Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Approved.....panic stations

457 Approved.....panic stations

Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Steven and Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Approved.....panic stations

Well, After 6 months of wailing and gnashing of whatever teeth we have left our 457 visa has finally been approved.

Only problem is we now have 4 weeks to empty our house and load our container! Amazing how much junk you can accumulate over the years.

Should be arriving in Sydney in the middle of Feb with 2 months paid accomodation near my workplace in Homebush Bay. After that we are going to look the Hills district as this looks to be the closest place we can afford a nice house for our two kids.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Steven and Jackie
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Approved.....panic stations

Originally Posted by Steven and Jackie
Well, After 6 months of wailing and gnashing of whatever teeth we have left our 457 visa has finally been approved.

Only problem is we now have 4 weeks to empty our house and load our container! Amazing how much junk you can accumulate over the years.

Should be arriving in Sydney in the middle of Feb with 2 months paid accomodation near my workplace in Homebush Bay. After that we are going to look the Hills district as this looks to be the closest place we can afford a nice house for our two kids.
If you are bringing children to NSW, and are on a 457 visa, is your employer going to pay the school fees for your children?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are bringing children to NSW, and are on a 457 visa, is your employer going to pay the school fees for your children?
No we will have to pay our schools fees ourselves. I have researched this and beleive it will cost us $4500 per year. Our youngest isnt school age yet so its not too bad. Also my employer is sponsoring for PR and I beleive you get your school fees back once PR is awarded.

I do intend to send my son to a catholic school but still cant find out what the 457/fees situation is . I assume you still have to pay the $4500 but is the catholic school fee in addition to this. I tried mailing the catholic education department but didnt get a reply.

Steven
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Steven and Jackie
Don't panic..afterall it's want you want.
Hope your dreams come true...you got your visa quick, 6 months isn't long to wait.
Enjoy your new lives
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:09 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking why did it take so long to get your visa?
I applied at the end of December and i am hoping to be going to Brisbane in mid February, had out X-Rays done yesterday.

I was under the impression that the 457 was a 4-6 week process!
You have got me a bit worried now, not sure my employer wants to wait
too long.

Thanks Gary
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:37 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

No we will have to pay our schools fees ourselves. I have researched this and beleive it will cost us $4500 per year. Our youngest isnt school age yet so its not too bad. Also my employer is sponsoring for PR and I beleive you get your school fees back once PR is awarded.

I do intend to send my son to a catholic school but still cant find out what the 457/fees situation is . I assume you still have to pay the $4500 but is the catholic school fee in addition to this. I tried mailing the catholic education department but didnt get a reply.

Steven
What you actually get back when you receive your PR is pro-rata'd school fees - you pay $4500 for the year and get back whatever is remaining for that year. We were lucky and got our PR within 4 months of being here and so got back 8 months worth of fees, but friends of ours are 9 months on and still waiting. Sorry cant help with the Catholic School fees.

We're in Richmond which is about an hour outside Sydney - if theres anything I can help you out with just shout!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking why did it take so long to get your visa?
I applied at the end of December and i am hoping to be going to Brisbane in mid February, had out X-Rays done yesterday.

I was under the impression that the 457 was a 4-6 week process!
You have got me a bit worried now, not sure my employer wants to wait
too long.

Thanks Gary
Gary

I too was quoted 6-8 weeks but there were several complications in my case. First the sponsoring companies nomination slot ran out while my visa was being processed so they had to reapply. We them had to wait 5 weks till there slot was approved and then restart the whole process. We had all the x rays and kids meds done and were all set but just before Christmas immigration informed me that since I was on medication for hypertension I would need a full medical. This was only processed and approved this week.

If your case is simple and straightforward it shouldnt take a fraction of the time mine did but I still think 6-8 weeks is a wee bit on the optimistic side. If your sponsoring company has experience in dealing with 457 applications then you shouldnt have any problems.

let me know if theres anything else I can help with.

steven
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:09 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Cheers Steven,

Luckily we have no such complications (not yet anyway) so i am a little less
worried, i guess we have just got to see how it goes. My new employer is very keen for me to get out there as soon as possible and i do not want to risk losing my job!

I will keep you in mind if i have any questions,

Cheers and best of luck for you and family in Sydney!

Gary