Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 Months in the Sunshine State......

4 Months in the Sunshine State......

Old Mar 4th 2006, 5:39 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Months in the Sunshine State......

Having red Ozzwannabee's thread, i thought i'd post our thoughts after 4 months in the sunshine state.

Having arrived in Nov '05 we have settled for the time being in Redland Bay. We both work, Deb in the city @ Greenslopes and i work in Morningside so we both have a 40 min drive to and from work. Thats the downside to living here, you nearly always have a fair drive to get anywhere.

We are looking to buy our own property, and are looking at Shailer Park and surrounding area, it's closer to the freeway and will save us loads of time. About 20 mins each off our journeys, and you get a lot more for your money there as well.

In general we have found the QLD people to be very pleasant and helpful, but once they get behind the steering wheel of a car :scared: thats a different story.
I am by no means the worlds best driver... but the standard of driving is appalling..... they all turn into raving lunatics..... :scared: We have found that all the road manners you acquire whilst driving in the UK go straight out of the window here...its every man/woman for themself.
I have had some close calls, because i've been watching the gibbering idiot driving so close to me that i could smell his breath, i have nearly rear ended a couple of cars.... so my advice... STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT, AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHATS GOING ON BEHIND YOU.....

Other than that, we can't really think of anything else that we don't enjoy about living here, sure we miss family & friends, but the worlds a small place now, what with email / webcams etc etc..

I have had a couple of days where i felt really down but can't explain why. Definately not missing the UK, i think it's just that for a while you don't feel as though you belong here ( if you know what i mean ) and i've no doubt that we will both have further days like that, but you have to remind yourselves why you went through all the hassle of getting visas in the 1st place.

Good Luck to all waiting for that magic moment, when you get it.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4 Months in the Sunshine State......

Glad to hear someone else is loving it over there.

Shailer Park sounds familiar - is that South Brisbane? What other suburbs are near there? as I am sure that my Sister-in-Law lives somewhere in that area.

Anyway, keep enjoying yourselves,

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Having red Ozzwannabee's thread, i thought i'd post our thoughts after 4 months in the sunshine state.

Having arrived in Nov '05 we have settled for the time being in Redland Bay. We both work, Deb in the city @ Greenslopes and i work in Morningside so we both have a 40 min drive to and from work. Thats the downside to living here, you nearly always have a fair drive to get anywhere.

We are looking to buy our own property, and are looking at Shailer Park and surrounding area, it's closer to the freeway and will save us loads of time. About 20 mins each off our journeys, and you get a lot more for your money there as well.

In general we have found the QLD people to be very pleasant and helpful, but once they get behind the steering wheel of a car :scared: thats a different story.
I am by no means the worlds best driver... but the standard of driving is appalling..... they all turn into raving lunatics..... :scared: We have found that all the road manners you acquire whilst driving in the UK go straight out of the window here...its every man/woman for themself.
I have had some close calls, because i've been watching the gibbering idiot driving so close to me that i could smell his breath, i have nearly rear ended a couple of cars.... so my advice... STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT, AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHATS GOING ON BEHIND YOU.....

Other than that, we can't really think of anything else that we don't enjoy about living here, sure we miss family & friends, but the worlds a small place now, what with email / webcams etc etc..

I have had a couple of days where i felt really down but can't explain why. Definately not missing the UK, i think it's just that for a while you don't feel as though you belong here ( if you know what i mean ) and i've no doubt that we will both have further days like that, but you have to remind yourselves why you went through all the hassle of getting visas in the 1st place.

Another great post! Keep them coming! Glad you have settled well. They won't know whats hit them when I get on the roads out there then!LOL I should blend in nicely with my driving!!!!!
Jox
Old Mar 4th 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

deb&si is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you are living the dream and loving it!
DEB
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Totally agree about the Aussie drivers they are really bad, we have been hear 3mths and that's the only thing we hate about the Aussies they are bad bad drivers.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time to write this, found it to be very interesting

Lisa.x
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:10 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

Yes we've been here for four months too - what is it with the Aussies and driving - they undertake, overtake and generally weave in and out, even in the most appaling weather conditions too.....it can be quite scary and very annoying sometimes. Just be careful on the roads