Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 reasons not to move to OZ

3 reasons not to move to OZ

Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 reasons not to move to OZ

Originally Posted by eatstatic
The insular, parochial attitude of the population and its media.

Total obession with Sport.

Pom bashing is a national pastime.

Racism, especially towards the indigenous population.

Crap vegetarian food selection.

High cost of living compared to wages.

Too many V6/V8s, generally disregard for polluting the atmosphere.

The TV and media is very dumbed down and insular.

The chip shops are crap.

No decent pubs.

Too remote.

Junk Yank culrure everywhere, Maccas, food malls, Hungry Jacks, donut stalls etc

Aussies constantly telling you how lucky you are to be in Oz/how crap UK is (although they have never left Oz)

The lack of decent working conditions, far too many "casuals". Basically means no holiday pay, no sick pay etc. Some people been doing this for years, sad.

The weather is nasty in Summer, very humid and stormy on the East coast.

In the Uk if you want to sweat, take your 2 weeks in the med, have a cheap break, have 99% guarenteed sunshine and drink in decent bars, not the sanitised Aussies holes.
I do agree with some of this but not all:
I don't feel the aussies are any more obsessed with sports than the Brits (football)
Summers aren't too bad, except for the flies , the winters are worse

1) flies
2) bank charges
3) not alot of tolerance for anyone who isn't a beer guzzling, comodore driving, meat-eating, footy-watching bloke/shelia
4) the shopping isn't as good
5) P platers
6) TV

But when all is said and done, there are probably even more reasons to move here
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
3 reasons not to move to OZ:

1... It's going to be full of Brits so Oz will become totally politically correct.
?, Oz is full on PC & the ultimate nanny state.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:23 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shellfish
2) bank charges
English banks may not charge for so many things but they often offer lower (read "practically zero") interest rates. Swings and roundabouts, then.
3) not alot of tolerance for anyone who isn't a beer guzzling, comodore driving, meat-eating, footy-watching bloke/shelia
Intolerance is everywhere and comes in many forms. Equally there are plenty of decent tolerant Aussies around.
5) P platers
These are a good thing, surely?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:25 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

No "mate". I just walked around Oz as a typical British guy, no Aussies "bashed" me, not at all. I am married to an Aussie, you fool, I found a lot of Aussies agreeable, yet mostly bland.

Just like you Badge, no wonder you tried so desperatly to assimulate in to the blandest culture known to man.

You had only been in Oz a day and you come out with Yadda yadda, I got a beaut ute, fair dinkum, calling women "mate".

You are a fool, a parody a Pythonese characher, but with Roy and HG type humour.

What you aspire aspire for (and seem to have achieved) is to be an all Aussie bogan. Yet you are the bootleg bogan, the wannabee, yet neverwillbe. A source of Amusement, confusion and derision from Aussies and Brits alike!

Well done "mate"

yadda yadda

I got a V6 ute
1). You might be a "typical" British bloke,
2). Noone will condescend to bash you,
3). You'll flee to Britain and bash yourself sillier by the day.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I like you Badge, no wonder you tried

I don't mind badge either & I agree its worth trying to fit in here but to be honest it doesn't take much trying.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
English banks may not charge for so many things but they often offer lower (read "practically zero") interest rates. Swings and roundabouts, then.
1. Show me an Aussie bank where you can invest your savings and not be taxed on the interest, like you can with an ISA in the UK. Although this is not the banks fault, it's the government.

2. Show me an Aussie bank that'll offer you a 0% balance transfer on a credit card - UK banks are falling over themselves to do this.

3. Show me an Aussie bank that offers you a credit card that you don't have to pay $50 a year for (ok, there are some I know, but they are the exception rather than the rule)
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:55 pm
wombat42

No "mate". I just walked around Oz as a typical British guy, no Aussies "bashed" me, not at all. I am married to an Aussie, you fool,
l bet there would have been alot of Aussies that would have been very tempted to bash you.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 18th 2005 at 12:01 am.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:00 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by desperate2go
That would definately be my number 1 and the lack of acknowledgement of it by alot of Australian people
Was'nt it the Britain that decided to colonise OZ . Almost all of the massacres of Aboriginal people happened between 1788-1901 when OZ was a British colony ruled directly by Britain. It is Britain that is mainly responisble for the mistreatment of Aboriginals not Aussies. Wheres the Acknowledgement from the british people.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Intolerance is everywhere and comes in many forms. Equally there are plenty of decent tolerant Aussies around.
These are a good thing, surely?

1) My Commowealth interest rate is nothing to write home about. For that we have a high interest online account. I would rather it didn't cost me everytime I wanted to get cash out of the ATM and therefore having to draw $100 a shot

2) You a beer guzzling, comodore driving, meat-eating, footy-watching bloke, by any chance?

3) I didn't say I didn't like the concept of P-platers, I don't like the actual P-platers themselves and if you disagree with me, please try and take a drive from one end of chapel street to the other at 12am on a saturday night or get stuck next to a drag racer at a traffic light.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cyclemark
1. Show me an Aussie bank where you can invest your savings and not be taxed on the interest, like you can with an ISA in the UK. Although this is not the banks fault, it's the government.

2. Show me an Aussie bank that'll offer you a 0% balance transfer on a credit card - UK banks are falling over themselves to do this.

3. Show me an Aussie bank that offers you a credit card that you don't have to pay $50 a year for (ok, there are some I know, but they are the exception rather than the rule)
The ISAs interest me - ISAs Explained.

"How much can I save in an ISA?
The maximum amount in any one tax year is £7,000. Within that limit you can opt for either a single Maxi ISA or up to three Mini ISAs. With a Maxi ISA you can invest up to £7,000 in equities. You can also use some of the allocation for cash or insurance investments if you wish. A Mini ISA enables you to invest up to £3,000 in equities, up to £3,000 in cash (deposits or National Savings products) and up to £1,000 in life insurance (bonds or policies)."

So does that mean you can only have a balance up to £7,000 or does it mean you can add up to £7,000 to the balance each year?

The British banks are moving in and "stealing" some of the Aussie 4's depositors and they are starting to squeal a bit, BankWest took in > $1 G in a couple of months:

ANZ hits out at foreign banks
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Quinkana
The British banks are moving in and "stealing" some of the Aussie 4's depositors and they are starting to squeal a bit, BankWest took in > $1 G in a couple of months:
It's a wake up call for the Aussie Banks - welcome to the real world guys. Get real. And deal with the competition.

There's an ad on tv at the moment by the commonwealth with some seriously smug self-satisifed woman acting like they're giving you a fantastic deal on a savings account. 5%. Oh, but you have to deposit $50,000 first...

Why are they bothering to advertise this? What a waste of money!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:50 am
Banned

It's a wake up call for the Aussie Banks - welcome to the real world guys. Get real. And deal with the competition.

There's an ad on tv at the moment by the commonwealth with some seriously smug self-satisifed woman acting like they're giving you a fantastic deal on a savings account. 5%. Oh, but you have to deposit $50,000 first...

So what about the ISAs - max 7k or +7k per year?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:56 am
ABCDiamond

Better off with St George Bank DragonDirect account: 5.00 % p.a. no minimum balance
or
HSBC Australia 4.5% on balances of $2,000+

Whats the best UK instant access bank interest rate these days, as I am getting peanuts on of my UK deposit account. And it's only 2.85% gross with 60 days notice !

Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:49 am
Class 2 Guru

Don't get your credit card from a bank, then.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:55 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by Shellfish
2) You a beer guzzling, comodore driving, meat-eating, footy-watching bloke, by any chance?
I'm none of those!
3) I didn't say I didn't like the concept of P-platers, I don't like the actual P-platers themselves and if you disagree with me, please try and take a drive from one end of chapel street to the other at 12am on a saturday night or get stuck next to a drag racer at a traffic light.
Ah well I'm with you on that one. What is it with this country that it quite happily accepts illegal, anti-social and highly dangerous driving from people (mostly male) who are far too young and under-instructed to be driving the high-powered cars that they do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.