Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Perth - update

3 weeks in Perth - update

Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:51 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 weeks in Perth - update

I love Perth, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I can't believe I feel like that already!!!

Everyone is so friendly which I didn't always find out east. Probably because so many people here are British or recent decendants of them that there is no Pom-bashing at all that we have come across.

We sorted a house within 6 days and moved in this Monday. Our container is with Crown at the moment awaiting clearance so we are sleeping on air beds but we are gradually acquiring stuff: fridge/freezer, patio furniture (used as dining furniture for the moment), TV, microwave etc etc so it is starting to feel like home. It has 4 beds, 3 bathrooms, games room and a study so we keep getting lost!!! Bigger than we need but it is nice, in a nice area (Currambine), near a good school and in the area we think we will settle.

Perth is easy to get around. Trains are clean and reliable for the city. Roads are not very busy and on a grid layout so you easily learn your way around.

The car was sorted 4 days after the house. Again easy to do. $600 stamp duty a week later was a shock though.

Maryann loves school. It is a relaxed atmosphere and she is making friends. She comes home from school with a bit of an Aussie accent already each day which fades over the evening.

I haven't started looking for a job yet. We are earning a shed load of interest on our savings and too busy doing things (nesting as well as fun) at the moment.

I don't get comments in the past about Perth being remote and quiet. We have got tickets to the Rock-it festival with Oasis, Foo Fighters and Kaiser Chiefs for December, are going to watch Perth Glory (soccer) tonight and may even squeeze in Rally Australia this weekend too. We have enough plans already to fill 2 years worth of weekends.

Done Freo, Zoo, Hillarys already.

The one thing I don't like (apart from the flies) is the time difference to the east coast. It is no big deal, but silly things like watching Australian Idol results night when you remember that the program was shown 3 hours earlier on that side of the country means that it isn't "Live" at all. But if that is the only negative thing I can say about the place then it shows you how good this place is!!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:59 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Perth - update

The one thing I don't like (apart from the flies) is the time difference to the east coast. It is no big deal, but silly things like watching Australian Idol results night when you remember that the program was shown 3 hours earlier on that side of the country means that it isn't "Live" at all. But if that is the only negative thing I can say about the place then it shows you how good this place is!!!

Look, how sad are we - only been here 5 min and worrying about Idol - "COME ON LEE"
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

The Qld government have been blamed for Queenslander Dan being kicked off ldol last week - because there's no daylight savings here Queenslanders get an hour less time to vote, and apparently loads tried to vote in that last hour but by then the voting lines had closed.
Something like that anyway. Can't really understand what they mean but it was another good reason for people here to slag off not having daylight savings
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I love Perth, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I can't believe I feel like that already!!!

Everyone is so friendly which I didn't always find out east. Probably because so many people here are British or recent decendants of them that there is no Pom-bashing at all that we have come across.

We sorted a house within 6 days and moved in this Monday. Our container is with Crown at the moment awaiting clearance so we are sleeping on air beds but we are gradually acquiring stuff: fridge/freezer, patio furniture (used as dining furniture for the moment), TV, microwave etc etc so it is starting to feel like home. It has 4 beds, 3 bathrooms, games room and a study so we keep getting lost!!! Bigger than we need but it is nice, in a nice area (Currambine), near a good school and in the area we think we will settle.

Perth is easy to get around. Trains are clean and reliable for the city. Roads are not very busy and on a grid layout so you easily learn your way around.

The car was sorted 4 days after the house. Again easy to do. $600 stamp duty a week later was a shock though.

Maryann loves school. It is a relaxed atmosphere and she is making friends. She comes home from school with a bit of an Aussie accent already each day which fades over the evening.

I haven't started looking for a job yet. We are earning a shed load of interest on our savings and too busy doing things (nesting as well as fun) at the moment.

I don't get comments in the past about Perth being remote and quiet. We have got tickets to the Rock-it festival with Oasis, Foo Fighters and Kaiser Chiefs for December, are going to watch Perth Glory (soccer) tonight and may even squeeze in Rally Australia this weekend too. We have enough plans already to fill 2 years worth of weekends.

I've only been here a few weeks myself & basically feel the same as you about Perth. I've fitted right in here & so far everything has gone relatively well. There is loads to do, Mt Lawley & Northbridge on weekends, Inglewood hotel during the week. We are going to watch South Africa beat the Aussies at cricket in December. I have not been bored yet. The 'isolated' story is rubbish as well, basically this is the opinion of people on the east coast who are known for talking crap at times .

Glad you're enjoying it.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:38 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi long time no speak

glad to hear you are dong so well, how come you ended up in Perth, thought you were off to Brissy??

Glad you are enjoying it, Perth is great my family are there so might end up there one day, but for now we are very settled here in Melly.

Sorry I havent been in touch, since moving here I barely have any time, just pop in now and again, and everyone seems to have come here now, so lots of catching up to do...

lots of love

Laura n JC
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:45 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Glad you are settling in so well sounds fantastic cant wait to get our visas and get to Perth!!!
Keep us posted!

Kris xx
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:55 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're having fun Worzel.
Keep us posted.
Enjoy
Julie
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 3 weeks in Perth - update

Great news! So glad to hear that it's working out for you!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:59 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news !! i'm really jealous...well done...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:01 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Smile Re: 3 weeks in Perth - update

You're making me jealous. I want to be there now!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

get a load of you!!

great news mate

very happy for the 3 of you
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point

The 'isolated' story is rubbish as well, basically this is the opinion of people on the east coast who are known for talking crap at times .

What sort of statement is that ? Is Perth not isolated ? I thought Perth was known worldwide as the most isolated city in the world ?
And its people on the east coast who talk crap???????
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:27 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Sounds great! Can't wait! See you in January 06

Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:34 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iain and Sam,

sooooo pleased to hear this!! Really glad that you're settling in well.
We'll be arriving on Boxing Day for our visa validation trip. Getting very excited.

Gina
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paygee
The 'isolated' story is rubbish as well, basically this is the opinion of people on the east coast who are known for talking crap at times .

What sort of statement is that ? Is Perth not isolated ? I thought Perth was known worldwide as the most isolated city in the world ?
And its people on the east coast who talk crap???????
Yeah, they do.

5 hours to Sydney,
5 hours to Brisbane,
5 hours to Singapore.

I'd rather go to Singapore.

Perth is 19 hours from London. Sydney is 25 hours from London.
Perth is 9 hours from Jo'burg. Sydney is 13 hours from Jo'burg.

Which is the most isolated?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.