457 = $3000 ?

Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

horse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 = $3000 ?

Hello,

I've been working here in Australia under a Working Holiday Visa. Because of the 3-month restriction, my company needs to get me a 457 for me to continue. They say they are very happy to sponsor me in this way because they are pleased with my work.

The company says that I need to pay them well over three thousand dollars in order to get the 457. The argument is that if they went through a separate sponsorship agency I would end up paying thousands of dollars anyway in management fees. Since they are sponsoring me directly, they feel those fees should go to them.

Does the forum have any opinions on this? If there is anyone out there currently on a 457, I would be interested in hearing if/what you personally had to pay.

H.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:52 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: 457 = $3000 ?

Originally Posted by horse
Hello,

I've been working here in Australia under a Working Holiday Visa. Because of the 3-month restriction, my company needs to get me a 457 for me to continue. They say they are very happy to sponsor me in this way because they are pleased with my work.

The company says that I need to pay them well over three thousand dollars in order to get the 457. The argument is that if they went through a separate sponsorship agency I would end up paying thousands of dollars anyway in management fees. Since they are sponsoring me directly, they feel those fees should go to them.

Does the forum have any opinions on this? If there is anyone out there currently on a 457, I would be interested in hearing if/what you personally had to pay.

H.
sounds like a rip off to me.... what's your linr of work. i didn't pay anything for my 457( or subsequent PR) and it cost no where near 3000 dollars
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
sounds like a rip off to me.... what's your linr of work. i didn't pay anything for my 457( or subsequent PR) and it cost no where near 3000 dollars
Total rip off. Shisters.
Didn't pay a penny for the visa or getting here.

Shouldn't need an agent for a 457 anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Bounty Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

H.
My 457 visa is currently in progress - I've not had to pay a penny either but I believe my new employer is footing the bill. Not sure how much it is but I have not been asked to confribute.
If I were you I would not part with a penny!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hello,

H.
Hello

Firstly, sounds like a rip off. Why should you pay them if they want you to stay????

You don't say what you are doing or whether this is part of your usual occupation back in the UK. IF so you may find that you are in breach of the conditions of your original visa. You can do this (work in your profession) but it may require registration or licensing.

It seems is possible to change to a the status of your working holiday visa if you qualify, but just remember that you cannot work for any other employer under a 457, and given they expect you to pay, sounds a bit iffy.

Also under the working holiday visa you cannot work for the same employer for more than 3 months, what if the application for the 457 takes longer? What is your status? You can't work for them, then what?

Perhaps you should speak with an agent and find out if you can qualify yourself, see if there is a better option for your long term.

Good luck, whatever your choice
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:48 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

H.
Sounds like profiteering.

Tell them you need to speak with DIMIA and ATO
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:28 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Sounds like profiteering.

Tell them you need to speak with DIMIA and ATO
offer to pay actual receipted costs yourself will be $1000 or so form memory but dimias website will give you the exact cost
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

horse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments. I will certainly take your advice.

I had one more question, for anybody who got a 457. Did you get a copy of your employment contract before the 457 application was made? And did you sign it? Or were you only shown it afterwards?

H.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:40 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I had one more question, for anybody who got a 457. Did you get a copy of your employment contract before the 457 application was made? And did you sign it? Or were you only shown it afterwards?

H.
We're about to go out on 457 in the next couple of months. Our Visa was agreed prior to hubby signing employment contract. They actually wouldn't give him an official offer of employment until the Visa had been accepted because that would put them in an extremely awkward position.

HTH
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We're about to go out on 457 in the next couple of months. Our Visa was agreed prior to hubby signing employment contract. They actually wouldn't give him an official offer of employment until the Visa had been accepted because that would put them in an extremely awkward position.

HTH
That's a new one on me TYG.
For my 457 DIMIA insisted on having a signed contract offer.
It was a full contract with the last paragraph making it all subject to visa grant.

They also asked for a signed contract when I went for RSMS but in that case there was no need for the last para as I already held the valid 457.

So H, DIMIA may ask you for one and if so get the sponsor to add a para making it subject to visa grant. That will satisfy all parties.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:42 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

H.
On a 457 myself too. Had the contract/offer agreed and signed well in advance. Employer paid the bill but I do believe that he paid the agency around $3,000 but there were plenty of issues with my application. Fee would depend upon the amount of work the agent is expecting to put in to get you there. Don't forget the employer also has to make a submission and maybe they are factoring in that charge to you also.
I would have thought the employer would pay the charge - especially as it is upfront and if not granted, you lose the cash. Maybe suggest the employer pays and deducts from the salary on 12 monthly instalments (if they want you, they will be flexible).

Andrew

Andrew
Old Aug 29th 2005, 1:23 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That's a new one on me TYG.
For my 457 DIMIA insisted on having a signed contract offer.
It was a full contract with the last paragraph making it all subject to visa grant.

They also asked for a signed contract when I went for RSMS but in that case there was no need for the last para as I already held the valid 457.

So H, DIMIA may ask you for one and if so get the sponsor to add a para making it subject to visa grant. That will satisfy all parties.
It was very frustrating Bix I must admit - we kept asking for it but weren't given anything until the 457 was accepted. Literally the same week it was accepted we received the contract - it still doesn't have to be signed until we actually arrive though! This has been the same for all of the people that Qantas sponsor as far as I know - or at least for the same trade and job! Oh well we've got it in the end!!