45 and worried

Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

ChrisandHelenWilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 45 and worried

I'm 45 and have had my visa for 12mths now. We've been trying to sell our house and have just had an offer that we could accept. So basically, its now become real. How are things in Oz for an electrician or electrical estimator (for the last 10yrs). Our visa lets us live anywhere. but I would prefer Queensland. We have 2 children (17yr Girl & 14yr Boy) who are very adaptable so there not bothered where. I've written to alot of companies who have never got back to me, although I always think its because they must see that I'm still in the UK.
Has anyone else in a similar position (and age) done this.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 45 and worried

Originally Posted by ChrisandHelenWilson
I'm 45 and have had my visa for 12mths now. We've been trying to sell our house and have just had an offer that we could accept. So basically, its now become real. How are things in Oz for an electrician or electrical estimator (for the last 10yrs). Our visa lets us live anywhere. but I would prefer Queensland. We have 2 children (17yr Girl & 14yr Boy) who are very adaptable so there not bothered where. I've written to alot of companies who have never got back to me, although I always think its because they must see that I'm still in the UK.
Has anyone else in a similar position (and age) done this.
yes i was 45 when i came over in oct 06 and had been running the office side of electrical contracting for many years too,

many companies are terrible at returning calls emails etc even if your here, i`m sure being on the other side of the world just makes it less likely to get an answer

work
work is a lot harder to find than is was six years ago the construction industry has contracted substantially but having said that i have noticed over the last six months projects stating to get off the ground and there's defiantly more houses being built than of late which is a good sign,

one of the things that will have to sort in your intention is being on the tools is a license, applications and requirements differ from state to state there's a lot of information about this on the sparkies page
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

if you need any specific answers just ask

regards steve
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 45 and worried

Will your daughter have finished her A levels? She would be wise to do that before moving. As for age - well, you're not 50 yet, so that's a plus. Is there any chance you could take a career break, rent out the house and go and see how the work situation is once you are there, get your licences etc.