British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   4 days in and feel like a fish out of water (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/4-days-feel-like-fish-out-water-498366/)

Philhowe Dec 6th 2007 7:58 pm

4 days in and feel like a fish out of water

Hi everyone,

We have just arrived in Brisbane and are staying in a furnished rental in the Castledine area (14 K north of the city). Is there anyone out there who would like to meet over a coffee or beer during the weekend?

Our two kids, Daniel 20 and Laura 19 are keen to meet local expats of a similar age; we the wrinklies’ Sally and Phil would buy the coffees or beer in exchange for some tips on settling in.

We all feel a bit like fish out of the water at the moment…….

Phil, Sally, Daniel and Laura

Hutch Dec 6th 2007 8:32 pm

Re: 4 days in and feel like a fish out of water

Originally Posted by Philhowe (Post 5640841)
Hi everyone,

We have just arrived in Brisbane and are staying in a furnished rental in the Castledine area (14 K north of the city). Is there anyone out there who would like to meet over a coffee or beer during the weekend?

Our two kids, Daniel 20 and Laura 19 are keen to meet local expats of a similar age; we the wrinklies’ Sally and Phil would buy the coffees or beer in exchange for some tips on settling in.

Hi guys - not in your neck of the woods - just wanted to wish you good luck finding your feet. It is an unsettling period those first few weeks. :)

loz Dec 6th 2007 9:03 pm

Like Hutch not in your part of Brissie but welcome anyway and hang on in there................................you'll soon get in the swing of things. Look out for the next Brissie meet and go along you will meet loads of great people who will guide you through:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Loz x

MaggieM Dec 6th 2007 9:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Hi Phil and Sally,

Do you mean Carseldine? We're actually going there on Saturday, so could try to meet up with you for a coffee.

Maggie ;)

Philhowe Dec 6th 2007 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies and words of encouragement.

Yes Maggie, that should have read Carseldine, I wrote the original message at 6 this morning, we’re still getting up as soon as the sun appears, that’s my excuse!

If you would like to PM me, I will call you to arrange a time and a place.

Thanks,

Phil, Sally and the gang.

Sue from Manchester Dec 6th 2007 11:13 pm

Had a lie in then hey? Honestly 6 am is not early here. I'm up before 5 to take son to rowing. Welcome to Brissie. Sorry, we're on the South Side. My sons are 20 and 15 and really enjoy it here. They'll soon make friends and find loads to do, especially if they like sport. Just to say welcome really.

sasbear Dec 6th 2007 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Philhowe (Post 5641413)
Hi guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies and words of encouragement.

Yes Maggie, that should have read Carseldine, I wrote the original message at 6 this morning, we’re still getting up as soon as the sun appears, that’s my excuse!

If you would like to PM me, I will call you to arrange a time and a place.

Thanks,

Phil, Sally and the gang.

Not anywhere near you - but wanted to say hi and hope you settle in quickly:thumbup:

manc1 Dec 7th 2007 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester (Post 5641557)
Had a lie in then hey? Honestly 6 am is not early here. I'm up before 5 to take son to rowing. Welcome to Brissie. Sorry, we're on the South Side. My sons are 20 and 15 and really enjoy it here. They'll soon make friends and find loads to do, especially if they like sport. Just to say welcome really.

Oh no another manc. :thumbsup:

manc1 Dec 7th 2007 12:27 am

Hi everyone,

Take it easy Phil, it takes a while to get your bearings and become comfortable with your surroundings. Good luck on your journey.

tictac Dec 7th 2007 12:52 am

Welcome to the Northside

Sent you a PM

Cheers

Pollyana Dec 7th 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by tictac (Post 5641810)
Welcome to the Northside

Sent you a PM

Cheers

It really is time we had a gathering around Aspley/Carseldine way, there's quite a few of us up this end of town, but apart from going down to Chermside I don't know what any of the pubs are like. Suggestions anyone? I know there's one bar fronting Gympie Road by the complex with MacDonalds, Pizza Hut etc - anyone tried there or got any other ideas?

The OH Dec 7th 2007 6:56 am

we the wrinklies’ Sally and Phil would buy the coffees or beer in exchange for some tips on settling in.

Welcome P,S, D & L you'll be OK even wrinklies like us managed to settle in on the southside:eek:

Polly will put the kettle on I'm sure and it won't take long to make new friends...just chill and enjoy...

Would love to meet up, however have promised to play for Brissy and play my part in the defeat of the gold coast golfing set:lol:

Pollyana Dec 7th 2007 9:00 am

Originally Posted by The OH (Post 5642532)
Welcome P,S, D & L you'll be OK even wrinklies like us managed to settle in on the southside:eek:

Polly will put the kettle on I'm sure and it won't take long to make new friends...just chill and enjoy...

Would love to meet up, however have promised to play for Brissy and play my part in the defeat of the gold coast golfing set:lol:

The beer is more in my line, though I have been spotted with coffee :D
I'm not sure I can make it this weekend, which is a shame, already promised to venture "down south" and see some mates from work.
I'm free most of Wednesday and Friday though this week, if anyone fancies a few drinks perhaps Wednesday afternoon at Chermside, going into the evening, there's a nice bar called Badabing, does food too, its on the northern end of Chermside. If anyone fancies it, let me know, even if you don't plan to stop long. I have to go down there anyway so please, let me know and we can get together.
By Wednesday I'm sure even you newbies will have discovered Chermside shopping centre - head down Gympie Road from Carseldine towards the city. If you turn into Murphy Road, then right at the lights and go into that end of Chermside, tyou'll be near the bar, which is at the edge of the newer food court, near Woolworths. Let me know if you can make it :)