Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Wikiposts

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Thanks BB

The way things are going just now i'll be driving a daewoo, any news on the house yet?

Lynn
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by deedee
Land Rover's are by far not the easiest 4x4s to work on.It may be true of post 1990 vehicles but as for tdi's and V8 NAS vehicles,they are far harder to sort out than any Hilux.As for the TD5!the fly by wire throttle alone makes difficult off road driving in low range.Land Rover have been trading on the strength of its name for years and no longer cuts it with the competition.Its no longer the best choice and sales show it.As for reliability,it is quite simply abismal and if you go on any of the off road forums you see that the only topic of conversation is what and how theyre having to fix on Land Rovers.As for taking one across the desert(or even 90 mile beach) i would'nt as its a proven fact that you are more likely to breakdown in a Land Rover than any other 4x4.......,by the way,i worked for and with Land Rover for over 4 years in special vehicles and built 3 years of Camel Trophey Land Rovers when i was manager of the subbies that built them,plus did destruction testing on the freelander when it was first developed.I could give you hours of examples of how bad they really are.Land Rover products were good 30 years ago,but now they're no better than a Lada Niva,a very expensive one at that.

You're the expert on this matter - no doubt. Without as much experience, I agree with your view. I had a Discovery a couple of years ago and it was the most unreliable car I've ever had. I'm not slagging Landrovers off for the sake of it, as I really have a soft spot for them, but it is a sad fact that they are not as reliable as the Landcruiser / Partol.

After a spell with a Ford Ranger pickup, which was faultless, I now have a Nissan Navara pickup which is faultless and also comfy and fun to drive.

The thing that makes my blood boil is BMW though. They raped Landrover for the HDC technology and did nothing for the brand. Their X5 is their bastard child from this unhappy marriage. Landrover are better off with Ford.

On Top Gear a few weeks ago, Clarkson tested the lot on a slimy slope (typical English off road conditions). Which was the worst? The BMW - it practically failed to move - flailed around like some Teutonic Tart!

Landcruiser was not much better, The new Range Rover was impressive, but which was the King of Traction? a 1949 Series 1 80 inch.

Those were, indeed, the days!

Last edited by sundarize; Aug 20th 2003 at 8:54 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by baldbutts
Another 4x4 with proper belts is the Mitsubishi Outlander-one of the few cars they give a 'drive away' (on the road ) price for
$31,000,but it's not got as high a driving position.

We are thinking of getting the Nissan x-trail,as we'll be towing a small boat more than we'll go off road.They're around $35k drive away,but we found a local dealer who'll do it for 31k-if only we had the cash now eh ?
The X-trail only has a lap belt in the middle,but we've only got the one kid,and the Hermit crabs have their own 'crabitarium'
You can buy the Renault Scenic out here,but servicing and parts aren't cheap.

BB-Pope-mobile for me
I looked at the X-Trail & it is very nice, the interior is not as nice as the RAV4 (the central imstrument panel would take some getting used to) but it is more spacious, the way the rear seats fold down is ingenious & it has a proper tailgate. It's more of a real 4x4 than the RAV4, but not as good on the road. The only reason I didn't get one was availability, it was going to be 3 months, so I went for the RAV4.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landcruiser it is

Folks,

Thanks for the entertaining info that all have given .... Changed my mind a couple of times but I think we`ve finally settled on the Landcruiser.

Cheers
Wolfen
Old Aug 21st 2003, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landcruiser it is

Originally posted by Wolfen
Folks,

Thanks for the entertaining info that all have given .... Changed my mind a couple of times but I think we`ve finally settled on the Landcruiser.

Cheers
Wolfen
Hi all,
Do you know what the price range for a landcruiser in Aus is (cost, taxes, insurance, registration = final cost) ? Also is it better to buy second hand or new?

Thanks
Nina
Old Aug 21st 2003, 1:41 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Originally posted by jarv
Galaxy------ a "fairy mobile" not the 4x4 version with a 2.8 VR6 engine !!!!!!!!
And what can this powerfull 4 x 4 do off road......?
Old Aug 21st 2003, 1:52 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by chippy
Come on somebody...which is better the V8 or the Td landcruiser ?
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:41 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default 4x4

Any Jap 4X4

Try the full size Navara 5 seats clime control for all massive grd clearance, auto box 4.6 tdi or bigger petrols, and room enough for an 8x4 sheet of ply cant be bad. Oh and a canopy and itl even keep the old dogs warm when it rains??

Get one of these for the sheila and the boys get a nissan skyline for fun.

Happy motoring try the road from Caiguna to Balladonia she how fast she can GO!!!!!! (good for the girls 150 k of straight and i mean straight road) Even your land cruiser could cope :scared:
Old Aug 21st 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Come on somebody...which is better the V8 or the Td landcruiser ?

basically that's a question only your wallet can answer
both are good solid engines the td will go on forever -but needs reg oil changes etc
the v8 is a good motor (is it the same as the lexus?? i seem to think so...) less servicing but bigger bills..

however-

my mates amazon td got around 25-30 mpg
the v8 is roughly 1/2..

you pays yer money ...

cheers

richard
Old Aug 21st 2003, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

Pretty much what every other 4x4 does ....... never go off-road
Old Aug 21st 2003, 11:35 am
owieb

Originally posted by jarv
Pretty much what every other 4x4 does ....... never go off-road
Only for those with no sense of adventure and buy one because they want to feel safe!

If you want to feel safe on the roads of Perth, buy a tank and shoot the hoons off the street before they get to you!

Old Aug 21st 2003, 1:23 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

The Land Cruiser diesel is a gem of and engine,the six cylinder is better than the V8 petrol,its got more torque and is more fuel efficient.Make sure you get a turbo one though as the normally asperated 6 cylinder diesels are very underpowered.The 12 valve ones (earlier models) are also not as fuel efficient as the later,post 96 24valve models.There are really only 3 models of the Land Cruiser,the 100 series,which is a 6 cylinder non turbo,live front axle,proper off road outback vehicle a la UN spec.....or the 100 series VX which is turbo'd,and has independant front end,more comfortable suspension!Also has a few goodies.Then there is the 100 series VX Limited which has all the toys and leather for the towny to off road in a suit These are called Amazon's in the UK,everywhere else they are called 100 series.
All the older post 96 Land Cruisers are live axled and have a choppier ride but they really are nearly bomb proof.A friend here has a 95 one thats done 500,000kms and has had nothing but routine service....never had any rebuild of any componants yet.If you get one of these stuck you will have probably got any other 4 wheeled vehicle stuck too.

A brand new 100 series VX TDI will cost with discount,78 ish,kNZ$ and 120NZ$ every 7500kms for service.There was one in town for sale today,1996,160,000kms,VX Limited,good condition,26,000NZ$

Last edited by deedee; Aug 21st 2003 at 1:30 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 7:41 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by deedee
The Land Cruiser diesel is a gem of and engine,the six cylinder is better than the V8 petrol,its got more torque and is more fuel efficient.Make sure you get a turbo one though as the normally asperated 6 cylinder diesels are very underpowered.The 12 valve ones (earlier models) are also not as fuel efficient as the later,post 96 24valve models.There are really only 3 models of the Land Cruiser,the 100 series,which is a 6 cylinder non turbo,live front axle,proper off road outback vehicle a la UN spec.....or the 100 series VX which is turbo'd,and has independant front end,more comfortable suspension!Also has a few goodies.Then there is the 100 series VX Limited which has all the toys and leather for the towny to off road in a suit These are called Amazon's in the UK,everywhere else they are called 100 series.
All the older post 96 Land Cruisers are live axled and have a choppier ride but they really are nearly bomb proof.A friend here has a 95 one thats done 500,000kms and has had nothing but routine service....never had any rebuild of any componants yet.If you get one of these stuck you will have probably got any other 4 wheeled vehicle stuck too.

A brand new 100 series VX TDI will cost with discount,78 ish,kNZ$ and 120NZ$ every 7500kms for service.There was one in town for sale today,1996,160,000kms,VX Limited,good condition,26,000NZ$
A very informative post which I thank you for, although I'm a bit dissapointed cos I would have liked a V8. Common sense dictates the Td it would seem.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 11:49 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

After a week of test driving various cars we bought a Toyota Prado GXL. It is a 4lt v6, petrol, so it only does about 20 to the gallon. The petrol only needs to be serviced every 10K kilometres whereas the diesel needs to be serviced every 5k kilometres. Therefore what you would save on fuel costs you would pay out on service costs. We bought the car new and paid a little bit more to get a 6 year warranty for peace of mind. Second hand cars hold their value here - on the forecourt at the garage there was the same car secondhand for more than we managed to negotiate brand new!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 11:57 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by dmf
on the forecourt at the garage there was the same car secondhand for more than we managed to negotiate brand new!
How is this possible? Is there a shortage of new cars or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.