Reload this Page >

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Folks,

For a family of 3 children and 2 adults in Aus, what is the best, a 4 x 4 or a People Carrier. ie, Land Cruiser or Ford Galaxy.

Also, what are classed as the best for each in Aus.

Cheers
Wolfen
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:57 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Originally posted by Wolfen
Folks,

For a family of 3 children and 2 adults in Aus, what is the best, a 4 x 4 or a People Carrier. ie, Land Cruiser or Ford Galaxy.

Cheers
Wolfen
Land cruiser, without a doubt. Galaxy is a fairy-mobil.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

not quite as simple as that...

a people carrier is basically a big car but you get car advantages..much quieter on the road and more usable space, better handling. more designed for every day living...

you feel more relaxed in a mpv than a 4x4 -esp if travelling distances...

if you want to go 'off road' then there is not 'choice'

however a 'galaxy' is a ford (or v.w/seat) but a l.c is a toyota and a much more reliable vehicle..

having said that my mitsubushi 53k g.box blew up 2 weeks ago and my mates 15th month old toyota aventis with 34k today just went bang -so even the japanese are not what they were..

cheers

richard
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:36 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Richard,

what do you think of things like the Ford Ranger aka the courier in Oz?

Regards
Mark
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

There has been a lot said recently in the press about the safety of people carriers in a crash (crumple on impact apparently some worse than others) so its a Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser for me.
some models have 8 seats too.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have a Toyota Previa over here and are thinking of going for a 4x4 out there. Probably a Toyota Prada or something. They have 3 rows of seats as well so no problems with the kids arguing. If you want to go off road a 4x4 will better, but like the other poster said people carriers are probably more suited to the road.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

in all honesty i can't say

although i don't hold ford/gm anywhere near the same league as anything japanese or german..

i will email my friend in auckland who is the serivce director for

http://www.ccs.co.nz/

what he doesn't know about this isn't really worth knowing...

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 x 4 Versus People Carrier

Originally posted by Wolfen
Folks,

Cheers
Wolfen

I't take the Cruiser over the Galaxy any day, for one it's a Toyota, the other is a Ford.

Secondly, if you have an accident, the people carriers have a terrible safety reputation.

As do the 4X4's - for the other car involved...
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:27 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by r.bartlett
you feel more relaxed in a mpv than a 4x4 -esp if travelling distances...
That depends on your 4x4.
Mine has dual climate control in the front, aircon in the back (for the dog ), big comfy leather seats, auto box, cruise control, adjustable suspension, sat-nav.

It's bumpy tarmac country roads that brings out the worst in mine. 100km/h on a lumpy road with high ground clearance and offroad suspension can have you bouncing around inside. A car will still bounce, but not as high.

..but if you want to be able to still do 100km/h when the road has turned to chuncky gravel, or do that last 1km down to the remote beach, you'll be glad you picked an offroader.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

but they were asking about a ford..

we're not all as rich as you ;-)

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:00 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by r.bartlett
but they were asking about a ford..

we're not all as rich as you ;-)
... put together you might be

Anyhoo, it's a Land Cruiser.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:04 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

id rather have a cheaper toyota 4 runner (hilux type 4x4) than any ford galaxy.The UN won't buy anything other than toyota now simply because they are the most reliable vehicle manufacturer.Everything breaksdown every now and then but you have more chance of breaking down in a ford than a toyota and most 4x4s can run in 2 wheel drive,Landcruisers an exception!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:50 am
Badge

Originally posted by deedee
id rather have a cheaper toyota 4 runner (hilux type 4x4) than any ford galaxy.The UN won't buy anything other than toyota now simply because they are the most reliable vehicle manufacturer.Everything breaksdown every now and then but you have more chance of breaking down in a ford than a toyota and most 4x4s can run in 2 wheel drive,Landcruisers an exception!
agreed - I'm going for the twin cab 4x4 hilux..

Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:50 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

From our two weeks experience here so far you don't see many people movers on the road over here at all. We had a people carrier in the UK and wanted a car of a similar size and height. 4WD cars are very common on the road especially as they adapt to any sort of terrain. We have been looking at land to buy and you can go anywhere - in a car we would not have been able to. With the amount of 4WD, lorries and vans on the road, you feel quite intimidated driving along the busy freeway next to all of these. We went for a Toyota Prado and have no regrets so far.

Dawn
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:28 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Anyone know how much a second hand Defender costs over there and how easy is it to get parts? I'm assuming the answers are: they're not cheap and parts are expensive. Does anyone know any different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.