Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 year old Drugged up!!!

3 year old Drugged up!!!

Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 3 year old Drugged up!!!

Our youngest of 4 kids (Mad Max) needs to be heavily sedated on the OZ flight to Perth. Any suggestions on what can be used without being arrested!!
Andrew
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 year old Drugged up!!!

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Our youngest of 4 kids (Mad Max) needs to be heavily sedated on the OZ flight to Perth. Any suggestions on what can be used without being arrested!!
Andrew

anti histamines tend to be sedating, given with a low dose of paracetamol.
Perhaps if you think your son needs such heavy sedation you should take him to see your gp, explain your anxieties and get something prescribed properly!!??? Should your gp not be helpful ask him to refer you to someone who is willing to review him and make some useful suggestions! failing that contact one of the travel clinics - there are a few in london and several dotted around the country who you could at least be able to phone if not able to visit.
I understand your need to make the journey as stress free as possible for him, but you really should get professional advice.

Sue
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:07 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

A tot of whiskey in a bottle of milk always used to work for me when I was a babysitter!

Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
One popular way is to give your child some 'Phenergan' which is an antihistamine and causes drowsiness.

I was told about it by my next-door-neighbour in Singapore who was a Scottish nurse who used to give it to her daughter just before a long flight - I don't know if it's bought over the counter in the UK or not but you could buy it everywhere in Singapore without a prescription and their prescription laws are more strict than those in the UK. 'Phenergan' may be called another name in the UK though, but just ask a pharmacist.

Many expat parents would give it to their kids on the long 14 hour flights to and returning from the UK/Europe or the US on the annual Summer home leave - I do know some parents who swore by it. However, I did hear that in rare cases 'Phenergan' would have the opposite effect and make a child hyperactive...
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum
One popular way is to give your child some 'Phenergan' which is an antihistamine and causes drowsiness.

I was told about it by my next-door-neighbour in Singapore who was a Scottish nurse who used to give it to her daughter just before a long flight - I don't know if it's bought over the counter in the UK or not but you could buy it everywhere in Singapore without a prescription and their prescription laws are more strict than those in the UK. 'Phenergan' may be called another name in the UK though, but just ask a pharmacist.

Many expat parents would give it to their kids on the long 14 hour flights to and returning from the UK/Europe or the US on the annual Summer home leave - I do know some parents who swore by it. However, I did hear that in rare cases 'Phenergan' would have the opposite effect and make a child hyperactive...

Here's a link showing some information about 'Phenergan' (pronounce the 'g' as a hard 'g' as in gate).

It does say that it is a sedative and can be used for children from the age of 2 and is also intended for travel/motion sickness. It will cause drowsiness. I would definitely consult with a nurse/phamacist or doctor before buying it - and probably best in syrup form. You will of course need to take a buggy/stroller in case your child is still sleepy when you are transferring or departing from your flight!

I actually now recall my daughter having 'Phenergan' when she had chickenpox and it did make her sleep well - she actually woke up and said that she had had a lovely sleep!

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/phe1332.htm

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 year old Drugged up!!!

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Andrew

calpol normally knocks em out
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To all your replies

Originally posted by Englishmum
Here's a link showing some information about 'Phenergan' (pronounce the 'g' as a hard 'g' as in gate).

It does say that it is a sedative and can be used for children from the age of 2 and is also intended for travel/motion sickness. It will cause drowsiness. I would definitely consult with a nurse/phamacist or doctor before buying it - and probably best in syrup form. You will of course need to take a buggy/stroller in case your child is still sleepy when you are transferring or departing from your flight!

I actually now recall my daughter having 'Phenergan' when she had chickenpox and it did make her sleep well - she actually woke up and said that she had had a lovely sleep!

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/phe1332.htm

Hope this helps!
Thank you to all your replies, We actually live in Menorca ,Spain but we will return to England for a 2 week holiday for Christmas and so it will be easier for us to explain to the chemists/doctor what we need.Will definately look into the Phenergan as I was told also that a normal antihistamine could make him hyper!!

Don't get me wrong here,only wish to make the journey a little easier for us,him and our fellow passengers.

Andrews wife.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our eldest daughter is prone to occasional travel sickness and I can vouch for phenergan - wonderful stuff - she's not sick cos she's unconscious!

Have to go I think the social worker is knocking on the door

Claire
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

claire answer the bloody door ,its freezing out here.
trust me ,im a social worker!!!!
donna
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Donna,
just waking the kids up and letting them out of the cupboard before we let you in.

Claire
Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:09 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest has adhd and I too am dreading the flight, ritolin is not an option, was offered a sleeping syrum by his dr but it just made him really aggressive. phenergan has been around for years and I also used when my eldest 2 had chickenpox. I think I will try this aswell before the flight and see what effect it has on him...somebody said give him a really strong coffee it has the reverse effect with adhd children but I dont know so much
Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

nice one claire.At least you can now sleep with a clear conscience.
good night.
donna
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sky, how old & why is ritalin not an option? Andy, how old is Max?

As for Phenergan, I used it on the flight over to the UK, works a treat for most kids, but some DO have the opposite reaction to it, just make sure you test it once BEFORE you get on the plane. After we got here we used it for 2 or 3 nights to overcome the jet lag & being awake all night problem with the kids, so I had hardly any left. Off I trotted to the Pharmacy to ask for some more (you buy it over the counter here in OZ) the woman in the pharmacy gave me a REALLY hard time about me wanting to *drug* my kids for no reason blah blah blah. Anyway after 10 mins of her telling me off (its a wonder she didnt consult Child Welfare, she was so rabid about it ), it turns out that you cant get Phenergan without a prescription in the UK anyway. So unless its changed, you will probably have to go to the docs to get it (as someone else said, its a good idea to go & ask & check with them anyway, I did before we left Australia). For anyone who may have any doubts Phenergan is an antihistimine as someone else mentioned, & as well as being used for allergies, its also used to help with sleeping problems. Doseages are on the bottle for the different uses.

One other suggestion, over here in Australia we have another drug called Polaramine, also an antihistimine that can also be used, it has a similar action (although a totally different drug). Not sure if you have it over there.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Andy, I just realised hes 3, thats why the thread is titled as it is LOL.

Sky, someone told me that as well, load of b*ll*cks if you ask me, I think its an old wives tale. one thing I can tell you is that the one & ONLY time my kids have ever had coke (my friend gave it to them while they were waiting for me to check in the luggage) was before our flight to the UK, hell on earth as a description is probably an understatement. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

just waking the kids up and letting them out of the cupboard before we let you in.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.