Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Wikiposts

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:40 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Houdini
Anyone know how much a second hand Defender costs over there and how easy is it to get parts? I'm assuming the answers are: they're not cheap and parts are expensive. Does anyone know any different?
Defenders are not that common really, but you should be able to get parts in all the major cities. Discos are the only really popular landrover over there.

I've been looking regularly and you can pick up TD5s from about $25k, and series 2 - 3 diesels from about 10k. There is a nice 110 from 1993 for sale at a dealers in Woornambool a t the mo, thats going for 13k. Not a bad price really.

I would really want the 90 in a TD5......but my wallet won't allow it !! Im probably going to go for either a Nissan Patrol or a Cruiser. Dunno yet.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Now i know you are going to laugh at me, but here goes. Has anyone heard any feed back on the Vitara xl7? I used to have a crysler voyager and really liked it, very luxurious but at the end of the day it was still driving a van. I dont want a big 4x4 and dont need permanent 7 seat option so we thought that the Suzuki might be an ok option.

Is there any equivelant to the likes of the picasso or the scenic? In the (limited) research I've done it seems most cars don't have a 3 point seat belt in the centre back seat, with 3 kids you really need it!

Lynn
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

voyager eh? trying to keep up with the blairs are we ;-)?

unless you're a hairdresser who likes rolling cars over -don't buy the suzi..

http://www.fastlane.com.au/

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/Citr...o_Brisbane.htm

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

actually i'm a nail technician and have never rolled a car over, had my voyager before the blairs even thought of theirs, i'll go and look at those links although i'm sure i shouldnt.

Lynn
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:09 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Land Rover used to have a 90% share of the 4x4 market of Australasia in 1970.they now have less than 5%.One off the most unreliable,unfriendly and uncomfortable 4x4's on the market.Land Rovers are also at a premium over here compared to anything Jap.
A new Land Rover 110 td5 with a tad discount will cost you 75nz$
A new Mitsubishi Pajero long wheel base will cost 48nz$
A new Toyota Prado should cost about 60nz$
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Steve Irwin advertises and endorses Toyota over here. Gotta be a Landcruiser then!!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Loads of 2nd hand Pajeros on the market in Adelaide around $20-$30k but old and high mileage. Guzzle petrol but petrol is cheap $50 fill tank, not bad..

Mash...

Originally posted by deedee
Land Rover used to have a 90% share of the 4x4 market of Australasia in 1970.they now have less than 5%.One off the most unreliable,unfriendly and uncomfortable 4x4's on the market.Land Rovers are also at a premium over here compared to anything Jap.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

could you import from nz like we do here? (which import from japan and convert)

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:15 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checking out the situation in NZ - it seems it's going to be easier than I thought, Turner's auctions seems to be the way http://www.turners.co.nz/auctions/?a....html?type=car .

Anyone got experience of them?

Watching this thread with interest as I know nothing much about 4WDs and yes, my wife has confirmed she wants a badass one!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

if you have never bought a car at an auction i would consider going along (without a deposit so you cannot buy) and sitting at the back..

get a list of the cars on the day and as each one goes through note if it sold and what it went for..if not how much did it make before being driven off

do this for every car so you can then wander round the second hand car lots comparing how much a dealer will 'stripe' them up..

remember along paying for his lifestyle holiday pension office etc you should also get a g.tee which you won't buying from auction

(apart from a 'stolen/repro/outstanding hp writeoff' etc -at least the uk does this...)

then next time you will have a clearer idea of what the score is..

don't forget

1 don't get hooked into one particular car -there will always be another just like it coming up soon...

2 colour isn't too important- unless it's brown

3 watch out for the auctioneer 'bidding you off the back wall' see no/1

4 the newer the car the better

5 do your research

good luck

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:43 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Richard! Turner's do offer protection insurance against stolen cars though, which makes it seem a bit safer. NZD250. They say:

And when you buy a car the Turners way you're also protected by our unique Purchase Protection Plan... the kind of assurance you just can't get when you buy privately. If the seller doesn't have true title or supplies incorrect details about the vehicle, we'll put the situation right on your behalf. There is no chance of getting stuck with a stolen vehicle when buying from Turners.

We also take the hassle out of the change of ownership requirements by doing everything for you. So, overall, buying the Turners way means a huge choice of cars at the right price and hassle-free, stress-free, buying. As an added bonus, if you subsequently decide to sell the car you bought at auction, you can bring it back and the price will be based on the same market price criteria.

Buy and sell through Turners and you will always be assured of true market value.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There was a program on a few years ago with Jeremy Clarkson driving round the outback in a Landrover, it broke down. The program showed that nearly all 4x4's in the Outback were Toyota's. I'll be getting a Landcruiser in Australia, we have a RAV4 over here & it's fantastic. In South Africa the Hilux is king of the bush (2 & 4 wheel drive). The only manufacturers of 4x4's that I would buy are Toyota, Nissan or BMW.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:49 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by deedee

Defenders are also the easiest car to work on (not the TD5s...)so if you need to whipout the fuel filter you don't need a degree in computer science....and they are still without question the best car off-road....

I know its not at "comfy" as the newer designs, but even that has advantages... Drive thru a river above the door seals and if water comes in you don't have to worry about the upholstery stinking for weeks....cos there is none etc

The only two cars i would take offroad apart from the defender would be the landcruiser and the nissan patrol.

Steve Irwin......pah !

The Bushy Tucker Man uses a defender. Thats good enough for me
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:50 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Amazulu
There was a program on a few years ago with Jeremy Clarkson driving round the outback in a Landrover, it broke down. The program showed that nearly all 4x4's in the Outback were Toyota's. I'll be getting a Landcruiser in Australia, we have a RAV4 over here & it's fantastic. In South Africa the Hilux is king of the bush (2 & 4 wheel drive). The only manufacturers of 4x4's that I would buy are Toyota, Nissan or BMW.
The car that broke down......was it a discovery or a freelander?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

my mate had a range rover brand new

after two weeks the drain plug fell out..but it wasn't just the plug but the whole fitting threaded section and all -they haddn't welded it in properly..then the dealer tried to tell him it wasn't warrenty !!

another guy i know works for LR and he was involved in the development of the new RR -much better car

BMW were horrified by the piss poor quality control and the arrogant 'but we're landrover' regarding the compitition that they wer quite happy to get shot of them even though that was the only reason for buying BL in the first place..

cheers

richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.