Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Seen lots of threads on here about people saying they couldnt get the 40kgs when they did their one way trip to Oz, especially those that have validated their tickets.

I rang up Singapore Airlines yesterday and asked about it, as it is a factor in who we will fly with in january, the very helpful girl said that we would all get 40kgs when travelling and sent an email to confirm it??

Also said that car seats and buggies are NOT included in our weight allowance, which is even better..... but the golf clubs would be included in our allowance, so that sorts that problem then, in the container they go!! :scared: Much to Husbands horror!!
we were told by BA we could take 40kg and got stung £300 for excess baggage in south africa
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get

Hi All,

Have been fighting Singapore and they're only giving me 30kg, not 40. Have got that in writing but think I'm gonna need 40! Strikes me as pretty tight.

I'm not doing a stopover, my visa is unvalidated, and it's a spouse visa giving me permission to stay until my PR application is decided (in 2 years+ time). GRR.

Any bright ideas!?

Thanks,

Gemma
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi All,

Have been fighting Singapore and they're only giving me 30kg, not 40. Have got that in writing but think I'm gonna need 40! Strikes me as pretty tight.

I'm not doing a stopover, my visa is unvalidated, and it's a spouse visa giving me permission to stay until my PR application is decided (in 2 years+ time). GRR.

Any bright ideas!?

Thanks,

Gemma
Sen it by freight with excess baggage Co.

You are lucky to get 30, as technically thats not a PR visa
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of
Default Re: 40 kgs Baggage Allowance, confused abt other threads on here saying you cant get it??

I picked up a really nice couple from airport 2-3 weeks ago and they were told that they would get it but did not have it in writing, and in England it was fine but they did a two day stopover in Singapore and that is where they had the problems and had to pay 2-300 pounds extra thats was with singapore airlines, so BEWARE OF THE STOPOVER, Paul
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:44 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Read your e-mail carefully and take it to the airport with you.

we were asked if it was a one way ticket...thats what makes the difference, its harder to get the extra baggage if u have a return ticket...whether it is open or not ...hope this helps
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
we were asked if it was a one way ticket...thats what makes the difference, its harder to get the extra baggage if u have a return ticket...whether it is open or not ...hope this helps
we had a 1way ticket did not made a bit of difference to the b*!*!h on the desk
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

joanne morrish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nik04
Again i can only speak for what I have been told we fly next week so i will be happy to tell anyone. You have to be coming out as permanent residents visa it has to say staying in Australia indefantly.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:23 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

We booked through trailfinders and got the 40k on our tickets.

Fiona
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nik04

did u get written confirmation from the airline ?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

justgothere is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be worth considering Air New Zealand. We came over and got 64kg each - regardless of visa or ticket type. I also found them a better airline in general than BA/Qantas - although not quite as good as Singapore.

You do have to fly via the states though.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:18 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justgothere
Could be worth considering Air New Zealand. We came over and got 64kg each - regardless of visa or ticket type. I also found them a better airline in general than BA/Qantas - although not quite as good as Singapore.

You do have to fly via the states though.
Your words will fall on hardened ground here. Many times I've suggested the baggage limit advantages of flying via the US, but very few take any notice.

S
Old Oct 19th 2006, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Abhi is on a distinguished road

You will get the 40 kg allowance mostly if it is a one way ticket to Australia and you dont make a stopover (unless the airlines agrees to give it to you in writing that 40kgs is allowed when u you take a stop over)
We had our visa validation trip in march this year , as we were flying back we were given an allowance of only 20kgs, but now as we were flying to settle down permanently we were given 40kgs this time
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:03 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
I've contacted Singapore Airlines and they will not allow an increase in baggage allowance as we are on a 457 . They have allowed us 25kg even though we are applying for our PR asap.

Lou
We came on a 457 and after a lot of nagging they eventually gave us a 35Kg allowance per person for all 5 of us

Andrew
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

I've been looking at flights from Glasgow to Melbourne with BA/Qantas...booking with Expedia.

I phoned Expedia and they said their e-tickets would only quote 20kgs each, but that their 'policy' was that passengers would be entitled to double that for immigration. When I asked about getting something in writing they suggested contacting Qantas direct. I phoned Qantas last night (Australia) and they said the additional baggage allowance was no longer permitted. They gave me a Qantas UK phone number to contact on Monday, but it sounds as if the extra allowance is a non-starter.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has recently been given extra allowance with Qantas, either having recently flown or booked to fly some time soon.

Cheers David
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Abhi
You will get the 40 kg allowance mostly if it is a one way ticket to Australia and you dont make a stopover (unless the airlines agrees to give it to you in writing that 40kgs is allowed when u you take a stop over)
We had our visa validation trip in march this year , as we were flying back we were given an allowance of only 20kgs, but now as we were flying to settle down permanently we were given 40kgs this time
I have spoken to Singapore Airlines and they said because we validated a couple of years ago, we would only be allowed 30kgs and she said that if they gave more, they would check our visa when we got to check in! The fact that our visa said you must enter the country by january 2005 was proof that we must have already validated! She said the reason is, is that you could have bought 40kg each in on the validation trip and I said "Crikey, we are emigrating in three weeks and are no way near ready, how they think we would be organised enough two years upfront to take stuff out I don't know!" Anyway, basically she said that we will definitely get the 30kg, but not 40kg as they would end up charging excess once they see the dates on our PR visa for entering!

We have put our flights on hold until tomorrow, I just don't know if 30kg will be enough, but at around £32 a kilo excess, its not going to be cheap!

If you have validated and were given 40kg with Singapore and dont' have a stopover with a one way ticket, I'd love to know how you did it.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.