Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 months in Oz as an Electrician

4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Good to see that although you had to jump through hoops, you're still positive.

Badge
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sion
Oh my god This looks like a nightmare

I have just passed the TRA bit as an electrician special class for the immigration part , however I have just got my degree in building services engineering (AGED 34) I was hoping to get a job within facilities management or maintenance engineering, do i still need to go through all this c**p if I want to be a manager or similair in an electrical / instrument background ?

any info would be great

Sion
Not sure....but will try to find out for you by asking around...will let you know if I have success in next few days.
Elly
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if applying to the NSW vocational training tribunal would be the same as the TRA?

We got sent the forms from a job agency in Sydney and also forms to get your licence transfered over.

We are confused as to what to fill in.

It says on the form "if your trade skills are recognised by the VTT, you will be issued with a trade certificate that is accepted throughout Australia. Recognition in this way is supported by the commonwealth and state goverments, employers and unions "

Getting worried now as we would like to get as much sorted as soon as we can. We leave next month.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Sorry don't know. I can't help! Muddling our way through ourselves, so only really know about electricians. Why don't you start a thread asking this question. I am sure there are others out there who could help you. Good luck and have a good life in Oz!
Elly
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richard-elly
Sorry don't know. I can't help! Muddling our way through ourselves, so only really know about electricians. Why don't you start a thread asking this question. I am sure there are others out there who could help you. Good luck and have a good life in Oz!
Elly

Cheers. OH is an electrician but we are getting all confused

Good luck to you, hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:53 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve`o
thanks for the info mate
can you give us some more info re licence application etc how long did each bit take what kind of money are you looking at as a trade assistant untill you sort it out

regards steve

Trades assistant money i was on $18 an hour which is pants.Im currently on $28 but once ive got my contractors licence its $60 domestic,$70 commercial and $80 industrial(this is what we were told to charge by our lecturer)obviously this includes overheads etc.
To get my electrical mechanics licence took me 6 months, and i did it open book where i got all the info provided and when i thought i knew it i did a practical and a written exam.
Its worth it in the long run(especially if youre coming to brissie(dont know what other states are like for jobs))because there is so much work around and brisbane is expanding at an alarming rate with NO trades people.
Darren
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

oakyyy will become famous soon enoughoakyyy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fraser
What a positive post, Anglesea is lovely and wouldn't mind living there at all.
frazer,

hi mate my name is paul,

someone on here mentioned that you are a plumber or gas fitter, what i am after is some information if thats at all possible. i am a time served corgi registered plumber/gasfitter but didn't finish my last 2 months of college. my grandfather who is currently in perth went along to the trade assessment board to see how i go about obtaining my license to work. he flately said that i haven't got a chance in hell of obtaining a license without my city and guilds. after going through the procedure of the tra and then to be told i will not be allowed to work in oz has left me a bit bewildered. i used an agent to avoid any unnecessary hassle of not having any qualificatons and it was passed and now this. any information you could give me would be really appreciated as i am a bit lost on where to go now.

best regards
paul
Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:09 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

So here we are 4 months down the line. And what an experience it has all been. It feels like we are the only english family who didn't emigrate to Brisbane, Perth or the Mornington Penninsula! I'm sure that is not true but it sure feels like it. We moved to Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. It was for a total life change. English life was full of indoor activities for the kids and Richard working a 14 hour day, 6 days a week.

hi there elly/richard also an elecy but in WA, only been here a week and didn't go the tra way, i went straight to the energy safety board office in perth and applied there. have been informed that the two are basicly the same and they will grade if i need to do the college or just the exam.
have found one thing though, the jib card doesn't get ur licence straight away but it does help a great deal as i was informed at the wa energy board. i think her words were now thats good i'll photo copy that, they didn't even photo copy all my quals but as mentioned get references before you leave esp your last company as close to the leaving date as poss any way now for the wait as they only meet once every two weeks lol and they are desperate for sparkies lol.

watch channel 9 in WA tomoz at 6.30 as and my mate were interviewed about aussie workers being lazy lol and goin on the dole lol.
some curent affairs show also got my mates wife being filmed being interview for some of the vacant jobs in perth lol

ATB

andy

prob end up on the editors floor lol
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Ok guys......just got a letter from the TRA office. This is what it says....

Thankyou for your recent application for a TRA Certificate. Your application has already undergone a preliminary assessment and it has been decided to offer you a technical interview to assist us in determining your level of trade skills and knowledge. The technical interview is expected to take approx 1 1/2 hrs and will include a written test paper. Interview is this monday10th April. Wish us luck. Will klet you know how it all goes!!
Elly
Old Apr 5th 2006, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys......just got a letter from the TRA office. This is what it says....

Thankyou for your recent application for a TRA Certificate. Your application has already undergone a preliminary assessment and it has been decided to offer you a technical interview to assist us in determining your level of trade skills and knowledge. The technical interview is expected to take approx 1 1/2 hrs and will include a written test paper. Interview is this monday10th April. Wish us luck. Will klet you know how it all goes!!
Elly
Good luck mate...get some revision done :scared: Is the following any use to you?

The Licensing Office of EnergySafety WA maintains a database of licensed electrical and gas operatives and ensures that the information is accurate and confidential, protecting operatives against the possible fraudulent use of their name.

Applicants for an electrical or gas worker’s licence in Western Australia must prove their identity.

This fact sheet explains the requirements for an applicant to prove his or her identity.

Before an electrical or gas worker’s will be issued, applicants for an electrical or gas worker’s licence must prove their identity by presenting one form of primary identification and one form of secondary identification from the following lists.

The documentation provided may be a photocopy of the original document. At least one document provided must show the signature of the applicant.

Primary Identification Documents:

• birth certificate
• current overseas passport
• Australian passport (expired not more than two years)
• photographic driver's licence (expired not more than 12 months)
• Western Australian proof of age card (not “18+ card”)
• Australian citizenship papers
• visa or immigration document
• Australian document of identity (expired not more than two years)

Secondary Identification Documents:

• certificate of accomplishment from a recognised educational institution (or letter not more than 12 months old from the principal of such an institution)
• current bank, building society or credit union card, passbook or statement (not more than 12 months old)
• electoral enrolment card or other evidence of enrolment (not more than two years old)
• current entitlement card issued by a State or Federal Government Department eg Medicare card
• telephone, gas or electricity account (not more than two years old)
• land valuation notice (not more than two years old)
• water or local rate notice (not more than two years old)
• current licence or identity card issued by a government organisation (not a student identification card)
• Armed Services identification or discharge papers (not more than 12 months
Taken from EnergySafety email attachment.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh Wow what an excellent thread, Please Please keep it updated when you get more info, Just going through the process of TRA and hoping to move to Perth as an electrician, Im not happy about the thought of going through it all again, Just recently got my JIB card, and glad to hear that helps. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a job as a trade assistant, as I will pretty much need work straight away.
And is there anything us Sparks can do here in England, is there any books worth buying to swat up for the exams when we get there.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
Oh Wow what an excellent thread, Please Please keep it updated when you get more info, Just going through the process of TRA and hoping to move to Perth as an electrician, Im not happy about the thought of going through it all again, Just recently got my JIB card, and glad to hear that helps. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a job as a trade assistant, as I will pretty much need work straight away.
And is there anything us Sparks can do here in England, is there any books worth buying to swat up for the exams when we get there.
Hello Darren

I'm in Vic and have found it easy to find work as a trades assistant, I had to get an ABN so that I could work as a subbie. An accountant got this for me in a couple of days.

The wages I'm getting are $22 + GST an hour don't yet know what the rates are for a sparks.

I have borrowed a copy of Australian/New Zealand standard wiring rules[ISBN 0 7337 2934 7].
Its an on site guide type book, will have to do some revision its been a while since I took my exams!!

Richard
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:05 pm
Barbie chef extrordinaire

PhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the rough

Just found this thread after being refused my electrical mechanics licence from the commitee. I did a 4 year apprentiship and have been in the trade since 1992 but because im an industrial electrician working on robots, PLC's and factory plant and not pulling cables and putting in sockets im not qualified enough. They have told me i can have a electrical fitters licence, and will either spend 12 months working for somone house wiring, then reapply, or sit a trade test. Ive chosen the trade test, if i fail then i still get the fitters licence so i only lose 270 bucks, bloody goverment, they are screaming out for sparkys yet when you get here they make it almost impossible to get a licence.

Has anybody done one of these trade tests, if so whats involved?? :scared:
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhillN01
Just found this thread after being refused my electrical mechanics licence from the commitee. I did a 4 year apprentiship and have been in the trade since 1992 but because im an industrial electrician working on robots, PLC's and factory plant and not pulling cables and putting in sockets im not qualified enough. They have told me i can have a electrical fitters licence, and will either spend 12 months working for somone house wiring, then reapply, or sit a trade test. Ive chosen the trade test, if i fail then i still get the fitters licence so i only lose 270 bucks, bloody goverment, they are screaming out for sparkys yet when you get here they make it almost impossible to get a licence.

ask and you shall receive sir
Attached Files
File Type: doc
LET Sample Exam.doc (503.0 KB, 463 views)
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of
Question Re: 4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Originally Posted by PhillN01

I am hoping to go to perth and will be in the same boat as you as I am a maintenace electrician also. i have also got A degree in building services.

Do you think it will be easy to get a job just with the fitters licence ?
to be perfectly honest I dont want a job doing installation work Just a job within maintenance would suit me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.