Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 months in Oz as an Electrician

4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:46 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Re: 4 months in Oz as an Electrician

To all the sparkies cumin to perth, make sure you have something which states you have a NVQ level 2/3 electrical installation on it or you will be sending all the same paperwork back to the TRA as i have had to. if you have got something with this on plus some references and a J.I.B (does help a bit)card you may be able to go straight to the WA energy board, but he did say they are tryin to get out of doing this in the future, thus sending all your quals and refs back to the TRA AGAIN. oh plus 100 dollars lol.
will let you know how i get on as i am a maintenance spark but have 7671 + testing and inspection, have gone for the elec/ mech option myself.

Has anyone had any joy getting a trades assistant job in perth or have any idea who best to try as i better start getting some money in lol. If not will have to try callin out the paper on the off chance of some work.

ATB

andy
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1974
To all the sparkies cumin to perth, make sure you have something which states you have a NVQ level 2/3 electrical installation on it or you will be sending all the same paperwork back to the TRA as i have had to. if you have got something with this on plus some references and a J.I.B (does help a bit)card you may be able to go straight to the WA energy board, but he did say they are tryin to get out of doing this in the future, thus sending all your quals and refs back to the TRA AGAIN. oh plus 100 dollars lol.
will let you know how i get on as i am a maintenance spark but have 7671 + testing and inspection, have gone for the elec/ mech option myself.

Has anyone had any joy getting a trades assistant job in perth or have any idea who best to try as i better start getting some money in lol. If not will have to try callin out the paper on the off chance of some work.

ATB

andy
Hiya there Woody,
You say you have gone for the elctrical mechanic route, did they query you in any way, or try to say you were an electrical fitter? Personally i'm going for the mechanic route myself when i get there (next year) and was curious as to whether the TRA tell you which trade you are accepted for, or is it your own decision (i have 7671, inspect and test, NVQ3 elec maintenance etc.) With regards to the trades assistant work, it has been mentioned before that trade counters (CEF equivalent and the like) normally know when tradesmen need extra help-try them. Oh, sent you a pm as well.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

marcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi Richard your spot on mate

further to your information given in last nights posts re the ARTC application i emailed the TRA for confirmation
( as i have recentley been given completely different answers from the two employees of the TRA re an electrical licence application )

they have replied straight back as follows

Sent: Friday, 31 March 2006 9:56
To: LTC - VIC
Subject: ARTC inquiry

Dear Sir/ Madam

Can you please advise me regarding an application for an ARTC ?
Having read the information provided by your website in regards to a application can you tell me if the following is still correct
( as I’ve been told its out of date an no longer applies )

1. Previous Applications
If you have been previously assessed by TRA, either for migration purposes of by another TRA office it is important that you complete these boxes as appropriate. If you have been previously assessed by TRA it may fast track the processing of your case. If have been previously assessed by TRA for migration purposes you should tick YES in question 'A' and complete sections 2, 3, 4 and 12 only (if you have had additional employment since lodging your TRA application prior to migrating, you MUST include these employment details in Section 9). If you tick NO you must complete all remaining sections of the form, where applicable.

I assume from the above that as I have already been assessed as a general electrician by the TRA for migration purposes that I only have to fill in sections A 2,3,4 and 12. The reason I ask is that this is contrary to what I am been told via the immigration forum of which I am a member
( i`m trying to find out as much as possible so that I can start working as soon as possible )

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards

Steve XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your recent enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).
The information is out of date and should be updated shortly. You will need to complete ALL sections of the application.
Please note : All replies MUST be sent to [email protected] if you require the matter to be actioned.
Thank you
TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA
Victorian State Office

so straight from ththe horses mouth as it were
get all your info up to date and re-due the application in full

regards Steve_
SteveO - this is absolutely insane, having to go through all that again. I thought they needed decent sparks in Oz as a priority - so why the F**k make it a ball ache to get the required licence to work once you have the TRA passed and get the visa - absolutely P****d off with it all but still going out on Wednesday 26th April 2006.

not that i'm complaining or anything.

i have already completed the ARTC form to hand in once i get over to
OZ but only completed sectons 2,3,4 and 12 !!

i am going to play it by ear on what ineed to do on landing but i fear the worst!!! i cant think of any more expletives to describe my feeling on this so enough said.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 2:10 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbolam
SteveO - this is absolutely insane, having to go through all that again. I thought they needed decent sparks in Oz as a priority - so why the F**k make it a ball ache to get the required licence to work once you have the TRA passed and get the visa - absolutely P****d off with it all but still going out on Wednesday 26th April 2006.

not that i'm complaining or anything.

i have already completed the ARTC form to hand in once i get over to
OZ but only completed sectons 2,3,4 and 12 !!

i am going to play it by ear on what ineed to do on landing but i fear the worst!!! i cant think of any more expletives to describe my feeling on this so enough said.
Hi marc not heard from you in a while mate
so your off shortley you lucky bastard
where too?

re ARTC the ony way i can see around it is to go to perth get your A class licence then go where you want ( most states qld inc ) have a recipicle agreement allowing sparkies with a license to work for up to five years before they have to get the proper state approved version

either way like you say its a load of bollocks

o and you will have to fill the whole of the form in along with refernces copy of certs etc for the artc ( deja vous )

regards steve
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi marc not heard from you in a while mate
so your off shortley you lucky bastard
where too?

re ARTC the ony way i can see around it is to go to perth get your A class licence then go where you want ( most states qld inc ) have a recipicle agreement allowing sparkies with a license to work for up to five years before they have to get the proper state approved version

either way like you say its a load of bollocks

o and you will have to fill the whole of the form in along with refernces copy of certs etc for the artc ( deja vous )

regards steve
Steve,

We will be taking an up to date reference from Gareth's employers, so do you know if this one has to be as detailed as the last?

He hasn't changed jobs since we applied for the TRA, so do you think a basic one stating that nothings changed will do. Or should I get his boss to just re-print the last one with a recent date?

I'm thinking of the latter, but am undecided.

Ta hun
Wendy
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Steve,

We will be taking an up to date reference from Gareth's employers, so do you know if this one has to be as detailed as the last?

He hasn't changed jobs since we applied for the TRA, so do you think a basic one stating that nothings changed will do. Or should I get his boss to just re-print the last one with a recent date?

I'm thinking of the latter, but am undecided.

Ta hun
Wendy
personally i`d go with as much detail as possible wends
Ive just re written mine in line with the generic duties of a trades person in Aus ( taken straight from the ARTC website ) i`ll get it signed just before we go

regards Steve

PS has he seen the lets exam paper and if so how did he fair ???
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

personally i`d go with as much detail as possible wends
Ive just re written mine in line with the generic duties of a trades person in Aus ( taken straight from the ARTC website ) i`ll get it signed just before we go

regards Steve

PS has he seen the lets exam paper and if so how did he fair ???

Not yet. He's been working and we needed some ink for the printer. I'm going to print it off for him to take to work tomorrow. I'll let you know how he goes with it.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Dont know if this will help anyone,but here goes.
we were in the TRA office in Melbourne last week speaking with an officer.He told us that the TRA we had already received from cambera was solely for immigration only.And that they are not even marked of by trades men,they follow a sheet.He gave us the new form to fill in and post back once we were living in oz with an oz address.The official TRA at Melbourne is marked of by full trades men, so in most cases you can get a better grade ing.He told us that they MOSTLY go of experience,and providing the form is correctly filed in they are now taking 6 weeks.In( which time you can also go and sit relevant exams at peer point (2 weeks full time). to get your licence to work for a company.My Hubby purchased all relevant wiring rules books etc,of which he says is very easy to follow, they also showed him an example test sheet.which he says providing you are a spark is nothing more than an basic knowledge routine test.AN unrestricted licence is a multi choice test.this allows you to work as an electrician for a company.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paka
Dont know if this will help anyone,but here goes.
we were in the TRA office in Melbourne last week speaking with an officer.He told us that the TRA we had already received from cambera was solely for immigration only.And that they are not even marked of by trades men,they follow a sheet.He gave us the new form to fill in and post back once we were living in oz with an oz address.The official TRA at Melbourne is marked of by full trades men, so in most cases you can get a better grade ing.He told us that they MOSTLY go of experience,and providing the form is correctly filed in they are now taking 6 weeks.In( which time you can also go and sit relevant exams at peer point (2 weeks full time). to get your licence to work for a company.My Hubby purchased all relevant wiring rules books etc,of which he says is very easy to follow, they also showed him an example test sheet.which he says providing you are a spark is nothing more than an basic knowledge routine test.AN unrestricted licence is a multi choice test.this allows you to work as an electrician for a company.

Very helpful, Thankyou
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Very helpful, Thankyou
Thankyou. what part of oz are you going too.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thankyou. what part of oz are you going too.

Adelaide. I've been reading up on it all a bit this afternoon. I think I'm just about getting to grips with it all.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Adelaide. I've been reading up on it all a bit this afternoon. I think I'm just about getting to grips with it all.
We are going there . I was there last week for 8 days and last yr for 2weeks.
We having been looking at jobs,houses,mortgages,cars.etc.we met friends last sept,who's hubby is also a spark ,when we met up this time they are completely settled and loving it.they had just bought a beautiful tree lined drive, 4 bed bungalow in the Adelaide hills.can't wait to get there.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are going there . I was there last week for 8 days and last yr for 2weeks.
We having been looking at jobs,houses,mortgages,cars.etc.we met friends last sept,who's hubby is also a spark ,when we met up this time they are completely settled and loving it.they had just bought a beautiful tree lined drive, 4 bed bungalow in the Adelaide hills.can't wait to get there.

I have an aunt there, she lives in Mawson Lakes. she has sent me all sorts of stuff about Adelaide, and I too can't wait to get there.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have an aunt there, she lives in Mawson Lakes. she has sent me all sorts of stuff about Adelaide, and I too can't wait to get there.
We looked at a couple of houses there,although we didnt like the junior school,but loved the area.The newness of it all.We are set on greenwith,as they seemed to have a few good rental homes to start with.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We looked at a couple of houses there,although we didnt like the junior school,but loved the area.The newness of it all.We are set on greenwith,as they seemed to have a few good rental homes to start with.
I'm not sure where we will end up just yet, it depends on a lot of things, so we will see.

Good luck with your move, I may bump into you at some time in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.