Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 - job not what I was told I'd get!

457 - job not what I was told I'd get!

Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:09 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 457 - job not what I was told I'd get!

I've not long been here, and started my nursing job to find it was not what I wanted/was told I'd get. I won't go into the details, but lets just say that it has all the problems I wanted to get away from in my last job in the UK.

I'm applying for PR now, and will send the application off in a week or so when I have all the stuff together.

What options do I have in the meantime while I'm waiting - if any??

Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Default Re: 457 - job not what I was told I'd get!

Hi cas sorry the jobs not what you thought it would be, hope Australia is though
doesnt seem like yesterday that I was wondering if that visa would get there in time !!
Have you tried talkingto them, and asking for what you were promised idealistic I know but worth a try
If that doesnt work just get that PR as soon as you can and in the meantime start looking

keep your chin up love Mary

Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I've not long been here, and started my nursing job to find it was not what I wanted/was told I'd get. I won't go into the details, but lets just say that it has all the problems I wanted to get away from in my last job in the UK.

I'm applying for PR now, and will send the application off in a week or so when I have all the stuff together.

Cas
Hi Cas,
Sorry to hear about the job situation, alas I can't help on that one but I do hope you get some advice on what to do.
Kristine.xx
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

melbournebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cas, I can identify with what you are experiencing, I landed in Australia April 04 to a culture shock within the nursing profession and feeling trapped because of my 457 visa, my advice is to get your PR asap which will free you up to explore other options, try discussing your concerns with your manager this is what I did and believe it or not it helped I am still with my original employer and have had two promotions since starting and my PR.It's difficult to adjust but remember that living in Australia far outways the hiccups we have in the work place,your skills are in high demand so when that PR comes your way Auatralia is your oyster.

Melbourneboundsbetterhalf
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Cheers Mary and Kristine and melbourneboundsbetterhalf!

I do love Australia/Melbourne, very much - but it is such a downer to be in a job that you know you don't want.

As it has exactly the problems which were inherent in my last job, I know that it is not what I want - I was in that job for 3 years, but stuck it out because I was very close the the nursing team, and liked the client group - people with dementia - but this job has additional problems as well.
I will speak to the manager.

Am I able to start looking/applying for other jobs - or do I have to wait for my PR to come through? I have seen a job with another organisation that I fancy - it is not a nursing job - it involves assessment for community care for peope with disabilities, the elderly and those with serious long-term illness.
Maybe I should phone them up and see what they say?

Cas

Last edited by carolinegorka; Feb 13th 2005 at 12:45 am.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Hi Cas, Sorry to hear about the situation you are in at the moment, keep smiling girl it will turn out ok best wishes ireland
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Cas,
Unless your new employer will take on your 457 visa you cannot change jobs,if you leave your present job you have 28 days to get a new sponsor or leave the country I have been in exactly the same boat try to stick it out make sure to apply for an independent PR not employer sponsored if it's the latter you will be tired to your sponsor for 2 years.

Melbournebound
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:57 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
Cas,
As long as you are on a 457 the only job you can do is as described in the visa approval.
Therefore, if what your employer has you doing "fits" the visa then you have no argument.
If it does not "fit" then the terms of the visa are breeched but do you want to risk the consequences ? Not sure of the implications in that case so probably not something to disturb.
You could find another employer willing to take over the 457 sponsorship but that is another application process.
My advice would be to bite the bullet and await your PR.
Is your PR application a sponsored type ?
If so there are other issues.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Cas,
As long as you are on a 457 the only job you can do is as described in the visa approval.
Therefore, if what your employer has you doing "fits" the visa then you have no argument.
If it does not "fit" then the terms of the visa are breeched but do you want to risk the consequences ? Not sure of the implications in that case so probably not something to disturb.
You could find another employer willing to take over the 457 sponsorship but that is another application process.
My advice would be to bite the bullet and await your PR.
Is your PR application a sponsored type ?
If so there are other issues.

My application for PR is independant - I'm at the point that I have my nursing assessment by the ANMC completed, but am just waiting for a couple of things to come through the post before sending off my application - hopefully it won't be too long before I get my PR - I've heard various times recently for nurses to get their PR in the same situation as myself - not sure what to believe, so I'll hold out and hope!

Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Cas,
Just to let you know our timeline for the pr visa. We applied on the 25th October, had our meds and further info requested on the 10th December, had meds on 17th December and received notification within the 1st week of January that we would have our pre-grant letter, we are now due to leave oz on the 18th Feb to go to New Zealand for our pr visa to be issued (11 weeks from start to finish) by the way we didn't frontload. Some little bits of advice for you- 1. get your police checks done now as they can take upto 40 days. 2. if you need to get documents certified look in the phone book for a justice of the piece (we found a good local one) they will certify copies of your documents for no charge. 3. if you are out on a 457 visa advise them of this when they request your medical as in Melbournebounds betterhalfs case she didn't need to have a medical as her 457 medical was still valied and it was the same as the 457 visa medical.
Good luck with everything, If we can assist in any way drop us a pm

Melbournebound

My application for PR is independant - I'm at the point that I have my nursing assessment by the ANMC completed, but am just waiting for a couple of things to come through the post before sending off my application - hopefully it won't be too long before I get my PR - I've heard various times recently for nurses to get their PR in the same situation as myself - not sure what to believe, so I'll hold out and hope!

Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by melbournebound
Cas,
Just to let you know our timeline for the pr visa. We applied on the 25th October, had our meds and further info requested on the 10th December, had meds on 17th December and received notification within the 1st week of January that we would have our pre-grant letter, we are now due to leave oz on the 18th Feb to go to New Zealand for our pr visa to be issued (11 weeks from start to finish) by the way we didn't frontload. Some little bits of advice for you- 1. get your police checks done now as they can take upto 40 days. 2. if you need to get documents certified look in the phone book for a justice of the piece (we found a good local one) they will certify copies of your documents for no charge. 3. if you are out on a 457 visa advise them of this when they request your medical as in Melbournebounds betterhalfs case she didn't need to have a medical as her 457 medical was still valied and it was the same as the 457 visa medical.
Good luck with everything, If we can assist in any way drop us a pm

Melbournebound
Thanks for that - gives me hope as I've been told by DIMIA (the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre) that I don't need to have meds or police check done, as they are valid - the woman I spoke to pulled medicals up on the computer, and I have my PC here with me. All my documents have been certified and are ready to go - all I need is my photos done, and those of my husband (he is still in the uk for a couple of weeks or so, and has posted his to me)
So, all in all, it hopefully won't take too long and I'll be booking my flight to NZ.

Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Thanks for that - gives me hope as I've been told by DIMIA (the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre) that I don't need to have meds or police check done, as they are valid - the woman I spoke to pulled medicals up on the computer, and I have my PC here with me. All my documents have been certified and are ready to go - all I need is my photos done, and those of my husband (he is still in the uk for a couple of weeks or so, and has posted his to me)
So, all in all, it hopefully won't take too long and I'll be booking my flight to NZ.

Cas
Anybody know of possible timescale in this situation?
Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Cas
That really sucks. I guess you just have to "wear it" until you get your PR then you can do something about. My suggestion is that you report them to the relevant authorities. Perhaps you can go to your union?

Don't let them get away with it.

Good luck
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GCS15
That really sucks. I guess you just have to "wear it" until you get your PR then you can do something about. My suggestion is that you report them to the relevant authorities. Perhaps you can go to your union?

Don't let them get away with it.

Good luck
Thanks not only was it not what I wanted, but in fact, what I said I did NOT want!

I suppose it was a risk all along, but still...........

Hopefully my PR won't take long as everything is done (assessment, docs certified, meds, PC, Auntie Norahs washing etc, etc) apart from sending it off - if Melbournehelpsbetterhalfs took 11 weeks, then who knows, maybe I won't have to wait long!

Cas
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
Hi Cas, if you remember i went through exactly the same with Oxley Health, it was lies from begining to end. What the recruitment consultant hadn't bargained for was that I had return tickets for me and my family so i could tell her to stick it! I got in contact with the MD of the company and after lengthy discussions he admitted it was a misrepresentation by the company but refused to pay out our losses. We were gutted. I was told my only option was to find another sponsor within 28 days or I'd have to elave the country. It sounds easy, but its not! I've found most recruitment/nursing agencies the same. The local health authorities may be able to help you, but it all depends on what vacancies are available in the area. Sorry you're going through it too, maybe this'll act as a warning to others wanting to take the 457 route!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.