Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 seasons in a day in Melbourne?

4 seasons in a day in Melbourne?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

willow green is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 seasons in a day in Melbourne?

I heard some comments about 4 seasons in a day in Melbourne, does that happen all year round or only in winter?

what surburb would you recommend us to live where it is close to the city of Melbourne(for the convenience of getting works), schools and parks (I love walking in the park)? And what is the price there for say a standard 3 bed house with garden and swimming pool?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 seasons in a day in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by willow green
I heard some comments about 4 seasons in a day in Melbourne, does that happen all year round or only in winter?

what surburb would you recommend us to live where it is close to the city of Melbourne(for the convenience of getting works), schools and parks (I love walking in the park)? And what is the price there for say a standard 3 bed house with garden and swimming pool?
Never ever seen 4 seasons in 1 day.

What happens is that a day which starts off hot might experience a cold change, (thankfully sometimes) and sometimes in summer a day which starts off overcast might end up with brilliant blue skies - just the clouds burning off, or maybe a shower might come in. Last time I checked, this was not an unusual thing in many places. Be freaky to have the same weather all year around - and most of the south of Australia is definitely temperate and not tropical.

Massively variable weather tends to be a spring thing.

Stacks of inner burbs in the East which do all that, just hit realestate.com.au.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Managed to see 3 seasons when there in 2004, lovely sunny then breezy and wet and freezing cold once the sun goes down .

Housing varies very much on where you want to live, the further out you are the further your $$$$ goes. Personally wouldn't bother with a pool, never too far from a public swimming pool and during the winter months you wouldn't want to use your own pool as too cold
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Never ever seen 4 seasons in 1 day.
I have, a couple of years ago at Albert Park, we had no jumper, then jumper on, then jumper on with raincoat becuse of rain. Later raincoat and no jumper.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Managed to see 3 seasons when there in 2004, lovely sunny then breezy and wet and freezing cold once the sun goes down .

Housing varies very much on where you want to live, the further out you are the further your $$$$ goes. Personally wouldn't bother with a pool, never too far from a public swimming pool and during the winter months you wouldn't want to use your own pool as too cold
Good point.

We have about $A400,000 to buy a house. Any area you can recommend? ideally a place that doesn't have a lot snakes
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

We have about $A400,000 to buy a house. Any area you can recommend? ideally a place that doesn't have a lot snakes
Hello sorry my knowledge of Australia isn't extensive.Would also depend on what you're looking for, we don't mind being 30 mins from Beach and don't want to be too close to the city so looking at Werribee or there abouts or maybe over mornington. You'd get a LOT of house for $400,000 in those areas.

Are plenty of members on here who live in all areas of Australia who all have differing opinions on where is nice to live, personally would recommend a visit to get a feel and to find out what's available and how it'd meet your own needs

Oh in Victoria you'll aviod the snakes unless you're very unlucky
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

List your criteria - esp max distance from CBD and beach. Then search those suburbs and surrounds on realestate.com.au and take a look at what you can get for your money. In the East, for your budget, you would probably be looking at a circa 40min-1hr commute to the city.

We had a shortlist of around 8 suburbs/areas and then drove around and investigated further once we were here. You can take recommendations, but I believe you need to check out possible areas when you get here as what someone will love, you may not. We were initially seduced by the cheap new-builds in Cranbourne and Hoppers Crossing/Point Cook - but when we took a look we really didn't like the areas and were shocked at how close the houses were together and how small the plots were(however, many are happy there).

BTW - we're on the edge of the Dandenongs and next to bush and I've yet to see a snake in the two years we've been here.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:38 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
You can take recommendations, but I believe you need to check out possible areas when you get here as what someone will love, you may not.
Very good advice people

We were initially seduced by the cheap new-builds in Cranbourne and Hoppers Crossing/Point Cook - but when we took a look we really didn't like the areas and were shocked at how close the houses were together and how small the plots were.
You saw the light
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Very good advice people

You saw the light
It's funny why we ever considered it really I hated the new developments around Bristol with a passion (though many of my acquaintances lived there quite happily) so why would I suddenly want to live in a similar environment in Australia

Last edited by The Crow; Jan 29th 2008 at 8:14 am.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

Langwarrin

Buzzy
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Langwarrin

Buzzy
If you needed to take the train into the city, which is your nearest station? Didn't realise Langwarrin was over 40km out.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hello sorry my knowledge of Australia isn't extensive.Would also depend on what you're looking for, we don't mind being 30 mins from Beach and don't want to be too close to the city so looking at Werribee or there abouts or maybe over mornington. You'd get a LOT of house for $400,000 in those areas.

Are plenty of members on here who live in all areas of Australia who all have differing opinions on where is nice to live, personally would recommend a visit to get a feel and to find out what's available and how it'd meet your own needs

Oh in Victoria you'll aviod the snakes unless you're very unlucky
"Oh in Victoria you'll aviod the snakes unless you're very unlucky" that is a big plus point for me. great relief!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

List your criteria - esp max distance from CBD and beach. Then search those suburbs and surrounds on realestate.com.au and take a look at what you can get for your money. In the East, for your budget, you would probably be looking at a circa 40min-1hr commute to the city.

We had a shortlist of around 8 suburbs/areas and then drove around and investigated further once we were here. You can take recommendations, but I believe you need to check out possible areas when you get here as what someone will love, you may not. We were initially seduced by the cheap new-builds in Cranbourne and Hoppers Crossing/Point Cook - but when we took a look we really didn't like the areas and were shocked at how close the houses were together and how small the plots were(however, many are happy there).

BTW - we're on the edge of the Dandenongs and next to bush and I've yet to see a snake in the two years we've been here.
Great one, thanks.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:26 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Great one, thanks.
And I'm 10 mins from "The Crow" & been here 8 years, yet to see a snake.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bordy
And I'm 10 mins from "The Crow" & been here 8 years, yet to see a snake.

This is really GREAT NEWS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.