3G Phones?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3G Phones?

Hi all,

Can anubody shed any light onto the status of 3G phone services in Australia, specifically Sydney? I'm just about to buy a spangly new 3G phone for myself, but then wondered how many of the services will actually work in Aus.

I will obviously get it unlocked, to run on any network as a GPRS phone, but are there any Aussie networks that support 3G network services, primarily video messaging?

Thoughts anyone?

S
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:31 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3G Phones?

OK - to the best of my understanding:

There are 6 companies licenced for 3G (UMTS or W-CDMA if you prefer), but only Hutchinson (trading as 3) and Vodafone (actually shared with optus) have live 3G networks.

Telstra, Optus, CKW Wireless (?) and 3G Investments (?) don't yet have "live" networks, and may not even have started rollout.

Something else to consider - if you are primarily interested in VT (video phone), check that the phone(s) you want to call are actually reachable from your chosen aussie network; eg is there VT interoperability between the two networks (I guess vodafone oz to vodafone uk probably works, but can't confirm it (yet)).

Mr W
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Telstra announced in the last week that it is going to totally to 3G within a year (?).

Google search the news for more info.

WW
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi all,

Can anubody shed any light onto the status of 3G phone services in Australia, specifically Sydney? I'm just about to buy a spangly new 3G phone for myself, but then wondered how many of the services will actually work in Aus.

I will obviously get it unlocked, to run on any network as a GPRS phone, but are there any Aussie networks that support 3G network services, primarily video messaging?

Thoughts anyone?

S
I've just signed up with 3. They seem to offer the best deals. Service seems to be good in Perth. I'm on a $29 cap plan. Only thing is the contracts here are 24 months rather than 12 months, you can upgrade after a year though. I got a Nokia N70 3G, which is a pretty cool phone.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:26 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i think that is only the CDMA network (used predominantly in the bush) they are replacing.

optus 3g is also live in sydney, melbourne, canberra and brisbane CBDs, plus perth and adelaide airports

so all of the major players (vodafone, optus, tel$tra and three) are all now active

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Telstra announced in the last week that it is going to totally to 3G within a year (?).

Google search the news for more info.

WW
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Telstra's 3G network is available to business customers. Vodafone and Optus have just gone 3G. 3 have been 3G for a year.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've just signed up with 3. They seem to offer the best deals. Service seems to be good in Perth. I'm on a $29 cap plan. Only thing is the contracts here are 24 months rather than 12 months, you can upgrade after a year though. I got a Nokia N70 3G, which is a pretty cool phone.
And here I was hoping to dump 3!

Coverage is flakey outside the CBD's even when roaming on Vodaphone. Paying for voicemail is pain.

As for the upgrade, that was a con. Pay out the remainder of the contract and get a new phone at a special price. Paid out the contract then they changed the offer to more than I was already paying.

Encouraging customers to pay early is usually the last sign of a business going broke.

WW