4 months in Oz as an Electrician

4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

ThomasandLynsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Originally Posted by richard-elly
Hello Michelle,
Glad to know we are not alone. We are in the same boat in that we want our savings to buy a house and not to dwindle away on just surviving, so we just went out and bought a house!!!! AAghhh. We move in on June 5th when our mortgage payments will start. So Richard needs to get his licence before this date so he can increase his earnings from temporary labourer to qualified electrician!! Then we can afford to pay the mortgage! The race is on!! How crazy are we? It's just that we started to look casually at houses, to get familiar with aussie houses..... and this one came up .....what can I say.....it was lovely......and we did not want to miss the opportunity.... We have also been accepted for the first time home buyers grant. Even though we owned a house in England it is the first time we have bought one in this country. You have to have a permanent visa though. We got $10,000. No paying it back either!! Wish us luck!
Congratulations on buying your house! Where have you relocated to because the first time buyers grant sounds great!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasandLynsey
Congratulations on buying your house! Where have you relocated to because the first time buyers grant sounds great!
You get a grant for your first home from every state I think. If I can find the website I'll post it for you
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
You get a grant for your first home from every state I think. If I can find the website I'll post it for you
Here you go. Just pick the state you are going to http://www.smh.com.au/business/money...rty/grant.html
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 4 months in Oz as an Electrician

Originally Posted by richard-elly
So here we are 4 months down the line. And what an experience it has all been. It feels like we are the only english family who didn't emigrate to Brisbane, Perth or the Mornington Penninsula! I'm sure that is not true but it sure feels like it. We moved to Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. It was for a total life change. English life was full of indoor activities for the kids and Richard working a 14 hour day, 6 days a week.

Having never been to Australia before we picked Anglesea out of pure luck and have never regretted it. Our home for the first 3 weeks was on the Big 4 caravan park. They were amazing people who made us feel so welcome. We had those 3 weeks to find rented accomodation which was not easy as it was the start of the tourist season and all places had been let out. But luckily again we found one. It's a complete mess but nothing that a bit of elbow grease and paint couldn't fix. Those first 3 weeks were spent buying cars, getting tax numbers, getting driving licences, opening bank accounts! Basically getting a life again!

Richard is an electrician by trade and applying for his "licence to trade" is where all the trouble started! Boy were we unprepared for the saga that follows! In England we had all his qualifications transferred over to australian recognised qualifications. Then on arrival, we did nothing about his work for the first month, just concentrated on the above stuff. Then we inquired about how we get his licence. Richard was self employed, running his own successful business in England, but here that means nothing! Here he has to prove he is an electrician by the following process. First he needs to get a TRA certificate. We foolishly thought that the one we got in England whilst going through the emigration fiasco was the one they need. It's not! This TRA certificate we were told is for emigration purposes only and can not be used again! So we needed to apply for another one exactly the same, with exactly the same information, ie references etc. We thought this was stupid as we had already done it all so we got onto our local MP, who was just brilliant and got his secretary to look into it for us. Unfortunately, though he thought it was stupid himself, he said there was nothing he could do about it. So it took us another 6 weeks writing to people in England begging them to send us new references. It took this long because basically people are not interested and can't be bothered. Also we stupidly left all Richards Tax books from his business at his mums house thinking we would not need them. Eventually his mum posted them to us, as we needed to prove that he had been self employed. So we filled out the forms and sent it all off. The man we spoke to at the TRA office told us not to hold our breath as the committee only meet up once a month to view all applications for TRA certificates.....and we had just missed a meeting!!!! So this is the stage we are at. We are still waiting now for that meeting.

Once we get the TRA certificate we can then apply for a Class E licence. Which means Richard can work as a qualified electrician for another company. To be self employed, in other words to get his Class A licence, we have been told we would then need to do a 4 month college course with exam. AAagh!!
Just as well we had savings otherwise we would be stuffed. Luckily, in the mean time, Richard has been working as a "labourer" for an electrician on labourers wages, which is at least something. Every building site he has been onto people have said that they are desperate for electricians and that he should have no trouble finding work....once he gets his licence!!

All in all, we know that by the end of this year it will all be sorted. We came out here expecting the first 12 months to be difficult and because of that attitude none of this has been stressful. Richards working day is Mon - Fri 7:30 to 4pm, then he goes surfing! Not bad eh! It all comes out in the wash, eventually.
What have I learned from all of this? That there are things you have no control over or didn't anticipate. So instead of stressing about it or beating myself up for not having done better research, I just adopted the attitude of, "Oh well, we'll get there." Would I go back to england? No way! Life here is brilliant. I walk the dog on the beach every night, I body surf with the kids, we do outdoor activities.....The biggest thing we are learning is to be as laid back as the Aussies. No more English tight, stressed, stiff upper lip for me. We just go with the flow. Perfect.
Congratulations! Great stuff!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ThomasandLynsey
Bought house is in Anglesea Victoria as well...on the Great Ocean Road.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katep
My partner is an electrician, but doesn't really look into these things, so I found your post very helpful, thanks.

Do you have to have all the same information that you provided for first TRA? Do all the references have be within a certain date i.e no older than 12 months?

How did you change over the English qualitfications to Australian recognised qualifications?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure that if possible we can take everything with us.

Kate
TRA certificate application files in pdf format
the word doc is taken from BE and its a good guide to getting the spark's licence etc

I`ve got to do all this myself later this year so your personal experiences are very welcome and informative

please keep in touch and let us know how you get one

hope it all goes well for you guys
regards Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRA contact sheet.pdf (14.2 KB, 258 views)
File Type: doc
planes info focus.doc (60.5 KB, 105 views)
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
the word doc is taken from BE and its a good guide to getting the spark's licence etc

I`ve got to do all this myself later this year so your personal experiences are very welcome and informative

regards Steve
Hi again Steve - will keep you posted on our TRA escapades.... The ironic this is that you have to ring TRA to ask them to send you a form in the post, you can't download it - the only one online is a sample and you can't use that. It took them almost a week to send us ours - I had everything ready, just waiting on the form - what a waste of a week. They said that as John had been assessed back in Oct 2003, he would have to fill in everything again and include up-to-date refs. Luckily, he was still with the same job and we got a ref in 2005 for DIMIA and then got a ref from him before we left, so hopefully they'll be happy with. The next meet is the 14th April and we don't get in for that, the committee don't meet again until the 14th May. I sent it off yesterday by express next day signed for, etc., etc. So we'll see. We're hoping John can get a job as a labourer to an electrician until all the paperwork is sorted. Nightmare. What stage are you at Steve? Michelle x
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hi again Steve - will keep you posted on our TRA escapades.... The ironic this is that you have to ring TRA to ask them to send you a form in the post, you can't download it - the only one online is a sample and you can't use that. It took them almost a week to send us ours - I had everything ready, just waiting on the form - what a waste of a week. They said that as John had been assessed back in Oct 2003, he would have to fill in everything again and include up-to-date refs. Luckily, he was still with the same job and we got a ref in 2005 for DIMIA and then got a ref from him before we left, so hopefully they'll be happy with. The next meet is the 14th April and we don't get in for that, the committee don't meet again until the 14th May. I sent it off yesterday by express next day signed for, etc., etc. So we'll see. We're hoping John can get a job as a labourer to an electrician until all the paperwork is sorted. Nightmare. What stage are you at Steve? Michelle x
got the visa 4th Feb
currently in the process of selling business ( NIC registered contractor )
and property ( our house goes on sale this week )
that and what seems like a million other things
sorting out pensions etc ( nightmare )

in regards to ARTC is it because you had your original TRA assessment in 03 that the following doesn't apply

Taken from ARTC application guide

Previous Applications
If you have been previously assessed by TRA, either for migration purposes of by another TRA office it is important that you complete these boxes as appropriate. If you have been previously assessed by TRA it may fast track the processing of your case. If have been previously assessed by TRA for migration purposes you should tick YES in question 'A' and complete sections 2, 3, 4 and 12 only (if you have had additional employment since lodging your TRA application prior to migrating, you MUST include these employment details in Section 9). If you tick NO you must complete all remaining sections of the form, where applicable.

an insight to this would be helpful as i assumed that having been assessed once that i would be fast tracked as per above

??? please advise

regards Steve
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:02 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

What a positive post, Anglesea is lovely and wouldn't mind living there at all.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

regards Steve
Having just quickly scanned through the forms, am I right in saying:

If you have had skills assessed previously by the TRA for migration purposes you need only fill in sections 2,3,4 and 12. They then can check back on the file they have on you and possibly fast track you.

Regards

Bosshogg
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:10 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Having just quickly scanned through the forms, am I right in saying:

If you have had skills assessed previously by the TRA for migration purposes you need only fill in sections 2,3,4 and 12. They then can check back on the file they have on you and possibly fast track you.

Regards

Bosshogg

thats the way i understand it mate but it seems from an earlier post that if its been a while ( dont know how long the limit is ) that you have to apply in full as it were

awaiting confirmation from all you sparkies now in Aus
help needed on this one guys

regards Steve
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

thats the way i understand it mate but it seems from an earlier post that if its been a while ( dont know how long the limit is ) that you have to apply in full as it were

regards Steve
Cheers Steve

Just noticed you've already stated this fact. Yes would be interesting to find out exactly what the score is. I am a motor mechanic which I believe you also need a licence for.

Licence for wielding a hammer, whatever next!?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

regards Steve
Richard has just told me this. In January he too thought that you only basically had to put in your name and address, because they have all the other information already from immigration purposes. We were told on 3 accounts this is not the case. You have to fill out the whole form. Richard rang TRA who told him the website was out of date and it may have been true 3 years ago, but today you have to fill the whole form. Our local MP who looked into it....his secretary told us the same...that the website was out of date and we had to fill the whole form. Our accountant looked into for us as well....guess what!....You got it...we have to fill out the whole form because the website is out of date. So we did funny enough
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=richard-elly]Richard has just told me this. In January he too thought that you only basically had to put in your name and address, because they have all the other information already from immigration purposes. We were told on 3 accounts this is not the case. You have to fill out the whole form. Richard rang TRA who told him the website was out of date and it may have been true 3 years ago, but today you have to fill the whole form. Our local MP who looked into it....his secretary told us the same...that the website was out of date and we had to fill the whole form. Our accountant looked into for us as well....guess what!....You got it...we have to fill out the whole form because the website is out of date. So we did funny enough [/QUOTE

Just our luck. So what's the best advice? Get up to date references before we leave the UK?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

YES!!!!

Gather as much info about who you are, what you do, qualifications, references etc.. Get people to give detailed descriptions of your work....the details are really important....the stronger your case the better. I'm not sure about being fast tracked....will let you know when we get assessed in April. Because we had to gather all our info again, people in England were not interested in us any more. All the companies who sang Richards praises when we were leaving...one company begging him not to go....now can't be bothered to do a 1 page reference...let alone a detailed one describing the jobs he's done. Out of sight...out of mind. It took over 6 weeks to gather it all again and then it was not as good as the first time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.