Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth whoo hoo

4 months in Perth whoo hoo

Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:45 am
Baba jo

the Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant future
Default 4 months in Perth whoo hoo

Hi, not been on in a while, just making the most of a day off to say hi and let you know how we are getting on. My fiance and I arrived in Dec and stayed with relies for 4 weeks, in that time over Xmas we both got jobs and a car and a place to rent. SO easy we thought it was unreal. We were both expecting it to be really hard and very stressfull. As it happens it was very easy it all just fell into place, no stress at all. My fiance didnt like his first job so I mentioned to new friend from work and she got him another with her husband doing double glazing. He's never done it before but didnt bother his new employer. Its all very laid back here and that does take time getting used to, but hey I could do with slowing down a bit. We love getting up at weekend and heading to the beach. We love having the freedom to grab a picnic and head to the park. and it doesnt cost the earth. We have managed to save here too and 2 weeks ago we bought a house and move in July. we wanted to build but got put off with the wait and the worry. relies of ours are camping out as we speak for 5 days to get some land. I just cheated and bought a house with the air con the 4 bedrooms and the pool. Too lazy to build it all from scratch. Finding a mortgage that took us during probationary periods in new jobs was hard but again through a friend we got a fantastic advisor and she got us one with Commonwealth bank who agreed to take us. We wanted to move quick on the market as prices in Perth are shooting through the roof. its taking all our savings but hey ho its a great house and its got all ive ever wanted.
My fiance has experienced home sickness, poor babe. he is only 25 and an only child, the move has been enormous for him but he does love every min here he just misses the familiar things from Scotland and the people. Plus poor soul has all my family to contend with. I on the other hand wake up every morning with a smile knowing I have done the right thing and that the rest of our lives start here. I am so excited about building our life here. I have met a great friend who you would think I knew all my life and whoo hoo bring on the summer again as I will have my new pool to use, ha ha.
Dont think it has all been easy though there has been one huge thing that has brought us both down to earth. The lack of good chinese take aways. I miss so much ordering in the delectable friend rice with perfect chicken with no fat or bones in it and the chicken chow mein. ohhhhhhhh. I cant believe I havent found a place yet that gives you white meat chicken, just brown yukky bits that you wouldnt feed to your dog. But the search goes on, the good side to that though is that ive lost weight ha ha. So theres pros and cons to this story he he. So for all who are thinking of moving go go go. And for those who have, isnt this the life mate.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice
Default Re: 4 months in Perth whoo hoo

we also arrived in Perth in December and love it. You sound so bubbly and excited, it makes me smile . We feel the same way you do. We wake up every day and need to pinch ourselves to believe that this is real. Aren't we just the luckiest people.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:08 am
Baba jo

the Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant future

yes we are sooo lucky. if you know of any good chinese let me know and then I really will be in paradise ha ha.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Have you tried Wok in a Box? I think it is more Thai than Chinese though. There's one in Ellenbrook and also Hillarys Harbour. We had some that was good and another that tasted like cardboard, so it could be luck of the draw.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Oh, just remembered, a local Aussie recommended the Ocean Dragon. We have not tried it yet. It is in the northern suburbs somewhere.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:42 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the Brady gang
Hi, not been on in a while, just making the most of a day off to say hi and let you know how we are getting on. My fiance and I arrived in Dec and stayed with relies for 4 weeks, in that time over Xmas we both got jobs and a car and a place to rent. SO easy we thought it was unreal. We were both expecting it to be really hard and very stressfull. As it happens it was very easy it all just fell into place, no stress at all. My fiance didnt like his first job so I mentioned to new friend from work and she got him another with her husband doing double glazing. He's never done it before but didnt bother his new employer. Its all very laid back here and that does take time getting used to, but hey I could do with slowing down a bit. We love getting up at weekend and heading to the beach. We love having the freedom to grab a picnic and head to the park. and it doesnt cost the earth. We have managed to save here too and 2 weeks ago we bought a house and move in July. we wanted to build but got put off with the wait and the worry. relies of ours are camping out as we speak for 5 days to get some land. I just cheated and bought a house with the air con the 4 bedrooms and the pool. Too lazy to build it all from scratch. Finding a mortgage that took us during probationary periods in new jobs was hard but again through a friend we got a fantastic advisor and she got us one with Commonwealth bank who agreed to take us. We wanted to move quick on the market as prices in Perth are shooting through the roof. its taking all our savings but hey ho its a great house and its got all ive ever wanted.
My fiance has experienced home sickness, poor babe. he is only 25 and an only child, the move has been enormous for him but he does love every min here he just misses the familiar things from Scotland and the people. Plus poor soul has all my family to contend with. I on the other hand wake up every morning with a smile knowing I have done the right thing and that the rest of our lives start here. I am so excited about building our life here. I have met a great friend who you would think I knew all my life and whoo hoo bring on the summer again as I will have my new pool to use, ha ha.
Dont think it has all been easy though there has been one huge thing that has brought us both down to earth. The lack of good chinese take aways. I miss so much ordering in the delectable friend rice with perfect chicken with no fat or bones in it and the chicken chow mein. ohhhhhhhh. I cant believe I havent found a place yet that gives you white meat chicken, just brown yukky bits that you wouldnt feed to your dog. But the search goes on, the good side to that though is that ive lost weight ha ha. So theres pros and cons to this story he he. So for all who are thinking of moving go go go. And for those who have, isnt this the life mate.
Great post and good luck with the rest of your life.

Bummer having no decent Chinese though.....Might have to reconsider the move ourselves now
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:01 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossfive5
Oh, just remembered, a local Aussie recommended the Ocean Dragon. We have not tried it yet. It is in the northern suburbs somewhere.
Hi
Ocean Dragon is just around the corner from us..... though haven't eaten there yet.
Ocean Dragon Chinese Restaurant
33 Westcoast Drv (cnr Elsie St), Watermans
Chinese Restaurant
Tel: 9246-3868

It right above The Wild Fig Cafe which is a great place to eat!

Neil.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

What a uplifting post,hope you find a chinese soon LOL
Jo
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:31 pm
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MJELNC
What a uplifting post,hope you find a chinese soon LOL
Jo
Fantastic post and so glad you are loving it, we will be here 2 years in August
and totally love it also, and I have just found out that my sister and her family have been approved for their visa and will hopefully be here in July. But, I must agree as much as I adore it here, omigod, you cannot get a good Chinese at all, its shocking considering how multi-cultural this country is, I would settle for a good Thai at this stage or Vietnamese, love both cuisines, we have found a good Indian, we live in Innaloo, so the Punjab is good, also is the Indian in the subi markets at the weekend, so is the Buddha bar and Chutney Marys. But c'mon, someone must know a good Chinese!!!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:10 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you're enjoying life in Perth.

There's quite a good place in Morley. It's in the Foodcourt. I don't know the name of it but there's only one Chinese place in there. It's about $7-8 for a meal and they do take-away as well.

There's a South American place in there too. I think called Rosie's Kitchen or sommat like that. They may be Chilean or Peruvian. Nice food.

Fenton
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is Brissie, not Perth, but one of the local guys ordered in Chinese for us while working late on cyclone stuff recently - he raved about this place, really good food, authentic, tastes great....few bits of veg floating in watery brown stuff, and a separate container with stringy meat! Seriously not impressed! But the Aussies thought it was great, never had better. "Fantastic Italian" the next night was tasteless rubber pasta; I used to love italian/Chinese/Morngolian - have to admit it is now all very tasteless and similar. Getting used to it, as I no longer ask The Bloke to take me out for a meal, not worth it, unless you spend a fortune, which we don't have.

My top tip for emigrating? Forget the diet, you will lose pounds just by thinking about the food.

PS - I must be fair though, Pizza Capers do the best Mushroom pizza in the world, and - Possums, just for you.....there is a superb Chinese/Mongolian place in Elizabeth St in Hobart, and Mures for fish down there, on the harbour, can't beat it. Maybe its just a mainland (Big Island) Aus thing about food??

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 25th 2006 at 3:43 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:59 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Hello!

Your post sounds fabulous!

Re:Chinese,not sure where you are but the Sun Hing in Armadale used to be excellent.Not been there for about 5 years though!

When you order you need to specify white meat/breast meat. You can do this in most chinese restaurants in Perth (at loeast you used to be able to do it). They will make this for you and usually have it on their menus, but if you just order (ofr example) Chicken Chow Mein, you will get bits from all over the chicken (including the breast but also the brown meat).

Michelle
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

leewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hello!

Your post sounds fabulous!

Re:Chinese,not sure where you are but the Sun Hing in Armadale used to be excellent.Not been there for about 5 years though!

When you order you need to specify white meat/breast meat. You can do this in most chinese restaurants in Perth (at loeast you used to be able to do it). They will make this for you and usually have it on their menus, but if you just order (ofr example) Chicken Chow Mein, you will get bits from all over the chicken (including the breast but also the brown meat).

Michelle
Hi to all you lucky people in Perth i am a refrigeration / air conditioning engineer we want to move to perth and have just started our application is anyone out there able to look through local press and if poss let me know the job prospects for my trade as this is the only concern i have as there seems a lot more in brisbane online. cheers Lee.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:22 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

My god a positive post from Perth, where's kiwichild
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:15 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
My god a positive post from Perth, where's kiwichild
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Margaret lets not spoil it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.