British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   4 hours in Hong Kong, what can we do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/4-hours-hong-kong-what-can-we-do-339477/)

leedslad Nov 25th 2005 2:12 pm

4 hours in Hong Kong, what can we do?

We're landing in Hong Kong on the way to Perth on the 5th Dec, and have four hours to kill between flights.

The STA Travel agent told us we could get a taxi tour into the city for £50, but i'm worried something may go wrong and we'll miss the connecting flight.

Has anyone done anything similar? or would you just wait in the airport?

Thanks for any advice.

cranni Nov 25th 2005 2:28 pm

Re: 4 hours in Hong Kong, what can we do?

Originally Posted by leedslad
We're landing in Hong Kong on the way to Perth on the 5th Dec, and have four hours to kill between flights.

The STA Travel agent told us we could get a taxi tour into the city for £50, but i'm worried something may go wrong and we'll miss the connecting flight.

Thanks for any advice.

By the time you have looked at the shops and had a drink time will fly[oops]. There is an executive lounge where you can get showered, use internet and have drinks. My son uses when he comes over. And its really cheap. I would not bother leaving the airport,

OzTennis Nov 25th 2005 2:34 pm

If you go out of the airport you will need massage on your neck and mouth because you will be looking up, open mouthed all the time. :D

Seriously, new HK airport is one of the world's best and there is plenty to do at the airport. If it is like Singapore they will put on the bus for a city tour (less risk of things going wrong) but in Singapore's case anyway they require a minimum of 5 hours transit time from memory. Worth looking at the airport website for ideas such as this.

OzTennis :)

leedslad Nov 26th 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks guys

I'll look at the website and see what i can find. Can't wait now!

Thanks again

hutchy59 Nov 26th 2005 5:39 pm

You could go for a take away

Lord Lionheart Nov 26th 2005 5:47 pm

Thanks for any advice.

4 hours is too short in my opinion, by the time you go somewhere it is time to go back. You can easily kill 4 hours with the shopping and stuff in the airport. Flying in and out of Hong Kong airport is spectacular, you kind of fly between the mountains and skyscrapers, have your camera ready.

glittababe Nov 26th 2005 5:48 pm

Thanks for any advice.

my kids slept on the departure lounge floor for 4 hrs

Pollyana Nov 27th 2005 1:30 am

Very large airport - can take you half and hour to get orientated to find the next departure gate if its at the other end (This was with Cathay) There is a superb bar called the Champions Bar - the end near gtae 1, I think, takes £ notes for drinks, or cards, so no need to have local cash. Fab Disnet shop amongst others at the same end of the airport.
I'd agree 4 hours probably isn't long enough to leave the airport - 6-7 hours would be better.

Ialibu Nov 27th 2005 3:45 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
4 hours is too short in my opinion, by the time you go somewhere it is time to go back. You can easily kill 4 hours with the shopping and stuff in the airport. Flying in and out of Hong Kong airport is spectacular, you kind of fly between the mountains and skyscrapers, have your camera ready.

Not not more, you don't. They shifted out to Chep lok lap (or something like that) a couple of years ago onto a piece of reclaimed land about 30 - 40 minutes by train from HK. Although, if its a clear day and they circle HK inbound that looks very scenic

For 4 hours you can either sit in the transit lounge and get plastered or catch the train into HK walk around and catch the train back to the airport. 12 months ago the train fare was HKD90 and the station was located straight out of the Arrivals terminal. Get to HK and catch the Star ferry across to Kowloon and back, its got to be one of the best tourist trips on the planet. At this time of the year it is very hazy.

Also be aware that they have heat sensors along the inbound pax causeway. Its a hangover from the SARS days but with ABF lurking in the background (and the extremely close background in the case of HK) one of the symptoms of ABF is a raised temp. And it shows up on the scanners and the HK people keep a sharp eye on those scanners.

Its a straight walk off the aircraft through Immigration then Customs then you're out. Its all one level and designed to get the masses through fast. As opposed to the Chinese side of the HK/Shenzhen border crossing. But that's another story.

Duty free outbound from HK is a lot better value than DF inbound @ Perth.