Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 year anniversary!!

4 year anniversary!!

Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default 4 year anniversary!!

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for some time now. Some of you probably won't even know me. But just thought I'd let you all know that we are going to be celebrating our 4th year here (Sydney) tomorrow.

I must say that its been great all the way. I went back to the UK in January for the first time since we have been here and I was a bit worried as to how I would feel. I didn't know if I would feel like I was going home or whether I would feel like a 'tourist' back in england. I have to say, I felt like a complete stranger. I come from Essex and my first impression was how 'bad' the Essex accent sounded and how mortified I was to find I was getting my Essex accent back!! Second was how busy it was everywhere and how paranoid everyone seemed (I went to Romford market and felt very uncomfortable!!). I also noticed how dirty everything looked, but I guess thats just the winter dampness!! My family was the same but I had changed somewhat, and felt like I just didn't fit in anymore. Anyway, needless to say it was great to come back home to sydney again!! I love my lifestyle here, a lifestyle we would never have had in the UK and I wouldn't change it for anything. Not saying there isn't anything that pisses me off here, there are heaps of things, but the good far outway the bad

Mandy
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 year anniversary!!

Glad to hear you have settled into Aus well - enjoy your celebration tomorrow

Originally Posted by Mandy Bale
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for some time now. Some of you probably won't even know me. But just thought I'd let you all know that we are going to be celebrating our 4th year here (Sydney) tomorrow.

I must say that its been great all the way. I went back to the UK in January for the first time since we have been here and I was a bit worried as to how I would feel. I didn't know if I would feel like I was going home or whether I would feel like a 'tourist' back in england. I have to say, I felt like a complete stranger. I come from Essex and my first impression was how 'bad' the Essex accent sounded and how mortified I was to find I was getting my Essex accent back!! Second was how busy it was everywhere and how paranoid everyone seemed (I went to Romford market and felt very uncomfortable!!). I also noticed how dirty everything looked, but I guess thats just the winter dampness!! My family was the same but I had changed somewhat, and felt like I just didn't fit in anymore. Anyway, needless to say it was great to come back home to sydney again!! I love my lifestyle here, a lifestyle we would never have had in the UK and I wouldn't change it for anything. Not saying there isn't anything that pisses me off here, there are heaps of things, but the good far outway the bad

Mandy
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it's good Mandy

It's one of the things I occassionally think about....how will I find it if we ever go back for a visit. Estranged is perhaps an apt word for you.

Keep enjoying
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luma
Glad to hear you have settled into Aus well - enjoy your celebration tomorrow
thanks, what really makes it is when my 9 year old son starts talking about what he is going to do when he grows up (he's beyond his years mentally!!). he starts talking about going to England to work for a year then coming back here to work etc. he wouldn't have had that opportunity if we'd stayed in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy

I enjoyed reading your post - like Bix I often wonder how I would feel when we visit the UK sometime. Family and friends will, i'm sure, act differently towards us as we will with them - it must be a weird feeling as none of us have ever been away from close family for this long ever before! I think one of the worst things for me will be when we have to say goodbye - must be so emotional.

Already know I wont be impressed with the over conjested town we used to call 'home' - didn't like it when we were there and wont like it when we visit - shame it took us so long to do something about it!

We have 'grown' as people so much since moving to OZ, our lifestyle has changed dramatically - how could we ever feel the same again about anything - impossible!

Have a good celebration tomorrow on your 4th Anniversary and here's to many, many more happy years in Australia

Gill
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:43 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy Bale

Mandy

Romford market eh, we used to live 6 miles from there and I've always hated it.

We're from Chigwell/ Hainault, where in Essex are you from?

Congratulations on your successful migration
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
Romford market eh, we used to live 6 miles from there and I've always hated it.

We're from Chigwell/ Hainault, where in Essex are you from?

Congratulations on your successful migration
I grew up in Upminster then moved to Grays (well Chafford Hundred). I used to take my horse to Hainault forest for a ride occasionally!