Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we starting too early!

Are we starting too early!

Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice
Default Are we starting too early!

Just wondering when before starting the visa process did everyone start to look into all things to do with moving over to oz!

My partner and I know we wont be in a position to even start the visa application process for at least a year probably too. Do people think were just gazing off into the future a little too much and we should be concentrating on the here and now?

On a side point if you move over as an unmarried couple what do you need to do to prove your together? we did ask at the leeds expo yesterday but as with most things the staff there didnt really know anything
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:09 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are we starting too early!

Originally Posted by Simo429
Just wondering when before starting the visa process did everyone start to look into all things to do with moving over to oz!

My partner and I know we wont be in a position to even start the visa application process for at least a year probably too. Do people think were just gazing off into the future a little too much and we should be concentrating on the here and now?

On a side point if you move over as an unmarried couple what do you need to do to prove your together? we did ask at the leeds expo yesterday but as with most things the staff there didnt really know anything
to prove you are a couple you will need:

joint account statements
your declarations (how you net and all the rest of it, will give you the details nearer the time)
family and friends decs.
photos
joint rental reciepts
letters addressed to both and each of you.
joint assets and liabilities

anything you can get your hands on for as far back as you can.

or seeing as you have over a year to go, just get married.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky

or seeing as you have over a year to go, just get married.
you make it sound so easy. the family would request a big wedding and id rather save money for the trip out which is sort of why were thinking about things now.

the main problem is although we've been together for 5 years because of university we've never lived together. we were both hoping to remain living with parents until we moved out to maximise the money we save but that doesnt seem to be a option
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:20 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

you make it sound so easy. the family would request a big wedding and id rather save money for the trip out which is sort of why were thinking about things now.

the main problem is although we've been together for 5 years because of university we've never lived together. we were both hoping to remain living with parents until we moved out to maximise the money we save but that doesnt seem to be a option
Fair enough

If that is the case, you have never lived together and just out of uni (i'm assuming with no wroking experiance in the job you are looking for) then I would really advise that you talk to an agent.

George Lombard in the immigration forum will be able to help you.

good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

cheers
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

Hi, in answer to your question regarding looking into all things Oz etc....It seems like forever to be honest I personally don't think it matters how much thinking/planning/research you do - it is all Positive, and part and parcel of a proposed new life......we've used books/maps/internet and anything we could get our hands on. The Australia & Nz monthly magazine is brill, and something to look forward to each month!
As for the De facto relationship, my partner and i were in a similar position to yourselves... We had been together for 4 years but didn't share a home - once we knew we had enough points to apply we quickly realised it was either marriage or take the plunge and live together (so we took our time and did what was right for us - 3 yrs later and we are finally waiting for our visa )- we needed to prove we lived together for a min of 1 yr before we could apply So, it held up our application until we had what was needed.
To back up the other reply - keep anything you can think of to prove your relationship. Look on that time as a Bonus! you can save alsorts of pics/bills etc by the time you are thinking of starting the ball rolling.....Agree you need to chat to an agent
Good luck
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply do you have a link to where you can get that magazine
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the reply do you have a link to where you can get that magazine
You can pick it up from WHSmiths or good newsagents, but we liked it so much we subscribed
www.merricksmagazines.co.uk
Or phone01225 786884
In the shops its priced at £3.99, but often cheaper to subscribe

It's a really good mix of Info regardless of what type of visa you may be thinking of, holiday info, visa info and real life stories plus other articles.
Sorry i couldn't do 'a link'
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

I am in a defacto relationship and had to wait until we had lived together for 12 months before applying. We were told the other option was to both apply for separate visa's, which was costly and my OH would have needed to retrain.

We spent the 12 months lurking in the back ground of BE reading all we could. Then we applied for the visa in April 2007 and are still waiting.

I dont think you can apply for a visa together unless you are married or at least living together as defacto partners for 12 months, they will also ask for proof of this. Someone may come along who has had a different experience.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do

minibelle
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Originally Posted by swanny
Hi, in answer to your question regarding looking into all things Oz etc....It seems like forever to be honest I personally don't think it matters how much thinking/planning/research you do - it is all Positive, and part and parcel of a proposed new life......we've used books/maps/internet and anything we could get our hands on. The Australia & Nz monthly magazine is brill, and something to look forward to each month!
As for the De facto relationship, my partner and i were in a similar position to yourselves... We had been together for 4 years but didn't share a home - once we knew we had enough points to apply we quickly realised it was either marriage or take the plunge and live together (so we took our time and did what was right for us - 3 yrs later and we are finally waiting for our visa )- we needed to prove we lived together for a min of 1 yr before we could apply So, it held up our application until we had what was needed.
To back up the other reply - keep anything you can think of to prove your relationship. Look on that time as a Bonus! you can save alsorts of pics/bills etc by the time you are thinking of starting the ball rolling.....Agree you need to chat to an agent
Good luck
HI and sorry to butt in but just a quick one on the Australia and NZ Mag, we get it every month from WHSmith and its brilliant, gives lots of different information and brilliant places to see.

Sorry again and good luck to all Lou xx
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

thank you ive sent the missus to have a look for it in derby city center today because i dont think they'll have it in our local WH SMITHS