Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3mths notice - what did you do?

3mths notice - what did you do?

Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:23 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question 3mths notice - what did you do?

We have been going through timing of when things are all going to happen. It should (hopefully) be just a short process for DIMIA to finalise things and send us the pre-grant letter. The house will be going on the market in the next mth, with the great unknown of when we get to the holy grail of exchanging contracts and competion.

The pain is that other half has to give 3mths notice for his job, but we don't want to do this until we have reached the exchange of contract stage on the house sale. Am I right in saying it usually takes 2-4wks to then get to completion (ie move out of the house)?

(If so) That will give us about 2mths where we have to serve (bit like a jail sentence) the notice period but with no fixed abode.

What have others done? Hotel? short term rent? relations (we have none nearby)? friends (we don't want to pi$$ them off & lose their friendship)? Cardboard box? Something completley different?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:25 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3mths notice - what did you do?

Originally Posted by walaj
We have been going through timing of when things are all going to happen. It should (hopefully) be just a short process for DIMIA to finalise things and send us the pre-grant letter. The house will be going on the market in the next mth, with the great unknown of when we get to the holy grail of exchanging contracts and competion.

The pain is that other half has to give 3mths notice for his job, but we don't want to do this until we have reached the exchange of contract stage on the house sale. Am I right in saying it usually takes 2-4wks to then get to completion (ie move out of the house)?

(If so) That will give us about 2mths where we have to serve (bit like a jail sentence) the notice period but with no fixed abode.

What have others done? Hotel? short term rent? relations (we have none nearby)? friends (we don't want to pi$$ them off & lose their friendship)? Cardboard box? Something completley different?
Can you get away with just not doing the 3 months ? like just buggering off or something?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:35 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Can you get away with just not doing the 3 months ? like just buggering off or something?
not really - that would screw up asking the company for suitable position in Oz and would hinder other company closely linked to asking the same re positions in Oz. Plus it would be burning bridges if we were to return to UK.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

You could try to see if any letting agents have some fully furnished short term lets. Or depending were you live you could perhaps hire a static caravan somewhere or borrow a tourer and pitch somewhere. 3 months is a long time in situations like this what a nightmare.

Just a point though, 2 weeks is the norm from exchange to completion, some might be less, this would be something you would need to discuss with the buyer, they may not be keen on a month and may not be possible if they are in a chain because everyone would have to agree.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Have you forgot that you might be stuck in a backward chain. If your house is too expensive to attract a fisrt time buyer the you most definitley will be in a chain and how long is a piece of string
Good Luck
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:01 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to P off the other halfs employers, maybe best to warn them now, in particular if you may look to them to help with employment in Oz? Maybe he could ask that if all is not complete by the time he leaves then he could work on a months contract, similar to being freelance. I think a few have done that on here until it was time to up sticks, means you won't be worrying where to live. Its gonna take more than 3 months to sell the house, surely?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:03 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lovealot

Have you forgot that you might be stuck in a backward chain. If your house is too expensive to attract a fisrt time buyer the you most definitley will be in a chain and how long is a piece of string
Good Luck
Yes.

What the OP is asking is once they've exchanged contract his O/H will hand her notice in and then she has to work 3 months.

Walaj: our plan in case the visas havent come and we sell the house is to rent a static caravan, but that said we live on the coast so there are plenty around here...
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

You can specify the time between exchange and completion. When we bought the owners were moving to Spain and we had a two month gap. All we had to do was get buildings insurance, the solicitors sorted out something about the deposit, we didn't have to pay it.

I also have to give two months notice so am planning to do the same thing. My buildings insurance tho does cover any buyer between exchange and completion so, at least they won't have to do that.

It may be worth asking any potential buyers up front if they would be willing for a three month gap - once exchange has happened they know the move will happen so may be willing to wait and save themselves a few bob in the process.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:27 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
You can specify the time between exchange and completion. When we bought the owners were moving to Spain and we had a two month gap. All we had to do was get buildings insurance, the solicitors sorted out something about the deposit, we didn't have to pay it.

I also have to give two months notice so am planning to do the same thing. My buildings insurance tho does cover any buyer between exchange and completion so, at least they won't have to do that.

It may be worth asking any potential buyers up front if they would be willing for a three month gap - once exchange has happened they know the move will happen so may be willing to wait and save themselves a few bob in the process.
I too am on a 3 month contract - what i have done is ....

I told the MD and CEO that i intend to buggar off within the next 3-6 months. What they have done is start recruiting now to replace me, they were looking at getting another programmer anyway so they have extended that to an additional one on top.

So my plan is when the second of the new people start hopefully in the next few weeks - and certainly by Xmas (when i intend to do the dirty deed) we will be back upto the normal staff quota, i will then put the house on the market - obviously get a buyer the day after when we are a way down the buying track hand my notice in and grovel beg and generally plead that they release me from my contract.

Failing that i can see the odd error creeping into the system, furthermore the odd system crash, perhaps i may be taken ill for days at a time - oooohhh the stress 'Dr - i am migrating to Australia, i cant sleep at night for the stress of it all - Mr Patient let me sign you off with stress for a week or two....'
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:05 pm
no longer searching

thanks for all the comments

I had thought about asking buyer to extend the time to move, just did not know if this was common place or likely especially when buyers are in a stronger position at the moment when I feel we be glad just to get house sold - unlikely to be a 1st time buyer, maybe one who is moving up from flat, so could be 2 properties in chain. Had not thought about the insurance issue though.

grovelling to employer to leave earlier - not consider, is a possibility but there is more than enough work on other half plate that I just feel they won't release him early. He has not been with employer that long so don't feel he could approach them just yet re Australian positions or leaving. We are being a bit selfish and trying to ensure we get the most out of them (eg bonus) as poss. Maybe we are trying to have our cake & eat it!

Know there are camping areas nearby, not sure re caravans and using them through the winter with a baby.

Giving notice and then freelancing - possible as there is someone contracting, although they are trying to push him to go permanent as like many companies they are trying to cut costs.

Again thanks for the suggestions - will give us a few things to chew over
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are just about doing everything suggested but not necessarily for the same reasons.

I have formally ended my contract at the end of August but have been granted permission to leave earlier if I want at almost no notice. I made sure they knew of my plans months in advance and so they are okay about it.

We will ask for at least 2 weeks between exchange and completion but that is mainly so we have time to sort shippers, have final clear outs etc

We will stay with friends and relatives after completion for about 6 weeks. Again this isn't work related. We just don't want to commit to buying plane tickets until we complete. We are also looking forward to a farewell tour.

We have on-arrival accomodation booked but may go earlier and use holiday accomodation.