Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

30,000 New Zealanders a year move into Queensland?

30,000 New Zealanders a year move into Queensland?

Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:50 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 30,000 New Zealanders a year move into Queensland?

Is this true? When I was told this yesterday I was gobsmacked thinking this figure was for the whole of Australia I asked the guy who told me to check it. This is an amazing statistic and if it's factual just serves to re-inforce our belief that we are making the right move.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:09 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30,000 New Zealanders a year move into Queensland?

Originally Posted by Nerine
Is this true? When I was told this yesterday I was gobsmacked thinking this figure was for the whole of Australia I asked the guy who told me to check it. This is an amazing statistic and if it's factual just serves to re-inforce our belief that we are making the right move.
It's not true... The latest figures from DIAC indicate about 17k for the whole of Australia....

DIAC
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

NZ is a complex area. When Kiwis enter Australia, they receive a "Special" Visa, that entitles then to stay in Australia indefinately. So, tourist and people who want to stay here forever get the same visa. Therefore, maybe that statistic suggest that 30,000 people who entered QLD were from NZ. But alot of them could have been tourist that would have left Australia a few weeks after arrival.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:10 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Nerine, judging by your previous posts I doubt you will be happy until you have given it a go in OZ. So don't worry about stats so much as they can be interpreted in a number of ways. Just don't go over with the idea it's some kind of utopia here compared to NZ, because it isn't. You'll get good and bad days anywhere. You may love Brisbane or hate the place, but you won't know till you've been there.It will be an education for sure, and you may just find you develop an appreciation of NZ after a while there.

Good luck in finding a place in which you are happy to live.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by googy
NZ is a complex area. When Kiwis enter Australia, they receive a "Special" Visa, that entitles then to stay in Australia indefinately. So, tourist and people who want to stay here forever get the same visa. Therefore, maybe that statistic suggest that 30,000 people who entered QLD were from NZ. But alot of them could have been tourist that would have left Australia a few weeks after arrival.
Maybe that is how he got such a high figure, it seems rather excessive doesn't it.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Brisbane for 3 months now, I don't post a lot because I've finally found what I was looking
My 3 years in NZ was good, but my 3 months here have been up to now far better and the wife and kids are not here yet.

Re the amount of Kiwi's here, well I'm shocked by how many there is and how there accents have changed to blend in more with the Ozzies. But you know the true amount when they win something! The other week when they won the cricket there seemed to be thousand of them

I do agree with Kiwichild, but for me Australia has certainly ticked all my boxes.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The figure normally quoted is 600 Kiwis leave New Zealand permanently every week. Of those, 400 move to Australia, the balance mainly move to the UK.

This would indicate a net migration NZ - Oz of 20,000 per year.

This is less than the number of immigrants entering NZ from countries such as China.

caveat - I can't be bothered looking these figures up to see how accurate they are but they are there or thereabouts.

Buzzy
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if the figure you quote is correct but there are loads of Kiwis in Perth and more moving over all the time. I guess it's mostly for economic reasons. It's a beautiful country but the opportunities to make a decent income are limited. NZ is on the verge of becoming a 3rd world country (this is from Kiwis who I work with before anyone attacks).
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:53 pm

No, don't worry...many consider that it's a third world country already. How exactly that could be defined is hard to say - child poverty, proportion of people drinking clean water, sufficient nutrition? all are issues in the country and very evident away from the major towns and cities.

I guess the figure of 30,000 may also include the number of kiwis migrating to Queensland from within Oz. The state does seem to be experiencing rapid growth though doesn't it.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the figure of 30,000 may also include the number of kiwis migrating to Queensland from within Oz. The state does seem to be experiencing rapid growth though doesn't it.
Yep, its great for me work wise

I wish I'd stuck to my guns three years ago and come straight here instead of getting despondent in NZ
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:27 am

I know the feeling
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I know the feeling
How long to go?

I'm not just saying this and I know I've only been in Brisbane a few months, but its bloody great. The good thing is because we left the UK 3 years ago we have not had the home sickness feeling and doubt we will now.

This place is ace, just can't wait for the wife to get here just hope she likes the car and house I've bought her, oh and the boat I've bought for our Harry, when he's older he'll be able to drive it as well!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:05 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
NZ is on the verge of becoming a 3rd world country (this is from Kiwis who I work with before anyone attacks).
Yeah, I know what you mean. This is one Kiwi who can't face moving from London to NZ, regardless of family

Hopefully Oz, with vacations to NZ, will be the compromise I need.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnord
Yeah, I know what you mean. This is one Kiwi who can't face moving from London to NZ, regardless of family

Hopefully Oz, with vacations to NZ, will be the compromise I need.
You and me both mate (well Kiwi by marriage).

Buzzy
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:54 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

If any of you lonely Kiwis out there need cheered up.

http://adultsheepfinder.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.