Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 weeks to go ........ checklist?

3 weeks to go ........ checklist?

Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default 3 weeks to go ........ checklist?

Okay, 3 weeks time I will be in Melbourne, can anyone think of anything else i will need to do upon arrival (other than stop panicking)?
Note some of the items on list are personally applicable. List is not in priority order.

House to rent
ARTC collection
Medicare
Licence application (if staying on tools)
Bank account (already set up from uk)
TRN (think that's what it's called - tax number thingy)
Kids school
Job (only cos i have to)
Furniture (to park my bum after walking around without a car)
Car (to save my feet)
Sim cards for mobiles (to call solicitor 'cos i forgot about the OZ car licence)
Car Licence

Last edited by simpy; Nov 20th 2006 at 12:50 am.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks to go ........ checklist?

Originally Posted by simpy
Okay, 3 weeks time I will be in Melbourne, can anyone think of anything else i will need to do upon arrival (other than stop panicking)?
Note some of the items on list are personally applicable. List is not in priority order.

House to rent
ARTC collection
Medicare
Licence application (if staying on tools)
Bank account (already set up from uk)
TRN (think that's what it's called - tax number thingy)
Kids school
Job (only cos i have to)
Furniture (to park my bum after walking around without a car)
Car (to save my feet)
Sim cards for mobiles

Not needed straight away but you will need an Australian driving licence

Sharon
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BandS
Not needed straight away but you will need an Australian driving licence

Sharon
Forgot about that 1
Have added it to list, thanks.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

This might sound really stupid, but bring a uk extension lead, cus you will need to charge your uk phones!! and possibly bring a universal plug, you can get them here but its useful to have one to begin. Oh and get your phones unlocked before you come, although to be honest phones are really fairly cheap here.

Happy 3 weeks of panic !!

Regards Kim
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
This might sound really stupid, but bring a uk extension lead, cus you will need to charge your uk phones!! and possibly bring a universal plug, you can get them here but its useful to have one to begin. Oh and get your phones unlocked before you come, although to be honest phones are really fairly cheap here.

Happy 3 weeks of panic !!

Regards Kim
Thanks Kim, we have about 4 extension leads (3 going on container 1 in suitcase) and we have bought 10 (yes 10) adapters (dont ask) Phones are unlocked already. I think we have everything covered as to what to bring with us its just getting our heads around what we need to do upon arrival.
Need some vodka.....