Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 months here and .....

3 months here and .....

Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:42 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 months here and .....

............................... now I am starting to love it.

I don’t know how you all do it when you are coming independently and I take my hat off to you all. We had a relocation agent working for us who dealt with everything from removals to house hunting, TFN, medical insurance etc etc but still I found it difficult.

I had never been to Australia before but my husband had lived in Perth for about 7 years during the 1980s and 90s

We arrived in June and it was freezing! Well I had just left London where the temperature had been about 30 for nearly 2 weeks. Most of our winter clothes were on the container and did I miss my coat!?

I think what I have found really hard is not working. I know that some of you would see this as a godsend but when you don’t have children (have a stepson of 17 but that’s another story), friends and nothing is familiar around you it can be very difficult settling down. My husband started work straight away and I could feel myself becoming very resentful that he was out all day and I was shut away in a tiny apartment.

Anyway once we got our house and familiar things around us things have improved on a daily basis.

Whilst we used to go out in London to eat a lot we didn’t do much else but since being here we have been to the theatre 3 times, seen the Black Eyed Peas, been to Double Island nr Cairns, been to Sorrento and Lorne for short breaks, eaten out I don’t know how many times (Vue de Monde, Botanical, Grossi Florentino among the best), this weekend we are off to Opera in the Vineyard but above all I have made friends, some Australian and some British.

If you told me now that I was going to have to go home soon then I would say “no way” but had you asked me that 2 months ago I would have said “where is the ticket!”

I don’t know if we will stay here forever but I certainly want to stay for the foreseeable future and experience Australia.

Vanessa who is now nearly loving it!!!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:58 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 months here and .....

Originally Posted by Vanessa

I don’t know how you all do it when you are coming independently and I take my hat off to you all. We had a relocation agent working for us who dealt with everything from removals to house hunting, TFN, medical insurance etc etc but still I found it difficult.

I had never been to Australia before but my husband had lived in Perth for about 7 years during the 1980s and 90s

We arrived in June and it was freezing! Well I had just left London where the temperature had been about 30 for nearly 2 weeks. Most of our winter clothes were on the container and did I miss my coat!?

I think what I have found really hard is not working. I know that some of you would see this as a godsend but when you don’t have children (have a stepson of 17 but that’s another story), friends and nothing is familiar around you it can be very difficult settling down. My husband started work straight away and I could feel myself becoming very resentful that he was out all day and I was shut away in a tiny apartment.

Anyway once we got our house and familiar things around us things have improved on a daily basis.

Whilst we used to go out in London to eat a lot we didn’t do much else but since being here we have been to the theatre 3 times, seen the Black Eyed Peas, been to Double Island nr Cairns, been to Sorrento and Lorne for short breaks, eaten out I don’t know how many times (Vue de Monde, Botanical, Grossi Florentino among the best), this weekend we are off to Opera in the Vineyard but above all I have made friends, some Australian and some British.

If you told me now that I was going to have to go home soon then I would say “no way” but had you asked me that 2 months ago I would have said “where is the ticket!”

I don’t know if we will stay here forever but I certainly want to stay for the foreseeable future and experience Australia.

Great post Vanessa and good to hear it's getting easier for you

Sometimes I think we can be quite hard on ourselves cos we expect to love Aus straight away, yet it's a foreign place with a "foreign" culture so it's natural that it takes a while to adjust.

Good luck on the job front. You've come this far which in itself shows determination and tenacity. No doubt a job will follow soon
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:16 am
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

Nice to hear you are settling in well.

You have the right idea, its important to get out there and explore, make friends and it makes all the difference.

Good luck with the job hunting,

TF
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vanessa

Nice to here your feeling a little better now, the first few months can be quite hard and stressful, but its good your feeling better each day.

All the best

Sue x
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Vanessa

Glad that things are going well. Which Mulburnians negligented to tell you to bring your winter coat with you

I know how you feel, I was at home for almost 5 months after we arrive, and I nearly went off my head but once you know your way around, and you are feeling settled, it improves ten fold. And of course, now that I am working, I wish I could have a day here or there sitting at home doing nothing

If you are enjoying Melbourne now just wait until summer kicks in, there is always so much going that you won't know what to do with yourself.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Vanessa

If you are enjoying Melbourne now just wait until summer kicks in, there is always so much going that you won't know what to do with yourself.

I have to agree with that, the fun is just beginning.

Glad to hear your loving this fab city Vanessa, even if you are 2 stone heavier with all that eating out.

Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:31 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I have to agree with that, the fun is just beginning.

Glad to hear your loving this fab city Vanessa, even if you are 2 stone heavier with all that eating out.

I can't wait for the summer, especially as we are opposite the beach. Mind you, you are right Bill when you say about the weight - more Dawn French doing 10 than Bo Derek! :scared:
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:35 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice to read such an honest thread. Although I'm also pleased that you're beginning to settle and enjoy the lifestyle. Good things come to those that wait