Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:41 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Ok - we leave next month and on top my list is a 4 x 4 to buy. Rather than a children carrying urban assault vehicle we actually need one thanks to the dear lady and her passion for horses and muddy fields. That and the dog etc and the no doubt towing of horse trailers. Anyway...

The question is which to get. Seems to be a toss up between the Pajero or Landcruiser. I had a Ford Explorer here and it ate fuel and frankly was not impressed. The X Trail I think is too small and the Jeep just not really up to it I think. Am thinking a diesel model at the moment for fuel economy long term.

Anyone any opinions on which I should look at and perhaps any top tips when buying a 4x4 in Brisbane ?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:57 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Originally Posted by Centurion
Ok - we leave next month and on top my list is a 4 x 4 to buy. Rather than a children carrying urban assault vehicle we actually need one thanks to the dear lady and her passion for horses and muddy fields. That and the dog etc and the no doubt towing of horse trailers. Anyway...

The question is which to get. Seems to be a toss up between the Pajero or Landcruiser. I had a Ford Explorer here and it ate fuel and frankly was not impressed. The X Trail I think is too small and the Jeep just not really up to it I think. Am thinking a diesel model at the moment for fuel economy long term.

Anyone any opinions on which I should look at and perhaps any top tips when buying a 4x4 in Brisbane ?
Any 4x4 will guzzle the gas The Nissan xtrail got a high rating in the top 100 power survey this year , from the two you have picked i would got for the Toyota !
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Landcruiser has a long and well-established reputaion; I'd go in that direction if I were you.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Landcruiser has a long and well-established reputaion; I'd go in that direction if I were you.
Go for the landcruiser, it is tried and tested. The Explorer is ok, but a bit of a yank tank, looks good but does not really perform. My Sister had an Explorer in Melbourne and she had to get rid of it due to its fuel consumption. And last but not least don't forget the Landrover, I know it has had a lot of adverse press over the last few years, but if it is used for for what it is designed for i.e a working vehicle and not something to take the kids to school it performs really well.

John
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:27 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

we've got a RAV4 here, and the landcruiser is our probably our next vehicle. i too have a passion for horses and all things mucky!!! brother has got pajero in NSW, he likes it, but i do think it likes the fuel a bit too much.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:29 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the new Nissan Murano..it's a gorgeous looking car! I am coveting one as we speak!

http://www.nissan.com.au/murano/
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:30 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Float towing, in oz it is illegal[and stupid] for the float and horses combined, to weigh more than the tow vehicle. My neighbour,[race Horse trainer]uses a NISSAN Patrol turbo diesel to tow a 4 horse float, legal with 3horses in it, if they have 4 horses they use a FORD F250 6.5ltr Turbo-diesel and get reasonable economy on both................ mm
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:30 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Ok, haven't bought a 4x4 in Oz yet, but as a horseowner with a trailer have had a few 4x4's. Have had a landrover and pajero in the past, but the best one I've had so far has been my ole faithful Kia Sportage 4x4. Bit of a gas guzzler, but has suited me fine with all the horsey stuff I do. Ok, ok, I hear you all sniggering and tutting of 'women pah' but really this is a great, reasonably priced, good working 4x4 and believe me, I've put mine through its paces over the years. Have dragged the horses all over the country on the back of that (well not literally). Smells worse than the stable now, but I love it. Oh and Jeremy Clarkson raved about them when they reviewed them on Top Gear last year!!!

Mind you, the landcruiser is one hell of a beaut!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:32 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of places to buy 4x's in Brizzy, and plenty where you can TRICK it up.

We have 2 4x4's both Mitsubishi.

I have a Triton 4x4 dual cab ute, diesel.
Debs has her imported Shogun.

I have always preferred the grunt of diesel, but you can go GAS for about $1000+ conversion. Currently i think gas is about 47 cents a litre.

Most horse owners we know have either Fords 150 and 250's or Cruisers or patrols.
F250's are HUGE , bigger than but not as handsome as the Flared Arched Chevvys.
Neighbour has a 10litre 6 wheeler chevy 4x4 and it sounds like a 747 taking off when he revs her.

Get to Brizzy and do the Magic Mile , plenty of Dealers down there.
Or buy via Zupps I did great deals on NEW vehicles plus if you are ABN holder you get ABN discount front loaded

oh and couldnt resist this pic

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Aug 24th 2005 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Float towing, in oz it is illegal[and stupid] for the float and horses combined, to weigh more than the tow vehicle. My neighbour,[race Horse trainer]uses a NISSAN Patrol turbo diesel to tow a 4 horse float, legal with 3horses in it, if they have 4 horses they use a FORD F250 6.5ltr Turbo-diesel and get reasonable economy on both................ mm
My BIL has a Ford 250, I think it is a 7ltr diesel and he reckons that it is pretty good on fuel and he said that his neighbours don't need an alarm clock because when he starts it up it sounds like a bus
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:38 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
Ok, haven't bought a 4x4 in Oz yet, but as a horseowner with a trailer have had a few 4x4's. Have had a landrover and pajero in the past, but the best one I've had so far has been my ole faithful Kia Sportage 4x4. Bit of a gas guzzler, but has suited me fine with all the horsey stuff I do. Ok, ok, I hear you all sniggering and tutting of 'women pah' but really this is a great, reasonably priced, good working 4x4 and believe me, I've put mine through its paces over the years. Have dragged the horses all over the country on the back of that (well not literally). Smells worse than the stable now, but I love it. Oh and Jeremy Clarkson raved about them when they reviewed them on Top Gear last year!!!

Mind you, the landcruiser is one hell of a beaut!
im not sniggering or tutting - its a good work horse. plenty of people have them.

centurion, what about a 'pick up' truck as the next vehicle?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
My BIL has a Ford 250, I think it is a 7ltr diesel and he reckons that it is pretty good on fuel and he said that his neighbours don't need an alarm clock because when he starts it up it sounds like a bus
haha Yep

I wanted to Import the SRT10 http://www.dodge.com/srt-10/

But apparently because it was only avail in LHD and NEW was a no can do
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Welshie]Ok, haven't bought a 4x4 in Oz yet, but as a horseowner with a trailer have had a few 4x4's. Have had a landrover and pajero in the past, but the best one I've had so far has been my ole faithful Kia Sportage 4x4. Bit of a gas guzzler, but has suited me fine with all the horsey stuff I do. Ok, ok, I hear you all sniggering and tutting of 'women pah' but really this is a great, reasonably priced, good working 4x4 and believe me, I've put mine through its paces over the years. Have dragged the horses all over the country on the back of that (well not literally). Smells worse than the stable now, but I love it. Oh and Jeremy Clarkson raved about them when they reviewed them on Top Gear last year!!!

Don't listen to that fool Clarkson, I have forgotten more about cars than he has ever known, but all the Kia range are great vehicles and the people who snigger about them don't really know anything about them other than their name.

John
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

New Nissan Pathfinder, looked at one today. Very nice. Not bad price too.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Originally Posted by jond
Don't listen to that fool Clarkson, I have forgotten more about cars than he has ever known, but all the Kia range are great vehicles and the people who snigger about them don't really know anything about them other than their name.

John
If I read Welshie's post correctly, it would seem that Clarkson is just as much a fan of Kias as you are.

So you actually agree with him on this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.