks for that, don't suppose its as a nurse is it????? now need to find someone who will do it before we leave.

Shellie
Old May 31st 2004, 2:11 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for that, don't suppose its as a nurse is it????? now need to find someone who will do it before we leave.

Shellie
we did it all through this lot.
http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/
Old May 31st 2004, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Yes I looked at their web site so will give them a call I pressume you had the visa sorted before you arrived in OZ.

Shellie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 7:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes I looked at their web site so will give them a call I pressume you had the visa sorted before you arrived in OZ.

Shellie
yes , it was sorted through them, it doesnt take long
Old Jun 1st 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Thats good, would you recommend them??

Have they sponsored you for PR ?

Sorry so many questions, this has to be the most stressful thing we have ever undertaken but will hopefully be worthwhile

Shellie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.