Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:30 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Seen lots of threads on here about people saying they couldnt get the 40kgs when they did their one way trip to Oz, especially those that have validated their tickets.

I rang up Singapore Airlines yesterday and asked about it, as it is a factor in who we will fly with in january, the very helpful girl said that we would all get 40kgs when travelling and sent an email to confirm it??

Also said that car seats and buggies are NOT included in our weight allowance, which is even better..... but the golf clubs would be included in our allowance, so that sorts that problem then, in the container they go!! :scared: Much to Husbands horror!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Seen lots of threads on here about people saying they couldnt get the 40kgs when they did their one way trip to Oz, especially those that have validated their tickets.

I rang up Singapore Airlines yesterday and asked about it, as it is a factor in who we will fly with in january, the very helpful girl said that we would all get 40kgs when travelling and sent an email to confirm it??

Also said that car seats and buggies are NOT included in our weight allowance, which is even better..... but the golf clubs would be included in our allowance, so that sorts that problem then, in the container they go!! :scared: Much to Husbands horror!!

You are quite lucky then, the e-mail we got said we could have the 40kg's on an unused visa, so make sure that she knows you have already used it to avoid any problems at the airport.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:38 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Originally Posted by Wendy
You are quite lucky then, the e-mail we got said we could have the 40kg's on an unused visa, so make sure that she knows you have already used it to avoid any problems at the airport.
How strange as I told her the details of our Rekkie trip and that we had just been over and she was that doesnt matter??

Maybe it is one of those depends who you speak to situations?? Thats whyI was so confused as I had no problems and kept reading threads saying they couldnt get the extra allowance??
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

How strange as I told her the details of our Rekkie trip and that we had just been over and she was that doesnt matter??

Maybe it is one of those depends who you speak to situations?? Thats whyI was so confused as I had no problems and kept reading threads saying they couldnt get the extra allowance??

Read your e-mail carefully and take it to the airport with you.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:46 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by Wendy
Read your e-mail carefully and take it to the airport with you.
Will do Wendy, thanks for your help
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

I've contacted Singapore Airlines and they will not allow an increase in baggage allowance as we are on a 457 . They have allowed us 25kg even though we are applying for our PR asap.

Lou
Old Oct 13th 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get

Wow - well done you.

I contacted Singapore, we're flying with on the 4th. I'm on an unvalidated spouse visa and they would only let me have 30kg. We packed a case yesterday and think that it already weighs that by itself!

Anyone think it's worth pestering them for more?

Cheers,

Gemma
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

joanne morrish is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get

I phoned Travel bag and they told me the only company doing double baggage allowance is Singapore airways. Everyone else has dropped it. You do only qualify for this if you have been granted a permanent residents visa.

Hope this helps

JO

Originally Posted by foxall22
Wow - well done you.

I contacted Singapore, we're flying with on the 4th. I'm on an unvalidated spouse visa and they would only let me have 30kg. We packed a case yesterday and think that it already weighs that by itself!

Cheers,

Gemma
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get

Originally Posted by foxall22
Wow - well done you.

Cheers,

Gemma
Gemma Id be emailing them if I was you. Thats what my fiance did and we got the standard reply which states he can have 40kgs on an unvalidated visa. At least that way you will have some proof if you have any drama at the airport
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

We are flying Glasgow to Perth with Emirates in April and have already validated. I had contacted them about 8 weeks ago by phone and they had said a definate yes to the extra baggage allowance, so I thought that was all sorted. However, I phoned them on Monday to ask about something else and this came up - hey presto the girl on the phone said 'no, you won't qualify as you've already validated'.

Took a deep breath and explained that I had already contacted them for a difinitive answer on this - she said 'there are approx 120 people work here' and I said 'but shouldn't they all be singing from the same hym sheet'!!!!

She then had us scan in copies of our visas and e-mail them to her and she passed them to the Emirates UK visa team and they e-mailed us on Tuesday to confirm that 'yes we are entitled to the 40kgs'.

Still to book the flights though and make sure it says this on the tickets - aaaahhhhh!!!!!

Nikki
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Greg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
We are flying Glasgow to Perth with Emirates in April and have already validated. I had contacted them about 8 weeks ago by phone and they had said a definate yes to the extra baggage allowance, so I thought that was all sorted. However, I phoned them on Monday to ask about something else and this came up - hey presto the girl on the phone said 'no, you won't qualify as you've already validated'.

Took a deep breath and explained that I had already contacted them for a difinitive answer on this - she said 'there are approx 120 people work here' and I said 'but shouldn't they all be singing from the same hym sheet'!!!!

She then had us scan in copies of our visas and e-mail them to her and she passed them to the Emirates UK visa team and they e-mailed us on Tuesday to confirm that 'yes we are entitled to the 40kgs'.
Still to book the flights though and make sure it says this on the tickets - aaaahhhhh!!!!!

Nikki
We flew Manchester-Brisbane with Emirates in September. All I would say is make sure you have an email from either Emirates with names of who you spoke to in Customer Services, or from your travel agent with who they spoke to.

We had validated visas 18 months before coming out, and made sure we had it all in writing via Expedia. When we arrived at Check In they had no knowledge of the extra allowance requested, so I showed them the email. The guy said it was typical Emirates, and that messages were rarely passed on from Customer Services to where it mattered - i.e Check In.

Anyway, having seen the email, there were no issues with the 80kg we had between 3 of us + car seat.

My advice would to make sure you have it in writing and leave nothing to chance. As we were standing there other people were being charged for excess baggage. Hope this helps
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:15 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang on to that email for grim death. Singapore Airlines told us we could have it as we explained our trip a month earlier was validation only and this was our main emigration trip. Problems happened when we got to Singapore and stayed over a night. Luggage had to be checked into Luggage room and not sent straight through. Problems began when we tried to get back on at Singapore when Singapore airlines said we were only allowed the 27 to 30 K even though Singapore airlines UK had let us on with 40K each. They wanted to charge us 30K excess baggage. We stood our ground and waved the Singapore airlines email that luckily had in it that we would be stopping overnight in Singapore and 1 check in girl plus 4 managers later they finally let us on with the same luggage we got there with at no extra charge but it was very close.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hi there, thanks for that. I've just gone and checked that John had kept the e-mail and printed off a hard copy!!! She has asked us to e-mail her back with the flight booking details but I will definately have the e-mail with me and a phone number just in case.

thanks again

Nikki
Old Oct 14th 2006, 5:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hi there, thanks for that. I've just gone and checked that John had kept the e-mail and printed off a hard copy!!! She has asked us to e-mail her back with the flight booking details but I will definately have the e-mail with me and a phone number just in case.

thanks again

Nikki
It was the only thing that saved us, well that and our refusal to back down and insist they take notice of their own companies email.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanne morrish
I phoned Travel bag and they told me the only company doing double baggage allowance is Singapore airways. Everyone else has dropped it. You do only qualify for this if you have been granted a permanent residents visa.

Hope this helps

JO
Remember that you can still get 46kg per person as standard if you fly with United through the US. You can also upgrade that for USD$100 to 64kg per person at the check in desk with no problems at all.

Why people insist on doing things the hard way and fighting with the Asian airlines to get a measly 40kg is beyond me. It's a no brainer as far as I can see.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.