Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Defacto Medicare

457 Defacto Medicare

Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of
Default 457 Defacto Medicare

Hi

Sorry if this is a simple question but I have searched on google and on this fourm with no luck.

Basically I am a British national with a 457 visa and my Chilean girlfriend is going defacto on my visa................Can she apply for Medicare?

Any info appreciated
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Defacto Medicare

Originally Posted by timmerman
Hi

Sorry if this is a simple question but I have searched on google and on this fourm with no luck.

Basically I am a British national with a 457 visa and my Chilean girlfriend is going defacto on my visa................Can she apply for Medicare?

Any info appreciated
Hi timmerman,

I think to be able to apply for medicare Chile would need to be part of the reciprocal agreement which they don't seem to be (http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...rhca-countries)

For the most reliable answer though you might want to contact them.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

Yeah I was hoping that if she was on my 457 that would change.

I went in to the Medicare office and asked and even they didn't know
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timmerman
Yeah I was hoping that if she was on my 457 that would change.

I went in to the Medicare office and asked and even they didn't know
Hopefully someone else on here will have some knowledge - you just might have to wait a while
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid not. 457 holders who are not from a country that has a reciprocal agreement have to pay - even if it is the primary applicant.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility for Medicare under the reciprocal arrangement depends on where your girlfriend is resident - it's not dependent on nationality.

So, if she's been living in the UK (or another eligible country) before arriving in Australia, then she should qualify. If she's coming direct from Chile, then she won't.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...s-to-australia