Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in, what expat info was most useful for me

3 weeks in, what expat info was most useful for me

Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of
Default 3 weeks in, what expat info was most useful for me

Well we are 3 1/2 weeks into our new life in Perth and I thought I would share the things I found from expats, all be it random that were great bits of advice and help, if it helps someone else great...by the way it is just my opinion, in case anyone finds anything they don't like
1) How you are/ how you deal with things at home won't change over a plane journey, I spend hours reading different peoples feeling, homesick, will hit you after x days/ months, not settled etc etc. I didn't know how I would feel and it is still very early days but so far so good, all positive (but that little nagging feeling at pit of tummy...but this is me we will all be different)
2) There is so much to sort out over first couple of weeks it is manic! Tax file no, medicare register, centrelink, bank cards etc etc.
3) Remember no history, wait for cards etc (can be quite slow so have access to cash for first few days) We had to keep getting cash out for everything initially
4)Loads of expenses we didn't consider, maybe small but all add up for example to swap driving license $160 each, stamp duty on car 1% of value, Set up fee for phone, electricity etc....all things you would pay in UK too but don't really think of ...well we didn't
5)People on this site are so helpful and welcoming!!!!!!
6) Bring lots of UK multi plug adaptors so instead of buying converters for each UK plug, you can plug 3 or 4 things to one adaptor, this is brilliant advice whoever added it, saved me a forturne
7) Pack your coat hangers
8)Put jumpers in......I have been quite cold
9)Sorry men ....but although ladies sanitary towels etc are fine here, you cant beat lillets and always ultra...i guess what my xmas presents from the uk will be
10) You can get most things or similar to UK, some taste different, some better, some worse, some more expensive, some cheaper but get used to some changes, you have after all moved for a change and get people to bring you treats over.....

Hope this is of use to someone
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

BuddysMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 weeks in, what expat info was most useful for me

That really is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I have often wondered....why bother buying adaptors, why not just change the plugs? It wouldn't take very long to do, surely?

Hope you continue to settle and really love your new life (with or without lil-lets!)

By the way, a friend of mune lives in Indonesia and asked for a HUGE box of Tampax to be sent over....they arrived safely...in a way...customs tore open every single one, then bundled them all back into the box and sent them on! So be prepared!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has spent two weekends changing plugs. You should do it on small appliances and hoovers etc, but if you have something like computer/printer/shredder etc that don't move then it is far easier to buy one 6-gang socket and just change the plug at the bit that goes into the wall, leaving the uk plugs on the rest which can then plug into the sockets. (Hope that is the right terms but technical i am not!)
p.s. I miss the tampax compacts,- you just can't get them here, but you can get normal Tampax. Don't fancy customs going through my things !
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BuddysMum
I have often wondered....why bother buying adaptors, why not just change the plugs? It wouldn't take very long to do, surely?
With everything else you need to do at first, it is easier to use adapters for a while.

An interesting exercise is to count up how many items you have, that will need new plugs. You may be surprised.

The 6-gang socket with just one plug change is an excellent choice for a while as well.

Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Samleeuk
Well we are 3 1/2 weeks into our new life in Perth and I thought I would share the things I found from expats, all be it random that were great bits of advice and help, if it helps someone else great...by the way it is just my opinion, in case anyone finds anything they don't like
1) How you are/ how you deal with things at home won't change over a plane journey, I spend hours reading different peoples feeling, homesick, will hit you after x days/ months, not settled etc etc. I didn't know how I would feel and it is still very early days but so far so good, all positive (but that little nagging feeling at pit of tummy...but this is me we will all be different)
2) There is so much to sort out over first couple of weeks it is manic! Tax file no, medicare register, centrelink, bank cards etc etc.
3) Remember no history, wait for cards etc (can be quite slow so have access to cash for first few days) We had to keep getting cash out for everything initially
4)Loads of expenses we didn't consider, maybe small but all add up for example to swap driving license $160 each, stamp duty on car 1% of value, Set up fee for phone, electricity etc....all things you would pay in UK too but don't really think of ...well we didn't
5)People on this site are so helpful and welcoming!!!!!!
6) Bring lots of UK multi plug adaptors so instead of buying converters for each UK plug, you can plug 3 or 4 things to one adaptor, this is brilliant advice whoever added it, saved me a forturne
7) Pack your coat hangers
8)Put jumpers in......I have been quite cold
9)Sorry men ....but although ladies sanitary towels etc are fine here, you cant beat lillets and always ultra...i guess what my xmas presents from the uk will be
10) You can get most things or similar to UK, some taste different, some better, some worse, some more expensive, some cheaper but get used to some changes, you have after all moved for a change and get people to bring you treats over.....

Hope this is of use to someone
Just thought of something else....food containers I have become the queen of tupperware buying since my arrival.....everything goes in containers, I would recommend a trip to Ikea for the cereal holders pre or post arrival as well as Big W
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for tupperware or klippit boxes- keeps out the little weevils and roaches- tho touch wood none have been spotted alive inside the house thanks to huge doses of Mortein around the entrances and airbricks.
I was told I should keep my cake in the fridge as it has nuts in and they get weevils, but if any hatch they'll die of alcohol poisoning! I'm a great believer in the preservative powers of alcohol- trying to preserve myself like mad.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:29 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do still check for weevils before you use flour, pasta, etc. In Asia we came to the conclusion that sometimes they are in dried goods when you buy them.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Weevil????

Yay to alcohol preseration
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:45 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

One of many delights you have yet to experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weevil

Don't panic too much - I never saw one in 6 years in Asia (I'm not much of a cook, even less so there) but I know friends had problems with them. I keep everything in glass jars with rubber seals, much of it in the fridge.