Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

417 to 457 visa Medicare

417 to 457 visa Medicare

Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 417 to 457 visa Medicare

We arrived in Oz in February on a 417 working holiday visa and took out a Medicare card that expires in February 2013.

I've just started a job that is sponsoring my 457 visa and for this I need adequate medical care cover.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Is it a simple case of renewing the Medicare card?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 417 to 457 visa Medicare

Originally Posted by Paul2412
We arrived in Oz in February on a 417 working holiday visa and took out a Medicare card that expires in February 2013.

I've just started a job that is sponsoring my 457 visa and for this I need adequate medical care cover.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Is it a simple case of renewing the Medicare card?
medicare card is enough to satisfy 457 visa
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you just go to the Medicare office and renew?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2412
Can you just go to the Medicare office and renew?
Yes.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

One of the conditions of our 457 is private health cover, so read carefully and ask around at your employment to see what others have done.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
One of the conditions of our 457 is private health cover, so read carefully and ask around at your employment to see what others have done.
You only need private health cover until you arrive in Aus and register with Medicare (assuming you are eligible for the reciprocal scheme). If already in Aus and covered by it then you shouldn't need to take any private cover out.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep!!
Remember that on a 457 you are not on full Medicare, you are on a Reciprocal Health Care cover (I'm assuming OP is from UK?). It should still suffice but worth checking out.