Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On a 457. Can we still claim UK family allowance ?

On a 457. Can we still claim UK family allowance ?

Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On a 457. Can we still claim UK family allowance ?

Originally Posted by elmtree
Fair enough.

The reason for my outburst was annoyance at the implied inference that I was a 'bludger'. I never said I wanted to claim anything to which I was not entitled. I was simply asking if we were entitled. That's all.

I shouldn't have said what I said. I apologise.
No worries, apology accepted, lets crack on with some good natured verbal sparring!!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Im going to start a new one just for you...so that will be 2,999,998 quid coming your way...and I shall call it:

I left the UK 13 years ago, have two US born children and am Naturalized here, I want a council house in Moss side as a summer rental...oh, and can i get backdated family allowance too?

Kinda catchy i think..
And don't forget to be outraged that your kids would be treated as international students even though they were born outside the UK and you haven't paid UK taxes for 20 years or so.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Makes a refreshing change.

There are a lot of people around that seem to think other tax payers should fund their lifestyle even when they are in work.
I thought she was referring to child benefit which I understand is not means tested and is given to every child. (maybe I am wrong as I don't have children)

Because she is coming on a 457 it may be, to some, a legitimate question as they don't see themselves as emigrating permanently, only leaving the UK for a short time.

She got her answer but still people chose to start passing judgement - it was only a question.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I thought she was referring to child benefit which I understand is not means tested and is given to every child. (maybe I am wrong as I don't have children)

Because she is coming on a 457 it may be, to some, a legitimate question as they don't see themselves as emigrating permanently, only leaving the UK for a short time.

She got her answer but still people chose to start passing judgement - it was only a question.
Well the vast majority of 457 applicants I see on here usually consider the 457 as a stepping stone to a permanent move. In any case I just feel very sad that the benefits culture is now so ingrained in the UK that somebody who is *working* 12,000 miles away and making no contribution to an almost bankrupt UK, can only wonder about what they might be "entitled" to.

Why some people are not willing to accept full responsibility for their own offspring is something I am never going to understand. And you can call me judgemental all you like. I would rather be judgemental of scroungers than be a scrounger quite frankly.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Well the vast majority of 457 applicants I see on here usually consider the 457 as a stepping stone to a permanent move. In any case I just feel very sad that the benefits culture is now so ingrained in the UK that somebody who is *working* 12,000 miles away and making no contribution to an almost bankrupt UK, can only wonder about what they might be "entitled" to.

Why some people are not willing to accept full responsibility for their own offspring is something I am never going to understand. And you can call me judgemental all you like. I would rather be judgemental of scroungers than be a scrounger quite frankly.
But child benefit has nothing to do with claiming benefits,whatever your beliefs are
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

But child benefit has nothing to do with claiming benefits,whatever your beliefs are
When I came over here on my initial 457 Visa, I actually queried the status of all benefits, child, war pension, Armed Forces pension etc with the relevant departments before I came out so that I knew where I stood legally. I did not expect any benefits but was hoping my hard earned pensions would still be payable...which they are.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very true. Child Benefit isn't means tested in the UK, and it was a fair enough question - far better to ask than assume as here, asking before the move makes things much clearer.

Originally Posted by paddyo
When I came over here on my initial 457 Visa, I actually queried the status of all benefits, child, war pension, Armed Forces pension etc with the relevant departments before I came out so that I knew where I stood legally. I did not expect any benefits but was hoping my hard earned pensions would still be payable...which they are.
And as the following post clarified:
Originally Posted by elmtree
I never said I wanted to claim anything to which I was not entitled. I was simply asking if we were entitled. That's all.

So lets all take a deep breath. No-one in the thread has suggested claiming anything to which they are not entitled.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously you think child BENEFIT has nothing to do with BENEFITS. Who do you think funds it? The good UK tax payer or the fairy godmother. Do tell.

Honestly you people who think "the government" fund these payouts need to wake up and smell the coffee. You don't have two brain cells to rub together as far as I can tell.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Seriously you think child BENEFIT has nothing to do with BENEFITS. Who do you think funds it? The good UK tax payer or the fairy godmother. Do tell.

Honestly you people who think "the government" fund these payouts need to wake up and smell the coffee. You don't have two brain cells to rub together as far as I can tell.
Not the type of benefit you were referring to - Child benefit is a right that is payable for every child to every parent in the UK regardless of income. Of course I realise that this is paid for by tax payers money and to think otherwise would be ridiculous.

You really need to attend some sort of charm school - you may learn some manners.

Last edited by Hebe; Aug 1st 2010 at 10:25 am.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:09 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Governments are happy to invest in children (effectively using the parents own taxes) for a few short years in order to reap the rewards for many years to come (once those children hit working age).

If you think the taxes you're paying today are being invested for your own future, you can forget it. Just think when you get your FREE bus pass etc..., it'll be those kids who'll be paying for it.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not the type of benefit you were referring to - Child benefit is a right that is payable for every child to every parent in the UK regardless of income. Of course I realise that this is paid for by tax payers money and to think otherwise would be ridiculous.

You really need to attend some sort of charm school - you may learn some manners.
But they are not in the UK. They are in Australia. No doubt expecting Australian tax payers to subsidise them too under LAFHA. And you have no idea how well mannered I am, but I can assure you I am well mannered enough not to expect other tax payers to subsidise my lifestyle.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:50 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

But they are not in the UK. They are in Australia. No doubt expecting Australian tax payers to subsidise them too under LAFHA. And you have no idea how well mannered I am, but I can assure you I am well mannered enough not to expect other tax payers to subsidise my lifestyle.
I have to agree there. You should not expect a country to which you are not contributing, to contribute to you and yours.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I have to agree there. You should not expect a country to which you are not contributing, to contribute to you and yours.
And nor was the OP. They just asked a question based on the fact that they were not coming over on a PR visa and in any event who is to say that won't continue to pay uk taxes. None of us know of their financial situation
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked a perfectly legitimate question of the type that this website exists to answer - is it OK to claim UK child benefit (which is NOT means tested) while in Aus on a 457.

At no point was there a suggestion that he planned to claim if it wasn't legal. As to whether it was reasonable to expect to be able to claim - its possible to keep claiming UK benefits quite legally after moving to some countries (mainly in Europe) so there really is nothing wrong with asking the question.

Now can we all please calm down (as I asked previously) or I'm shutting the thread.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:17 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Not everyone earns a good wage here in Australia, alot of people have left good jobs and very comfortable lives to come here in the hope of a better life for themselves and their children only to find themselves struggling financially and the centrelink money is what gets them through. That money could be what's keeping a family fed! Maybe one day one of these kids who lived off benefits will be treating any of us in hospital or caring for us in the nursing home, let's hope they're not judgemental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.