Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 days until leaving people behind

4 days until leaving people behind

Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default 4 days until leaving people behind

4 days to go. I've read many threads on here about how hard it is to leave your friends and family behind, but I never thought it'd effect me much - how naive was I!

I keep going through a range of emotions, and I think that leaving people behind is one of the hardest things in the world.

Is there some magic way to make it easier? I keep telling myself that I'm only going to try it out, and I always come back, but I still know if I want to stay I won't be able to see them much.

I need to wait for my next hit of excitement lol
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 days until leaving people behind

Hi there.

I have only been here for 4 months and your post is exactly how I felt and most on here also felt. Like you I told myself I am only trying it out. I think it does help to "leave" the U.K as the whole process is draining and can drag on. From first applying for a visa to getting a visa it was about 2 years and then we still had to make the move. In that time we all change as people and I was just glad to go not because I hated the U.K.

When you get on the plane it will close the "goodbye" chapter and you can look forward. All the best it is not nice IMO but you are nearly there and enjoy your last few days, James
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xzibit
4 days to go. I've read many threads on here about how hard it is to leave your friends and family behind, but I never thought it'd effect me much - how naive was I!

I keep going through a range of emotions, and I think that leaving people behind is one of the hardest things in the world.

Is there some magic way to make it easier? I keep telling myself that I'm only going to try it out, and I always come back, but I still know if I want to stay I won't be able to see them much.

It is so hard leaving behind the people you love, but they will stil be there when you go back and they can even visit you.
Just think of the exciting times you have ahead of you.
Don't forget to pack your sun cream its getting slightly warmer.
Jacqui
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:44 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

didn't realise you were gonna be out so soon xzibit.
it's not easy leaving I was in floods of tears once I went airside at manchester but a month on things are getting a bit easier the modern tech helps being able to speak to and see loved ones back in the uk on skype helps a lot. think christmas day will be a hard one though
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies.

I tell you, most of the trouble and emotion is about one person. I tried so so hard to try and not fall for this girl over the past 6 months, and then what happens just before I leave the country.

But I think I'm going to have tears at the airport. As s/nurse says, I just have to think of the times ahead. And it's not the end of the world, and it's not necessary goodbye forever.

Doesn't make it any easier though.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies.

I tell you, most of the trouble and emotion is about one person. I tried so so hard to try and not fall for this girl over the past 6 months, and then what happens just before I leave the country.

But I think I'm going to have tears at the airport. As s/nurse says, I just have to think of the times ahead. And it's not the end of the world, and it's not necessary goodbye forever.

Doesn't make it any easier though.
Perhaps she could visit once you are settled?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I know how you feel, I havent said good bye to my Dad yet but I had to say bye to my Mum as she lives in Spain and went back a few days ago. I am not an emotional person and tend to switch off but this was hard, she wouldnt stop crying then I had to hand her over to my Dad who took her to the airport.

Saying good bye to my Dad will be a different matter, he doesnt tend to show emotion either, we are both very closed off, and to be honest I like it that way.

My parents think it will be the last time I see them for years, but it wont be, they dont have much money fair enough but as soon as I have a job I will get them a ticket to come over and see me.

As for friends and other family, well, if they are that good they will come visit and visa versa, cant say I will miss them at all.

You will be fine Xzibit, Good luck mate, hope it all works out for you.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:45 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

The hardest thing ive ever done was leaving my parents behind.....i must be going soft in my old age
The day we left was horrible and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

Theres no easy way im afraid just gotta bite the bullet and go through with it.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Xzibit, that time flew in. Best of luck with it. I was absolutely fine until my brother left me at the airport. My mother was in tears the day before, my Dad looked worried and my sisters were upset. But for some reason, just as I said goodbye to my brother and walked away I felt quite sad. They all texted me before I boarded my flight and wished me well. Once I got on the plane i was totally fine though and back to being excited about getting to Sydney.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Hi Xzibit, poor you, leaving friends & family is the hardest part of being here but there are things that you can do to keep the bond close. Do you have a webcam? It helps if you can see people in real time and make sure when you finish a converstation with them you have a set time when you will speak to them again. There are lots of calling cards on the market too which make calling home (even from a mobile) incredibly cheap so you can call home as often or as little as you like. Start a flight fund as soon as possible too so you know that you are already working towards a UK holiday sometime. As you will know by now it does get easier once you're on the plane. If you are missing this special person can't she save up & come out to see you for a holiday?