4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Wikiposts

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Originally posted by chippy
Land cruiser, without a doubt. Galaxy is a fairy-mobil.

Galaxy------ a "fairy mobile" not the 4x4 version with a 2.8 VR6 engine !!!!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Anybody got any thoughts on Mitsubishi Challengers.

They only do a petrol version but it looks pretty solid. I spoke to a couple of owners on my last tripand they rated it pretty highly.

I just always thought the LC was just that bit too big (if it's possible to be too big!)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:03 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dinky
Any views on the Toyota Rav4 4 door?
The future Mrs D is demanding something fun and sytlist and I no longer seem to fit the picture. I was planning on getting her a Ventra/Astra/Honda Accord but the old soft roader does appeal. Also means that I can get something completely impractical for the weekend.

Dinky
Rav 4 4 Door good fun stylish soft roader. Three point seat belts in rear for three seats, rear seats split 50;50, easy to remove and put back. Lots of leg room in front and rear with rear seats tilting and moving forward/back. Good for driving on sand, not tried rougher terrain. Cost new about $30k, get the windows tinted for about $500 (cuts out UV by about 98%). Check out www.toyota.com.au
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
It seems to me that anyone who has half-decent knowledge here would go for the LC.

Which engine tho...the V8 or the Td??

I really would like an answer to this, cos I am def going to get one of em.

Hi Chippy

My husband is a chippie too here in Perth. He has bought a LC td..... after much research and thought. (You'll need a 4X4 as new builds are on sand and it's a bugger to get your tools on/near site without one). The LC is a Jap import, the Aussies seem to be wary of the imports at the mo - Perhaps because the imports run on 24 volt? But they are getting more and more popular over here. LC hold their price very well, expect to pay even more for a diesel as the engine supposed to last longer than petrol.................600k.

Shikse
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:08 pm
owieb

Originally posted by jayr
Rav 4 4 Door good fun stylish soft roader. Three point seat belts in rear for three seats, rear seats split 50;50, easy to remove and put back. Lots of leg room in front and rear with rear seats tilting and moving forward/back. Good for driving on sand, not tried rougher terrain. Cost new about $30k, get the windows tinted for about $500 (cuts out UV by about 98%). Check out www.toyota.com.au
They look great, but can't hack real off-road driving, not enough clearance, power, gears or build quality.

If you want to crusie round town they're fine, but if you want to go out in the outback or forests get a proper 4WD.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:12 pm
owieb

Originally posted by deedee
id rather have a cheaper toyota 4 runner (hilux type 4x4) than any ford galaxy.The UN won't buy anything other than toyota now simply because they are the most reliable vehicle manufacturer.Everything breaksdown every now and then but you have more chance of breaking down in a ford than a toyota and most 4x4s can run in 2 wheel drive,Landcruisers an exception!
Top choice!

I got a Toyota Hilux Surf, the imported version of the 4 runner and it rocks! An absolute power house of a car that can go anywhere!

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:33 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

reposted to put a suitable size image in

I am not really commenting on the virtues or otherwise of People Movers, but....
Nobody I know here has one
I would definitely get a 4WD if you want a vehicle of that sort of size - far more versatile in my opinion.
As for which 4WD - I tend to agree with what a lot of previous posters have said. For a "proper" 4WD that also offers reliability and less expensive/more available spares and service, I would go for either a Nissan or a Toyota (and this from someone who grew up in a farming area where the only 4WD to have was a LandRover). My wife's immediate family in Qld all have at least one 4WD and between them own: Toyota LandCruiser, Toyota LandCruiser Trayback, Toyota Prado, 2 x Toyota HiLux twin cab, Mitsubishi Pajero and Nissan Patrol. It really depends what you want it for. If you are planning on long off-road trips through the middle of nowhere - get a LandCruiser or Patrol. If you are planning on short off road adventures with a club or a group of friends then get something (anything) as a second vehicle for doing that and have a car for every day. If you want to be able to get onto (and along) the beach then pretty well anything will cope - as long as you drive within the vehicle's capabilities (and your own). To be honest, so far in my experience of beach driving here, the only bits that need 4WD are the cuttings from the dirt roads through the dunes and onto the beach and the soft sand above the high water mark. Choose your beach well and know your tides and most of your driving will be on firm level sand that a normal 2WD could manage.

We have a mid sized 4WD (Nissan Pathfinder - see the pic) - I find it is fine for my daily commute into town and does not seem too noisy for long journeys by road. We wanted something that could go up the beach without trouble and was capable of pulling a trailer. The only issue with it on the beach is that it does not have the clearance of a larger vehicle, so if the road is very rutted the floor starts trying to push a ton of sand along (since discovering this I now carry a folding shovel). We have had this car for 2 years with no problems. If I could have afforded a bit more we would have got a Patrol or the LandCruiser - mainly for the extra seating. For those who are concerned about having lap/sash seat belts all I can suggest is get one of the 7 seaters and don't use the centre seat with the lapbelt, or get one of the less serious 4WDs. Ours has a lap belt centre, but we only have two boys (both still in child seats/booster seats).

Cheers,
DagBoy

P.S. The pics are 40 mile beach (between Noosa and Double Island Point). The wreck is the Cherry Venture before it was bulldozed.

P.P.S. Normal road rules apply on this beach - speed limit is 50 or 80 and I have seen the police on there with a radar gun pulling people up for speeding (and then also doing them for being over the limit, no seatbelts, kids riding on the back of a Ute etc.)
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-dsc00081s.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:36 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

the other pics
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-dsc00068s.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:37 pm
Cheesy Member

and one more
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-dsc00073s.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:48 pm
owieb

Nice pics DagBoy!

Couldn't resist adding some as well! Enjoy!

These were taken on a 4WD course that we went on. Having not had any 'real' experience of driving a 4WD it seemed the best thing to do.

I really recommend doing something like this, not only is it great fun, but it prepares you for driving out in the bush.
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-4wd01.jpg  

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:49 pm
owieb

Another!
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-4wd02.jpg  

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:55 pm
owieb

This pic was taken on a trip upto Mt Observation in the Perth hills.

It's not of our car, but shows you the kind of stuff the cars can be put through.

There are loads of 4WD clubs in Perth, and they organise trips, day, weekend ones etc. It's a great way to get to know people, a great way to get out there and use the car for what it's meant for.

Highly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier-4wd.jpg  

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:57 pm
Cheesy Member

Originally posted by owieb
These were taken on a 4WD course that we went on. Having not had any 'real' experience of driving a 4WD it seemed the best thing to do.

I really recommend doing something like this, not only is it great fun, but it prepares you for driving out in the bush.
I did one - just covering beach driving - and I have not been bogged since
Old Aug 20th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware, for those with small kids, if you are going to a beach where cars are allowed, then you have to make sure the kids don't play anywhere near where the vehicles are going to be driving! Our kids got shouted at by an irate driver while they were busy building sandcastles, we moved them to a different spot but it didn't make any difference, these guys in the 4WD's wanted to be able to drive freely across the sand without worrying about kiddies, fair enough. Best to go to a family beach with kids, the car parks are always right next to the sand area, so not too far to lug the Esky (coolbox), chairs, buckets and spades, umbrella, etc.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:41 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by lynnj
Hi Jaqui

Thanks for that info, you have probably saved me 3 weeks worth of visiting garages, i dont see the point of going for a big off roader unless you intend to use it as such. The 3 pont seat belt is a big thing for me as a girl i knew at school was the centre back seat passenger in a head on collision, now she has to be fed through a tube as the damage caused to her stomach by the lap belt was so severe! I couldnt take that chance with my kids.

Lynn
Another 4x4 with proper belts is the Mitsubishi Outlander-one of the few cars they give a 'drive away' (on the road ) price for
$31,000,but it's not got as high a driving position.

We are thinking of getting the Nissan x-trail,as we'll be towing a small boat more than we'll go off road.They're around $35k drive away,but we found a local dealer who'll do it for 31k-if only we had the cash now eh ?
The X-trail only has a lap belt in the middle,but we've only got the one kid,and the Hermit crabs have their own 'crabitarium'
You can buy the Renault Scenic out here,but servicing and parts aren't cheap.

BB-Pope-mobile for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.