Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40ft container quotes

40ft container quotes

Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default 40ft container quotes

Can anyone help, we are thinking of having a 40ft rather than 20ft container, we are over a 20ft containers by about 180cuft.. and this will cost us about another £1000 to ship... just wondering if anyone has had 40ft quotes and how much more it is..

Many thanks

Julie
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:20 pm
Sanctuary Lakes

Hector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really nice
Default Re: 40ft container quotes

Hi Julie,

We are moving from Preston to Melbourne in 3 weeks time in a 40ft container and it is £5700 plus 2% insurance, with Allied Pickfords.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:22 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hector
Hi Julie,

We are moving from Preston to Melbourne in 3 weeks time in a 40ft container and it is £5700 plus 2% insurance, with Allied Pickfords.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Shouldn't you fly
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hector
Hi Julie,

Hope this helps.

Dave
Thank-you, .. we are looking at about £4500 at the moment to include 20ft and excess... so maybe we'll stick to the 20ft... more decisions!!

Julie
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Thank-you, .. we are looking at about £4500 at the moment to include 20ft and excess... so maybe we'll stick to the 20ft... more decisions!!

Julie

bounce...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help, we are thinking of having a 40ft rather than 20ft container, we are over a 20ft containers by about 180cuft.. and this will cost us about another £1000 to ship... just wondering if anyone has had 40ft quotes and how much more it is..

Many thanks

Julie
We've had a quote for £6900 for a 40 ft but we are taking 4 motorbikes with us in the container and they will each have to be crated separately so that will be more than most people would pay!

How's your sale going Julie? Our purchaser is messing us about - knew it was too good to be true
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a very accurate answer but as you aren't getting many responses -

Very very roughly I think you can aim at £4K for a 20' and £6K for a 40'.

So think whether it will cost less than £2k ($5K) to replace those things you can't squeeze in a 20'.

That is the logic we are planning to use.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies... might stick with the 20ft then!! and hope for the best!!

House sale is going ok... all 3 surveys have been done, our buyers are coming Sunday to look at our fixtures and fittings which we are trying to sell..
Our solicitors seem to think we might exchange next week.. :scared: ... but just going to keep my fingers and toes crossed until then!!

Good luck with your sale, I hope they don't mess you around too much!!

Julie
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:43 am
CJN
Forum Regular

CJN is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 40ft container quotes

I think you must all be mad & speaking to the wrong people. I used to work as an accountant at a freight forwarders & these figures of £4k - £6k for a container seem horrendous.

Export containers were as cheap as chips as a lot more goods are imported into this country than are exported. I seem to remember that the sea rates to us were about £800 a 40' to buy plus all of the other charges such as packing & duties. A 40' haul from say Leeds to a southern port would be about £400. I could believe if any of you were saying maybe £2k but much more is a joke.

I'm waiting for a cost from the guys I used to work with & if they are as cheap as I think they should be then I'll post up the details.

Craig

Brissie wanabee
Visa application received in Aus 23 May 2005

Thanks for the replies... might stick with the 20ft then!! and hope for the best!!

House sale is going ok... all 3 surveys have been done, our buyers are coming Sunday to look at our fixtures and fittings which we are trying to sell..
Our solicitors seem to think we might exchange next week.. :scared: ... but just going to keep my fingers and toes crossed until then!!

Good luck with your sale, I hope they don't mess you around too much!!

Julie
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:03 pm
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough

HI Craig,

Would be greatful if you would post sumit up mate..as I think also there some removal co's are taking our eyes out

Would be great if we could offer folk some good advise in respect of self moves.
Would you be able to mention anything about Customs etc. If one is doing a self move ?

Cheers
Mac

Originally Posted by CJN
I think you must all be mad & speaking to the wrong people. I used to work as an accountant at a freight forwarders & these figures of £4k - £6k for a container seem horrendous.

Export containers were as cheap as chips as a lot more goods are imported into this country than are exported. I seem to remember that the sea rates to us were about £800 a 40' to buy plus all of the other charges such as packing & duties. A 40' haul from say Leeds to a southern port would be about £400. I could believe if any of you were saying maybe £2k but much more is a joke.

I'm waiting for a cost from the guys I used to work with & if they are as cheap as I think they should be then I'll post up the details.

Craig

Brissie wanabee
Visa application received in Aus 23 May 2005
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:06 pm
FAMILY MEMBER

paula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura about

We have had three quotes for a 40ft container (around 1500sq ft), from PSS, Britannia and Dorrie Bonner. The prices are around £7000.This includes a car and many items have to be crated, so the price includes the making and supply of the crates.
Paula
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:20 pm
CJN
Forum Regular

Please don't get me wrong, I'm no expert on moving - accounting is my speciality but I do know people that can help. I've just had an e-mail back from the guy that I used to work with worded as follows-

20ft $ 1600.00 40ft $ 3100.00
Baf $ 205.00 $ 410.00

Thc £ 69.00
B/L £ 15.00
Entry £ 20.00
Haul £ 335.00 ( ex Leeds )

Due to changes in the FSA we,as forwarders, can no longer quote you an Insurance premium, I can however give you the details of our broker and you can contact him direct. Pse also bear in mind that if the container is NOT professionally packed he will only quote based on a total loss situ ( ie the whole of your effects are wrecked or go awol )

I've just asked him to clarify whether the costs above are in US$ or AUS$ but they are much lower than any of the other quotes I've seen on here. I asked him for a quote to Brisbane but I would have thought that other ports should not be much different.

I'll post his contact details up when he's confirmed the $currency.

I hope this has been some use.

Craig

Originally Posted by paula elliott
We have had three quotes for a 40ft container (around 1500sq ft), from PSS, Britannia and Dorrie Bonner. The prices are around £7000.This includes a car and many items have to be crated, so the price includes the making and supply of the crates.
Paula

Last edited by CJN; Jun 2nd 2005 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Incorrect prices quoted
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:44 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

There is a growing band of DIY'ers... We diy'ed and it cost us less than 2k in total uk pounds for a 20ftr ex southampton->brisbane. I didnt shop around because we got a discount from shipping company (so it cost us a lot less than 2k) but its doable for less than 2k.

Search for DIY Shipping or a thread by 68mevy there is tons of info in there including costs this end, who to use etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:05 pm
CJN
Forum Regular

The costs quoted above are in US$ & my contact is Eamonn Ashton.

He can be reached through www.redfernuk.com, at [email protected] & on 0113 344 4000.

Good luck all
Craig

Originally Posted by spalen
There is a growing band of DIY'ers... We diy'ed and it cost us less than 2k in total uk pounds for a 20ftr ex southampton->brisbane. I didnt shop around because we got a discount from shipping company (so it cost us a lot less than 2k) but its doable for less than 2k.

Search for DIY Shipping or a thread by 68mevy there is tons of info in there including costs this end, who to use etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Julie
Liked the guy who suggested DIY. Did not think of that at the time. I have a quote for Hereford to Vancouver for a 40' of £3650 fro caswells forwarding ltd in Gloucestershire. (01594 543399) BUT this was July 04. Freight costs have gone up since then.
DIY would be worth a look.

burmonk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.